INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Lets get personal for a moment....  (Read 1558 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Lets get personal for a moment....
« on: January 19, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »
Something a little different but something I thought some of you Bear guys might enjoy.Last summer after a trad shoot up in Grayling I was invited by my friend Pete Kocefus to go to Fred Bear's old house along the banks of the AuSauble River right next to the old Bear plant.He got permission from the new owner so my son and myself stopped by for a bit to lok around and take some pictures.Boy was it cool being in that house.Talk about mojo.Here's one of my son in front of Fred's fireplace.This is the same fireplace shown in Fred's film "The Good Earth" with astronaut Jim Lovell.Jim and Fred are sitting in front of it in the film.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets get personal for a moment....
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Thats pretty neat sights sounds and smells of archery.Wow John your alot younger then I thought you were...bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Here's my son in front of the fireplace in Fred's bedroom.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Fred's bedroom again with a little bit of the view.Nice sunroom with a hot tub in the back and looking right out over the AuSauble River.Not sure if the hot tub was there when Fred was living there.Maybe Pete knows.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
Here's Fred's kitchen.Imagine the meals that were cooked here.Fare from all over the world from many of Fred's hunts.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Here's one from inside Fred and Henriettas personal bathroom off of their bedroom.Pretty fancy considering how old this is.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 04:27:00 PM »
Sorry about that last one.It is NOT Fred and Henriettas bathroom.I forgot to load a new picture.Here's the pic of their bathroom sink.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 04:29:00 PM »
One of the bathtub in the same bathroom.Where Fred washed off the dirt and grime from a long days hunt before settling down in front of the fireplace.Ahhhhh.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 04:32:00 PM »
Here's a nice shot of another room in Fred's house.What a beautiful view of the AuSauble River.No wonder Fred was so happy here instead of Florida and came back often in the fall.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I've saved the best for last.The Coup de Grace(or something like that).The King's Throne if  you will.I mean no disrespect here to THE MAN.Whether we like it or not fellas,alot of our time at home is spent right here.Sometimes it's the only quiet time we can get and escape from the distractions of  the outside world even if only for a short while.Grab a few hunting mags,maybe an old Kodiak or a photo album and get down to business.I would imagine Fred did  the same thing .Who knows what ideas may have been born right here while Fred was doing his thing.All part of the history of Fred Bear.
 I thank Pete for letting me tour Fred's house and take some pictures.It was a chance of a lifetime.I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Sorry guys,I did it again.Here's the photo for the last post.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Doc,
 I did have pics of me in front of the fireplace but I didn't want to wreck the post right off the git' go.Figured my son did the photo more justice and wouldn't be so distracting.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
Maybe, Just maybe, that bathroom color inspired the color of those pea-green/mustard colored TD limbs we've seen posted here recently  :saywhat:  

Cool Pics John, thanks for the tour.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Trap,
 I never thought of that.Maybe Fred did get the inspiration for those mustard colored limbs right there.Good observation.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
Ok John, let me get this straight... you take old Kodiaks into the bathroom with you?? Suddenly I want to go home and wash my bows...  :biglaugh:
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
John-
You know Pete Kocefus? The snow mobile guy? When I first "discovered" Fred Bear I wrote Pete a letter. He must be one heck of a nice guy, because he arranged for Mrs. Scott (widow of Fred Scott) to send me autographed pic of Fred from the old museum down in Florida. I have the pic framed and hanging near my bows.

I have never met Pete face to face, but I'm a big fan!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
LOL @ Chuck  :D  

You don't take your bows in there?  

What's up with that??

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
There I go thinking out loud again.I may have taken a Kodiak in there once,twice at the most.I was bored and didn't have any reading material on hand.
 Don't worry Chuck,I wash my hands when I'm done.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Bill-Yes I know Pete,the snowmobile guy.Met him many years ago while in pursuit of all things Bear.Good guy that Pete.

Rich-I didn't find any of Fred's toe-nail clippings,but it's not because I didn't look,although I did see some curly hairs in the bathroom.But Pete was in there before I was so I can't verify their origin.I left them alone.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Hey John, I loved that tour of Fred's place and thanks so much for doing it.

I'm sorry that you did not find any toenails for Rich, but someone said Mrs. Bear would not let him do that in the house.  He could only clip his toenails outside.

Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©