INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59' Kodiak questions  (Read 4613 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59' Kodiak questions
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Bowdoc,
 Not to hijack the thread but I left you a private  message.John

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
To me there is a difference shooting the 60 and 64" inch '59 and '60 Kodiaks. The shorter length is more responsive at any draw, and the longer limb of the 64" bow should store more energy but does not seem to do that.
If you have an opportunity to get a good 60" bow, that's the one.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Here is an all original '59 Kodiak 60", 40#  with serial number I-JX-15 , still has the red and white overlays and purple heart site window. Possibly one of the latter models produced by Bear. It has the second generation flat bear coin found in most 1960 Kodiaks, not the original copper flat bear coin which is common in 1959 Kodiaks.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
I had two 60 inchers and currantly got a 64 incher.They do feel different to me.The 60 incher is said to be faster.I dont that at all.

The 64 incher is smoother on the draw and shoots  very very quiet.Its been more accurate for me as well.I do have a longer draw length though and it just fits me better.I am happy with its cast of an arrow.Its plenty quick for me at my 29 inch plus draw.I shoot a 10 and a 12 strand string on it with paddes loops.Its a sweetheart!!!

60 inch bows are favored in general by most archers for thier shorter length.The 64 inch version does seem to  be more rare?I have not seen near as many up for sale.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Chuck thats a great bow right there.I love the sleek lines of that one alot...bd

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »
Shaun I think the 60" is king primarily because "papa" preferred it.  

Here's an example of the oxidation/yellowing Doc spoke of;

Same riser.  In the first pic who knows for sure what wood? but in the second pic, pretty easy to tell. PH

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Chuck, that is a sleek profile on that bow. Very nice.  I love the picture of that one in front of the Christmas tree.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Doc, Trap- Thanks,  I had carpal tunnel surgery on both my hands/wrists last summer and I am just now starting to shoot again. I wanted a lighter poundage bow to start with.
In 2009 I am going to hunt with this bow, 53#, 60" refinished '59 K to celebrate it's 50 year birthday (Happy 50th to Alaska as well).  :archer:

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Chuck, I think there will be more 59 model bows headed to the field this year than in any year since 1959.  It seems like alot of folks are gearing up for the 50th B-Day celebration.  I know I'll participate.

Sounds like a 50th Birthday celebration thread is in order.   ;)   I have a couple of 59s being worked on so I'm going to wait and decide which one I'll be taking for walks this fall.  Should be fun.

So many other manufacturers of 1959 bows to consider as well.  

Trap

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAP:

So many other manufacturers of 1959 bows to consider as well.  

Trap
Trap- I don't even know you anymore....other manufacturers?? We have to talk...

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
Mine's ready for my 50 year old hunting party!    :archer:  
'59K 60" 51# Bear arrows, Razorheads & Leathertop

I just hope MY old equipment is in as good a working order as my "old equipment" is when the season rolls around!    :pray:

:D
>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
LOL Chuck, I saw a pic of what I think was a 59 Browning Explorer or at least that's what the guy said it was.  Very nice looking bow whatever it was.  Wish I had saved the pic.

Then there's the Herters and Pearson 59s.

A great year for bows!!!!

My "go-to" bow this fall will have a Bear silkscreen or waterslide on it but it will be a Bear so dont worry I havent strayedthat far.  

I may choose the smaller species of Brown Bear over his larger Kodiak Cousin though. I love my 59 Grizzly.  Time and lots of arrows will tell.  

Trap

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
Y'all are getting me worked up too!  :thumbsup:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
I've got my eye on one on the auction site that would be perfect to join the 50th year celebration team hunt. Bearquest and other hunts could be good with this set up. I don't think I have to worry too much about mentioning it to all you collectors, since its a 64" purpleheart SW and has holes drilled in the face and a bad tip overlay. Plus, you guys would all find it anyway and the worst you can do is push the price up to fair.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2009, 08:09:00 AM »
the worst you can do is push the price up to fair.
:biglaugh:  That sounds like a challenge!
I have my pristine 64" 52# '59 Kodiak, so you're safe from me (I can't buy a bow at a fair price now anyway!)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
I did not see the one with holes listed thanks Shaun...I have one myself and not going to buy another right now.My question is who's going for the 64" 50#er with the arrows that are in the original box ? check the stamp on the end of the arrow box.Thats a cool set up right there.It does have a little piece of one tip overlay missing ? there's some paper work also.The darn leather grip on that one looks really good too......bd

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
That one is the perfect weight, I'm going to try for it. The price will probably get crazy though, I can always hope.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »
Good luck on those guy's hope things go your way.bd

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Doc, that's the one. It was a different bow that has the sight holes (the signature Magnum) - my mistake. The only problem I see with this bow is the seller's "as is - no refund" policy. And of course the "Will not ship to Florida" caveat. (Just kidding seboomook - good luck.)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Here's how bad you gotta really really want one...Last month I got a really sweet mint 1959 Kodiak 55#er 60" with all the original equitment arrows quiver string shooting glove paper work and shipping box it all came in.I don't think the bow had ever seen the light of day.You could small Grayling when I cut the box open.You know how bad I wanted this bow ?? I got the bow and accesseries all for my wife of 37 years....I'am gonna miss her alot..........bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©