INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Happy Birthday 59  (Read 8399 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Happy Birthday 59
« on: January 23, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
To celebrate the 50th Birthday of some of the greatest bows ever built, I'm going to make a standing offer.  There are a few stipulations so please pay attention.  

I know many of you are planning on heading to the woods this fall with your favorite 1959 model bow and I want you to share your setup and maybe even your hunts with us.  It doesnt have to be a Kodiak.  It can be a Grizzly, a Polar, a Kodiak Special, a Pearson, a Wing etc.

I'll send a repro feather rest to anyone that shows a picture of a 1959 bow that they plan to hunt with and ready to hit the woods.  Bow, quiver, arrows broadheads, The whole package. This will be on the honor system. If your 59 is too pristine to hunt with there will be many other threads to showcase it on.  This is for the workhorses out there.  The meat collectors, so to speak.  

Something like this, you know, all dressed up and ready to go.  This isnt the bow I'm going to hunt with but you get the idea.

Feel free to tell us about your setup and share harvests pics as the seasons progress.  Maybe some turkeys, antelope, deer, Bears, rabbits, geese, whatever.  Well almost whatever. Maybe just some hunting photos with your 59 featured of course.

This could be alot of fun and if the thread falls down hill it will be easy to search for to claim your rest or post a pic.  Just remember "Happy Birthday 59"

Sound good?  I have about 10 rests ready to go and Spring turkey season is just around the corner so get busy setting them up  and taking pics.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Happy Birthday 59
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 02:50:00 AM »
Sweet pic Daryl.Can't wait for this thread to take-off.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »
I'am in..........bd

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:14:00 AM »
I will be taking the one that the Doc is working on now to the woods.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
BH you maybe better come on up north ahh ? along with myself Shaun and a few others useing the old girls to try and arrow a bear with a Bear this spring.
I do have a kind of standing offer...well maybe to get it printed in an archery magazine.No big name magazine but may still be cool just the same.Might be cool to read something like 7 bears for 7 sisters after 50 years.Or maybe 9 bears for 9 brothers.Going to different schools together and now the class of 1959 reunionen and the who's who...hell yeah I'am in.this one better known as the purple haze.bd      

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm in...got my feather rest just a couple of days ago. (not yet installed) Thanks Daryl, beautiful work!

'59 Kodiak 60" 51#, Bear arrows tipped with '59 Razorheads in a '59 4 arrow tape-on Leathertop.

Happy Birthday, Let's PARTY!!    :notworthy:

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
That quivers nice TRAP.Is that my old one.Looks good on the bow no doubt!I will se about posting a pic of my 59er.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Trap – This 1959 Kodiak is a real piece of lumber, Brazilian Rosewood... “The Beast” 80#, signed by Glenn St. Charles. Will be taking along this fall as back up the back up bow to the 59 "Old Spot". “The Beast” really spits out this 1959 Bear Giant Razorhead. The Ultimate Heavy Duty “All 59” Bear Bow & Bear Broadhead Set up”….

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
Wow I mean no disrespect Mr Phillips but can you pull 80#'s...no BS....come on no bs eather and nextly would you feel good shooting 80# on the style and year bow ? and nextly since your handing out FREE broadheads this week what the heck your old buddy bd is at 220 sw bla bla bla.I just had to do that.I love you man....bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »
BowDoc – At my age everything seems to be getting stiffer, except what should be. Haven't quite worked up to "The Beast" yet this winter, that is why its present status is #3, the backup to the backup for 2009. A few years back, I quit taking along my old backup to the backup, a 100# 1957 Kodiak (little brother to Bill Negley's 102# Elephant bow). Looks like 09 is shaping up to be an All-1959 year, so may have to dig deep into the antique archery arsenal and give some of the old dust catching 59s a well deserved workout.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
My backup is a 454 Casull w/ 245 gr hollow points. Very effective plan "B" when a bear takes special interest in a bowhunter. My backup to my backup will be my hunting partner with a 1100 12 gauge with a slug barrel, firing 1 1/4 ounce Brenneke slugs.  I've concluded that pepper spray is just a spicy seasoning  for the bears.... never bring a knife to a gun fight...
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure out your "setup" there Wade.  I see there's no arrow. Do you just throw that Giant razorhead at an animal because the bow is too heavy to draw?   ;)  

Thanks for the pics Guys,  they sure look better to me when they are loaded up than when they're just hangin around on a bow rack.  

Keep them coming, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »
My main bow this season will be a 60", '59 Kodiak in 47#. I have not yet decided on arrows.     :confused:    

My backup is a 64", '59 Kodiak in 55#.

Lon Scott

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
That's what I'm talking about!!!!!

This thread could get GOOOOOD    :thumbsup:    

Rests are on the way guys.

Thanks Eric and yes that is your old quiver.  It looks right at home.  

Trap

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 12:54:00 AM »
Show us how it is done! Way to go Trap!! I am in and here's my bow with your rest already applied and ready to hunt. I'll be shooting ash arrows with some Bear razorheads.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
Wow Bjorn, that's one of my old "prototype" rests with fake feathers and a high profile.  

Sweet bow, but we can do better on that rest.

Is that your 50#er?  

Maybe on your Mid Febuary Hog Hunt that 59 will bring some special MOJO and you can add the first 59 harvest to this thread.

Trap

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2009, 02:38:00 AM »
Fake feathers aykm? Yes, that is the 50#,can't do the 57# justice anymore. Hafta' shoot the 50# and make some arrows to get ready.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2009, 07:13:00 AM »
"Real" feathers, "articifial" bars   ;)  

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
I got a 1959 Grizzly 46#er rock solid shooter all original condition not mint but solid.I have a feather rest on it as well.I was gonna sell the griz for like 12.50 however I want 450.00 for the feather rest and I won't break them up sorry........bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
:scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©