INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadhead collection question?  (Read 2648 times)

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
Broadhead collection question?
« on: January 20, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
I have been looking for a single blade broadhead to make a smallgame skinning knife (still no luck) and I have noticed that a lot of vintage broadheads were for sale and it had me wondering if anyone here collected broadheads and had a display of them that they could share some pictures of.

THANX
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead collection question?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:29:00 PM »
Your in the right place now.Won't be long...bd

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
THANX bowdoc!!!!!!!!

DAVID
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Lurp Dog - Would you want to see my entire collection of 5,000 plus traditional broadheads in order alphabetically, numerically, chronologically, in order of importance, or at random...  ??? It may take a while to load all those photographs on this thread…

For a skinning knife, I would guess that you want a convex edge blade, narrow but rigid, fairly hard and perhaps 3" or so in length. A common, inexpensive blade meeting these requirements would be a 2-blade Arrowmate. I have an extra blade in unused condition that I would be happy to send you for free. Let me know if you want a wider blade with more of a convex edge.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Wade,

That broadhead looks GREAT!  I would have to give you something for it! Wouldn't feel right! LMK what'ca want for it!

About your collection I was just looking to see if anyone collected broadheads and to see how they were displayed.
While looking for a broadhead for my little mnife project I noticed alot of older broadheads for sale and I might want to start collecting a few down the road.

SEE AY & THANX AGAIN
DAVID
FRED BEAR

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:57:00 PM »
David – Email me your mailing address and I will send you an Arrowmate blade and a few more old heads for your collection. I have thousands of extras so you will be doing me a favor for taking them and getting them out of my way. It’s a lot easier to give the heads away than go to all the work of selling them. If you will not accept them as an unconditional gift, just donate a couple bucks or something to Compton.  

Will also include a five pages from the Appendix of my book “Broadheads 1871-1971 Identification and Rarity Guide”, Second Edition. These pages will explain different methods of displaying broadheads and show photographs of parts of five of the largest broadhead collections ever assembled. These pages will give you some good ideas and explain the advantages of different types of displays. – Wade

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Wade,

E-mail sent and I must say that I REALLY do appreciate your generosity!
Folks like you are what makes this hobby/sport so enjoyable!!!!!!!

THANX AGAIN
DAVID
FRED BEAR

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
David - Email received. Your care package will be in the mail in the morning. - Wade

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
Wade,

Thank you so much!!!!!!

DAVID
FRED BEAR

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 06:23:00 PM »
Wade-ster you da man this week brother thats pretty cool...bd

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Wade, very cool  :thumbsup:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 11:09:00 PM »
Wade,
You wouldn't happen to have an extra "pinned bear" razorhead laying around that you could send me.I'm a big Fred Bear fan and I think that was his first example of the razorhead.Thanks in advance.
 Wade,you are the man!Nice.  :rolleyes:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 12:13:00 AM »
Hello John,

Actually the Pinned Bear was NOT the first Razorhead... check page B-6-1 in "Broadheads 1871-1971".. The first Razorhead was the Pre-Pinned Exp Razorhead, circa 1954. I do have the only two known. Fred gave both of them to Floyd. I would consider trading one of them for the right item/items of equivalent value. What are you offering?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
Well as far as vintage archery collectibles,I think you already own everything so I'm SOL there.I could offer up my wife.She's a great cook and a hard worker.What's that worth?LOL

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 08:02:00 AM »
Hummmm if there are only two of those 1954 exp's.that would make them pretty rare.I myself was in the broadhead bizz for a short time.The cost of haveing ferrules made and advertisment to sell them exceded the cost of a bow restoration.So I got out of the broadhead bizz.However I did make 3 exp's myself by rapeing ferrules off some eagle talons or crestwood....hummmmm.Here is a pic of one of only three ever produced...bd

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 09:05:00 AM »
Where can a guy purchase the book about bh's? I am just getting started collecting.

Thanks

Terry
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Chuck Homitz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
CONTACT WADE PHILLIPS ON ONE OF THE PREVIOUS REPLIES

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
John - Thanks for trade offer (I think). Remember, I met your wife a couple times when I stopped to visit you at your place. She is a very nice lady. However, knowing how she feels about your collectibles and keeping them out her sight, my guess is that after she walked through the front door of my house, she would kill me before she unpacked her bags. Thanks for the trade offer, but no thanks. I want to live for a while longer...

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Well,she has mellowed with time and has come to accept my sickness more than when you were here.Plus,you've got a lot more stuff to hide behind than I do.She'd never find you to kill you.LOL
 Wish I had something else to offer.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Let’s compare the values of the two heads mentioned…

1. Fred Bear vs BowDoc…
2. Greatest Bowhunter of All Time vs Greatest Bow Refinisher in Seattle
3. 1954 vs 2000…
4. One of Two Original Machined Prototypes of Greatest Broadhead Ever Produced vs One of Three Handmade Heads that were Never Manufactured
5. First Ferrule Fred Made and Slotted for Insert vs Raping 64 Razorhead Ferrule
6. Pre-Pinned Razorhead Authenticated in video of Fred with head in hand and explaining it vs BowDoc Trad Gang Photo and text

OK, BowBoc, I know you think you have a valuable head, but I’m not going to trade you even up…. What is your offer ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©