INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59' Kodiak questions  (Read 4615 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
59' Kodiak questions
« on: January 19, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
No I don't own one (yet). Why is this such a collectible bow? I read a couple posts where it was mentioned that it was one of Fred's favorites. Are there other reasons?

I do think it is a beautiful design. Is the main difference between this and the few years before the exotic woods in the riser or were there other changes?

Is the riser made from three 1/2" layers with purple heart sandwiched between rose wood or walnut?

I am considering trying a reproduction. I believe there are some good bowyers out there who make repro's but I would like to play with the idea in my home shop.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59' Kodiak questions
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
Shaun, you are on the right track. 1959 was a landmark year for Bear Archery in many ways.

It was the first year for exotic woods for the main part of the bow riser. There was some trim on earlier bows, but the first for a rosewood riser.

First year for the Bear coin in the riser. This would become an identifying characteristic of Bear bows.

First year for riser overlays.

First year for a color catalog.

The 59 Kodiak is plain and simple a great shooting bow. The strung profile is graceful and beautiful!

The most common configuration is Brazilian rosewood with a purple heart I beam. Maple and rosewood I beams are more scarce.

I'm sure others with much more to say and greater knowledge will chime in. Please keep us posted on your progress toward building some reproductions! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:36:00 AM »
CKruse,
 I think you pretty much summed it up.It's such a beautiful bow,even after 50 years.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Shaun I know there are some super good bowyers out there that most likely make a better stronger faster shooting smoother drawing more modern materials all the good stuff.No dout about it reproduction of 1959's....But man it just ai'nt the same.I've had around 15-20 reproductions over the last 20 years....Please note I said I've had....I only got one repro now and it was a trade.I personaly for the cost of a repro would search for an original and you may even find a 1959 for far less then some of the repro's sell for.Just some food for thought...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Shaun – You asked a very good question… Why is the 1959 Kodiak such a collectible bow?

While the 1959 Kodiak has become a popular collectible bow because of its graceful lines, the elegant beauty of its wood and glass colors, and its solid performance, other important factors are often overlooked for its well deserved popularity.

Historically, the 1959 Kodiak gained great fame for being used by most of the bowmen on the 1959 Little Delta Hunt on which several record animals were taken. I don’t know of a more popular or better book printed in the past 20 years than Glenn St. Charles’ “Bows on the Little Delta.” Any bowmen who has seen photographs from the 1959 Little Delta Hunt and/or read about that hunt, has probably had thoughts or aspirations to shoot a 1959 Kodiak.

Perhaps the most important factor that makes the 1959 Kodiak as popular as it is today, is the fact that the most common length and riser configuration of the 1959 Kodiak was made in large numbers and is readily available to today’s collector/hunter/shooter at moderate prices. The more bowmen who own and shoot 1959 Kodiaks, the more it gets talked about, and the more newer collectors want to try one. Not many Bear Bow collectors (except myself) will make a disparaging remark about 1959 Kodiaks.

To me the 1959 Kodiak is as much the true classic of Bear Archery Bows as my old 1957 Chevy Convertible is to the world of classic cars.

Another reason the 1959 Kodiak is so collectible is that so many different variations of it are in existence… Some of these variations are extremely rare, so serious collectors find it challenging (and can go crazy and/or bankrupt) trying to acquire every variation…

First the 1959 Kodiak was made in three lengths, 56”, 60”, and 64”... Then there are three different woods that were used in the center of the “I” beam, Dark Rosewood, Maple, and Purple Heart. And, there are also three noticeably different variations in the shape of the sight windows, each of which was advertised. However, not all of the 3x3x3 variations were produced.

Although the 1960 Kodiak might be called the slightly uglier, nearly identical twin sister of the 1959 Kodiak, in original condition, the 1960 is more reliable and performs a little better.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
I dont think i could add much that has not allready been said.I have had 2.A 60 inch and 64 incher.Both with rosewood I beams.Just a beautful bow.Sleek and trim with narrow limbs and sweet shooting qualities.

I currantly shoot a 64 incher and love it.Its the quietest recurve I have shot no doubt and very smooth and accurate.

I have had three 60 inch reproductions and prefer the originals personelly.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Wade, recently we saw a Bubinga sight window 59 Kodiak on the big auction site.  Obviously, Bubinga was not used often and who knows, maybe only once.

What other really "odd ducks" are out there as far as 59s go?

59s outside the 3X3X3 variations?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Shaun, an unmentioned trait of the 59 that really does it for me is the brown glass back and the autumn or burnt orange belly.  

The bows remind me of autumn every time I look at them.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Natske son's 1959 is also a bubinga ibean.I have only seen that one and one other plus the gbay bow for a total of 3...bd

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
300287819072  59 kodiak 56" 45# on the bay
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 12:57:00 PM »
SES- I think with the black and white overlays that the bow is a 1960 Kodiak that you are referring to. Too bad it has that compass in the handle.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:05:00 PM »
thanks being a newbe i dont know one from the other. it said 59 that what so good about this forum  thanks again
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Copper coin 1960...but that does not look like a standard Bear type compass..to bad...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Chuck - Now what's wrong with sticking a compass in a 1959 Kodiak ?... John wants to put one in a 1959 Kodiak, but it's a Maple Sight Window...

You don't really think adding that compass effects the value do you? Hey the Kodiak SES mentioned sold for $351, oh, yes we are not talking about the same year as it is a 1960... However it is the same year, same length 56" and same weight 45# that sold the previous month for $1,200 with no compass...

Not that is is precisely an identical comparison, being one year off, but maybe you better point out that comparison to John...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
OOOOOOOOpsie, that 56" 1960 has just got started. We'll have to wait so see if the compass effects the interest or value... Wade

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Well, I just got my foot out of my mouth long enough to get a snipe on that 56"...

Should be interesting...

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
as a collector, I like the bows I invest in to be as original as possible. I am not a fan of drilling any holes in any of my bows if I can help it. Granted, bows I have that are used for shooting/hunting purposes are sometimes modified to accomodate quivers, compasses, etc.

I am not interested in this bow, have at it guys.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 04:04:00 PM »
for the record, I think adding compasses or quiver bushings do de-value a bow as far re-sale value is concerned. Just like I believe a refinished bow is worth less than an all original bow. However refinishing is sometimes required to rescue a bow in distress to bring it back to it's former glory . I think there is a difference between "restoring" a bow back to as original as possible condition compared to "refinishing" a bow back to like new condition. good luck

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Trap – Not sure what you call an "odd duck". Guess a reversed color glass from back to belly, brown and orange, would be what I would call an “odd duck”…

I have both Maple Sight Window and Rosewood Sight Window 1959 Kodiaks without coin holes ever being drilled in them… how would you classify them, as legitimate collectibles or “odd ducks” ?

We should probably be a little more definitive than “odd duck” and try to create and define some easily understandable terms. Here is an initial draft to define variations of bows made on the same form…

“Documented Variation” – appeared in print during the era produced (the 3x3x3 mentioned earlier, etc.)
“Un-Documented Variation” – a difference that can not be changed (number of riser laminations, etc.)
“Cosmetic Variation” – things that are easily changed such as coins, serial numbers, tip overlays, anything added to or removed from standard model, etc.)

We’ll have to define each of these in detail…

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
Wade, of the two variations you mentioned without coins, which do you believe is the earliest and why? Just picking your brain and experience a bit! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©