INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Broadhead collection question?  (Read 2646 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadhead collection question?
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Flyrite - Nice Bear Giant Razorhead. Can you get it aligned true on your arrow?

Fred said that real Giant Razorhead did not fly very well...

How does this one fly???

Do you collect MBH Buttons?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Its not to bad to align, the real problem is getting it in the quiver. Trying to shoot thru trees also presents a problem, but the blood trails are easy to follow. Yes I do collect MBH pins.
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Those giants do'nt fly good at all I even coverd mine with plastic to keep it from rusting during flight tests.
If you think Fred's giant was short lived.You want to see a really super good short lived broadhead ??? Then check out the Bowdoc wooden broadheads.They were so good a flew so straight and true.They were one of the best broadheads ever.We were just setting up for production and realized some those compound shooters could not sharpen them.One guy said they would not hold and edge another said they floated...I just scraped the whole project after that....bd

Offline Flyrite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
I heard it was just a small splinter group of bowhunters that really liked them!
…finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant - and not nearly so much fun. (John Voelker)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 06:09:00 PM »
Here's a great broadhead by an even greater man.I know some of you guy's will guess this one real quick but some younger guy's might not.
I've shot razorheads about all of my years of bowhunting.I've killed 99% of my critters with bear razorheads.
This broadhead was one I just had to try one time.I arrowed a black bear in Que'bec 2004 with this one mounted to a Bill Sweetland forgewood arrow with a headshrinker.Great tribute to two great men.What is it ? bd    

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
Was this a question for a specific broadhead?
Anyhow, what the BowDoc took to kill a black bear and what is shown in the pic above is a StCharles "MickeyFinn"
There is a e8ay auction going on right now, with two Mickey Finns on arrows! That would be something to get and later take a critter with it ...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
Falk no prize I just loved the old StCharles broadhead.It was a great hunt.I had StCharles on the business end Bill Sweetland in the middle and powerd them with one of Bears best shooters a 1964 Kodiak..That was a pretty cool hunt with some pretty cool old tackle..bd

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Here is my new design. 2 1/8" cut, 384gr. 1900fps.
30 CAL-SLASHER

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Don, How did you slot the barrel to keep it all together for shooting without losing pressure. We can't use barbed heads here in Michigan but could cut off the end and use it for a fish arrow. Good idea!
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Gee's I love that one...now is taht a remington tip ??? bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
Don - Neat Cartridge Case Head. Have seen a few others that are over 50 to 70 years old...

Perhaps the most unique is Archery Hall of Fame Inductee, Karl Palmetier's circa 1930s, .30 Caliber, Cartridge Case, 5-Barb Broadhead. It is shown at the bottom of page 22 in "Broadheads 1871-1971 Identification and Rarity Guide, Second Edition".

Palmetier's head was a legitimate broadhead that he mounted on an arrow and used for shooting fish. It is actually one of the most functional old fish broadheads ever made. It is also one of the many favorites in my collection.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Karl
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©