INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear T/D, Pea Green Glass, White Tip Limbs  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear T/D, Pea Green Glass, White Tip Limbs
« on: January 12, 2009, 05:05:00 AM »
Does anyone know anything about the Pea Green Glass, White Tip Grayling Limbs? Serial # 2-2682. Hand printing in black ink on the brown surface where it contacts the latch.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear T/D, Pea Green Glass, White Tip Limbs
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Don't know nuch about hem other than having two sets myself and seeing maybe two other sets besides yours.All have been #2 limbs.Weird color.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
"Don't know much about them" it should say.My fat fingers again.Sorry.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Joe Natske has two sets also one target weight and one around 50#'s odd ducks...bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
Forgot about Joes two sets Doc.Then I've seen maybe 4 other sets of these limbs.Still all have been #2 limbs.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
yap Joe's are both #2's also..bd

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
That mustard-colored glass was used on the early 70's Tigercat, I believe. I'm away from my catalogs or I could tell you what year. The stain on the core material is even the same as the wood on those. Odd ducks for sure. Wade, great to have you on here! How's the Bear bow collecting book coming along? CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I have never seen these before. Do they have serial numbers? Probably more proto-type projects.... must have been fun to own your own archery factory back in the day... I would be excited to go to work. Good to see you posting Wade!
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
NEVER EVEN KNEW THEY EXISTED...

Pictures someone...PLEASE!!!
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
John – Thanks for sharing photographs of your two sets and knowledge of other two sets. The set I have was Grumley’s. So perhaps my set is one you counted as one of the other two sets you know of. Let me know as we don’t want to double count these peculiar limbs.

bowoc – Good to know that Natske also has two sets.

ckruse – Great identification, your “mustard-colored” description is precise. I’ll use it to replace my inadequate “pea green” explanation. Present status of “Fred Bear’s Most Collectible Bows 1933-1966”… a draft in revision. Last year, I increased my Grumleys from roughly 30 to 100. The number of separate identified categories increased from 6 to several additional sub-categories that were previously just considered to be variations. It’s fascinating to have the opportunity to study each of these Grumley bows and discover previously unrecorded data. I had nearly every bow in the 6 initial separate categories, but am still missing a few in the sub-categories. My intentions are to have photographs of all the bows in all categories and sub-categories. I am still researching some of these sub-categories. Right now I don’t know if some missing bows in the sub-categories even exist in any Grumley collection. As for the newer bows, 1949-1966, I am pretty well set with everything needed to show every bow in every length and every riser variation and wood type of every year. Have also expanded some of the 1949-1966 era to include other bows. Past books have taught me, it’s hard to know where to stop… Also, have a couple other books to finish up before spending all my time working on the bows. Hopefully I will live long enough to complete all of these projects.

Chuck – Serial number is 2-2682. Not sure if anyone has any idea as to the limb serial numbers produced by year and month, but would guess that 2682 was produced within months after production began. When I acquired these “mustard” limbs they were presented as “experimental”, which is probably more accurate than “proto-type” a term is usually reserved for the original or first working model of an item. Not sure if they were really experimental or even a special order, but if I were guessing (which I try never to do), they might be categorized as simply a project to turn some left over, low demand, “mustard” glass into some revenue. There are probably dozens of other explanations for their existence.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I saw a set on the bay a couple years ago and hadn't seen em before.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 06:29:00 AM »
I like the color, wish I could find a set with a riser.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2009, 07:43:00 AM »
I like 'em!  #2's you say?  I'll take the 50#ers  :D
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
Here's my set. Tough color to photograph

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
Very Nice, I like the color also.

Looks like you got the pic thing fine tuned now Moose.  Great to see your input here.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Moose - Your limbs are different than the others shown on this thread, black in place of the brown... Do yours have white tips too?

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Hi Wade:
As I said a tough color to photograph.The color is close to the real color. The limb tips are white with yellow. The wedges in the limbs are a dark brown....Limbs are #2 and check out the serial number.............

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Hello Moose - The past two days, I went through hundreds and hundreds of old Bear photographs. Many are not known to be published in any document...

One photograph of the inside of Fred's office shows several T/D limbs, some black limbs, white limbs and you guessed, it, some that are in somewhere in between black and white. Unfortunately, the photograph is black and white, so I am unable to positively identify the limbs as being the Mustard Color, but I'm still looking for the color version of this photograph... Will keep you posted as I go through more photographs...

Offline Moooseran

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Hello Wade: just went to my web site to check the photos of Fred's Office and work shop. Didn't see any limbs there. I'll have to check more photos to see if I have anything.....Looking at the photos of the limbs posted here it seems that the colors are different. What do you think ???
Later...........me

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©