INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadhead collection question?  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead collection question?
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
BowDoc - What inspired you to make your Prototype Broadhead? Guess it should be called...

"Hole in the Head" (a catchy name can increase its appeal)

Looks like a Len Fisher inspired Round Hole... Tried to call Len in Seattle a while back, but he moved. Know where he is now?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
The deal was I always had a soft spot for the huge Bear razorhead,the Giant ? maybe ? So I kind of tried to come up with a better idea.Aluminum ferrules with stainless steel blades.No rusting problems sharpens up really good pretty tough piece of steel too.All of them I made were hand cut with a dremel tool that includes the hole.The ferrules as mentioned I pulled those off some old barbed Eagle Talons.
Getting new ferrules made ran into snag after snag.I could not buy enough ferrules to make it worth it.Then getting the blades cut with a waterjet or plas cutter rather then die stamped was another spendy deal.In the stainless and aluminum combo I only made 3 large 185 gr. 3 medium 150 gr. and 3 small 125 gr..here's the catchy name too Bob Super Giant,Giant and yes you guessed it Little Giant.
Belinda sent me some info on advertising in TBH and that was a bit more pricey then I figured also.So to sum it up the friggen cost was out of contol before I even got going.I was going to try and arrow a black bear in Que'bec last spring with the super mounted to a Sweetland but changed my mind at the last minute.Maybe this spring I'll go for the gusto.Just a fun project..
I have not seen nore heard from Len in about 2 years.He was haveing some medical problems last I heard....bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2009, 05:10:00 PM »
I recommend you take up a collection on Trad Gang and go into production. Send each contributor one signed and numbered head for their contribution. Also recommend you change the name to...

"Giant Hole in the Head"

Not sure if you know it or not, but there are only two Bear Giants known to have survived that are now in collections. Joe (now P&Y) has the one Fred gave to Glenn while on the 1959 Little Delta Hunt, and I have the other one, which was one that Fred broke out of the archives and took on his last Polar Bear Hunt in 1966.

I've never shot mine to see how it flies, but Fred said that they did not fly very well...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I actually know where there is one myself.Its only about 90 miles from my place its at the son's of one of the fellows that hunted with Glenn and Fred the year Fred handed them out.I dout that I would ever be able to obtain it though.Seems someone told the guy it was worth 10,000.00.That is a bit pricey for my budget.Who knows maybe someday I will hit the big time and just go buy the damn thing.Been driveing me nuts ever since I found out about it..bd

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
Boy, things got quiet   :bigsmyl:   ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
What "Floyd" are y'all referring too?...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Van,
 That would be Floyd Eccelston from Mt. Pleasant,Michigan.He owned an Archery Shop/Museum in Mt. Pleasant and was friends with Fred Bear,Nels Grumley,and many other of the "old timers".He had at one time the largest broadhead collection in the world.He passed away a few years ago.He was a wonderful guy.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
Wade, did you really send him a red ferrule arrowmate? or one of the more common black ones.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 08:33:00 AM »
... well well, and I payed $25 for a red 2-bld Arrowmate      "[dntthnk]"    

Okay, here is something I did in, I think, 2004:  

I enjoyed building it, sewing the neck-knife sheat etc. etc. - but to be honest, any broadhead-knife is crap, even with a SilverFlame blade, when compared to the real thing, built for the purpose (slicing not stabbing) - and IMO especially in a skinner. Well - have fun ...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 09:15:00 AM »
Wadde & Falk - I sent Lurp Dog an arrowmate blade so he could make a knife. I used the red arrowmate photograph to show the blade shape as I had that photograph handy, which saved me the time of taking another photograph. I hope you both feel better now, knowing that a red arrowmate will not be destroyed or that you previously made a poor investment in a red arrowmate. Also sent him some mis heads for his collection and information about broadhead displays.

Offline LURP DOG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
I'm sorry to have cause such ruckus with my request.
I was just looking for a broadhead for a little project.

Wade - PLEASE feel free to keep the broadheads as I don't want anyone to harbor ill feelings towards anyone!

THANX
LURP DOG
"there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun."
FRED BEAR

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2009, 09:33:00 AM »
Lurp thier just yanking your chain I think.
Wade is a good guy and I would be willing to bet he has at least one extra arrowmate to spare...Keep up the good work Wade.....bd

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Chute, everone can and should do to his belongings as it pleases him! Wade, even if you did sent a red ferrule - it is yours and it is NOT MY business after all. I just thought, I would have liked to get one for free and not what I've paid.

"Investment"?
In no way is anything archery related item which I ever aquired a sort of investment to me - at least not regarding money. I would never be able to get even half of that out what I put into it  (please, dont tell my wife!). But I have no inclination to sell anyways.

Lurp Dog - dont worry! Everthing is all right ...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
BowDoc – Good for you if you know where a Bear Giant is about 90 miles from your place. I know if you get it from the fellow, we will see photographs of it here in Trad Gang for sure.

I believe my above statement posted January 21, 2009 05:10 PM, is still accurate…

“…there are only two Bear Giants known to have survived that are now in collections.”

Actually there are “…only two Bear Giants known to have survived that are now in collections.”

For a number of years I have been aware of two other Bear Giants that were “reported” to exist. Unfortunately, the enthusiastic collectors who were in hot pursuit of these “reported” Giants were never able to actually lay their hands on them and photograph them to prove their existence.

I would strongly suspect that one of those two is the Giant you have now reported. I say this because one of the previously reported Giants was in the general area that you mentioned. If your “reported sighting” is not one of those other two, yours would be the third that may be acquired by a member of the collecting community and displayed in a collection someday.  

In the writings about broadheads in my books, the RARITY reference is to the number of heads that are known to exist in collections. I believe you can see the problems with trying to include “reported sightings”, is there two or are there three additional Bear Giants that may someday wind up in collections if the present owners don’t die and their heirs throw the heads in the scrap metal pile and they are melted down…

Although Fred reported that he made a couple dozen, where are the others? How should they be accounted for????

I do not include “reported sightings” of Bear Giants or any other heads. Until those “reported sightings” or “unconfirmed sightings” become a “confirmed sighting”, that is their existence is established with an actual photograph to prove they have survived, I can not consider any of the 2 or 3 as being in collections or being in existence.

BowDoc – If someone told this guy the Bear Giant was worth $10,000 and he believes that is its value, you should contact John and tell him you want a nice commission for picking up the Bear Giant for him. John may well give you a commission far exceeding the income from a day of refinishing bows. I know at one time, John was very interested in getting a Bear Giant more than any other broadhead. If John is not interested in such a transaction, let me know, as I know another very serious collector from Michigan who also desperately wants a Bear Giant. I will be more than happy to put you in touch with him.

I don’t want any commission for helping you make any transaction. I only want the satisfaction of being a party to helping get more of these rare, and historically significant artifacts into the hands of legitimate collectors; so they can be properly cared for and displayed in collections, for all to see.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
Fred left one Bear Giant out on the Arctic ice, cleverly hidden (some animals don't float).... I'll try to locate this broadhead and will keep you posted when I find it.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 12:02:00 AM »
Chuck - Very good point. In the video, Fred states that he hit the animal with a Giant and it sunk... and was never recovered. That would be either the 3rd or 4th possibility of locating a Giant. Not sure how to classify that one, maybe... Documented by Fred Bear but un-recovered from the Arctic Floor.

A suggestion for aid in the recovery of this Bear Giant, contact Dr. Robert Ballard, the legendary oceanographer famous discovering RMS Titanic, battleship Bismarck, aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, and  the wreck of John F. Kennedy's PT-109. He may want to add a Bear Giant to his impressive resume of finds.  Good Luck.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
I agree with you on the sighting.The B-G is like a UFO and I do need to make the trip and at least to see if its still in captivity.I would love to even be able to get a couple pics of it which I will try and do when the weather gets a little better.As for the value,I for one do believe the price is about right on that one.Those for sure would be a great collectable.I did wonder if thay went by the way side over the Polar ?
Chuck as soon a the ice starts thawing I will be up with my cut-offs finns and mask....bd

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »
Johnny, thanks.  That's what I was thinking but wasn't sure  :wavey:  ...Van
I love this country ;-)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
No problem Van.Totally enjoy your posts.

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I thought this was the Bear Giant?

…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©