INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Happy Birthday 59  (Read 8398 times)

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Happy Birthday 59
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2009, 06:10:00 AM »
congrats Wade. Well done.   :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys. Not really much to shooting “Old Spot”, just sort of point him in the general direction and he always seems to know what to do next.

Just now realized that the first day in camp, when I inscribed the “Black Arrow”, that I misquoted the line in “The Adventures of Robin Hood”. I used the word “results” rather than “verdict”. Errol Flynn’s line was “… Its verdict is always final.”

Also made up my “Black Arrow” a little differently than those used in the movie. I used three black feathers rather than the three white feathers on Flynn’s “Black Arrows” when he shot the bad guys and shot the arrow into the paper that was lying on the table.

Figured the all black “Black Arrow” was the ideal camouflage for hunting from a blind that is all black inside.

Guess that “Black Arrow” will have to be retired. Will make up another one with three white feathers more like those in the movie, which were cut fairly close to the shape of the feathers that Saxton Pope cut his to on his arrows.  

Will also inscribe the correct words on this “Black Arrow” - “… Its verdict is always final.”
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
very nice Wade a great tribute to old spot for his 50th birthday.
The bd's 50 year old Kodiak worked super good on its 50th birthday elk & mule deer hunt.The bow itself shot flawlessly as always.However somewhere on or around sept.1st when the season opened the 57 year old nut on the handle came loss for some odd reason and I could not tighten it up.It was all down hill from there.I would like to add I did manage to scare the hell right out of a few critter with the old 59 Kodiak though.bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Doc - Know exactly what you mean. I've had many screws come loose over the years...

Trap - On our travels west we stumbled across this thriving enterprise... Thought you would get a kick out of it, even though they have an extra letter "P" in the name... I believe the little sign on the post in the tire says "Customer Service".

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
What the heck, You were that close to my house and didnt stop in to sit a spell?????

Some friend you are.

Trapp
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I could run over the hills all day long as a lean 160 pound kid.  
Well Wade to paraphrase, you may not be as good as you once were, but evidently your as good three times as you ever were...

Dang, from the sign I am seeing I'll be lucky to just get a shot!

Bernie

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Trapp - Actually I did go up and knock on the door, but nobody answered. You must have been gone. Didn't think of it until later, but we should have left a note on the door.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #187 on: September 23, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »
Great shooting Old Spot and Wade!

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Hey, shouldn't all you Iowa boys be putting this up top with some big bucks about now???  Let's not have this go on the 2nd page...

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2009, 01:29:00 AM »
Just happened to notice this 1959 Ben Pearson Scalp... figured it should be posted on the Happy Birthday 59 thread...

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:00 AM »
Heads Up! LH 59 Kodiak, 64", 50# kodiak immacutely restored by Bowdoc, great shape, going to the big auction Saturday. Hard to find a nicer one but I want to reduce my inventory of duplicate bows and I am selling several the next couple of months.

-Joe-

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Been out alot with the Grizzly, seen alot of deer, just hasn't come together yet.

When I got home tonight I shot the '59 and the '59/'60 transition Griz in the basement. I had one group of 4 arrows all touching, two from each bow. I really like Grizzlys!  :bigsmyl:
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
A "Special" hunt....Kodiak Special that is.
  I just returned home last night from a hunt at my Grandfathers farm in Crockett,Texas. As is with alot of traditions, hunting on the family farm is always something special.
 I've harvested many deer and much bigger deer in my life but none as special as this Buck. It was the first Traditional kill of my short career shooting a recurve. I used the first bow I choose to do a restoration job on,1959 Kodiak Special 64" #50 and since I've been shooting it the most, I felt that it was the one to go with.
  The acorns have started falling in earnest and I knew I didnt want to take a shot outside my comfort zone so I set my limit to 20 yards or so and felt if I choose the right tree I could get closer. My goal this year was to take a Doe or Feral Hog which are in abundance around our property. I didnt want to get too far ahead of myself and thinking I deserved a Buck yet.
 As luck would have it, I did get my first shot off at a Doe that was coming into feed with a couple others. I hunt from an elevated tree stands some lock-ons, a Tri-pod,and a climber. I was in the climber at about 15ft.and and the Doe past at approximately 12-13 yards, she gave me a good broadside shot, the shot right to left was good I just missed on the aim high 2"-3" between her ducking some and having never shot my bow from a tree it was a learning experience to say the least.
Approximately 45 mins before dark an younger 8pt Buck [Texas count:)]came cruising in looking for a date. But the date wasnt what I think he had in mind. As I looked him over to be sure he met the minimum antler restriction in our county I had decided he did, he had closed within 10 yards of my stand location.
 I figured I would draw and get set paying close attention to my anchor point and aim to make certain I send the arrow on it's intended path. At about 5-6 yards and must have got a whiff of me and stopped then looked up, we both made eye contact and then without delay I released my arrow, however short the flight was true, due to the great feather rest constructed by Trap. (Thanks Trap!)
So I have far exceeded my expectations and look forward to many more Traditional hunts in the future....

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
Way to go Chris. I bet it can’t get much better than this I imagine. Congradulations my friend.

Simon

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Congrats Chris!

A beautiful buck.
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2009, 10:27:00 PM »
I was lucky enough to get three chances tonight. I've missssssed 4 (four) times this year prior to the last shot I took tonight.

I've practiced from elevated stands at home and still missed.

The third shot tonight, I really had time to make everything feel right, and concentrated harder and was rewarded with this nice fat button buck.

More details over in Pow Wow.

'59 Grizzly
'59 Bear Razorhead
Cedar arrows
Kenny

of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #196 on: October 28, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »
congrats to both of you,good job.  :clapper:    :clapper:

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #197 on: October 28, 2009, 05:00:00 AM »
These 50 year old bows are still getting the job done as Fred intended. Congrats back to you Kenny! our family's will eat well...  :thumbsup:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #198 on: October 28, 2009, 05:53:00 AM »
OUTSTANDING MEN OUTSTANDING.I gotta try and get back out on the 20th on Nov.for the late opener but things are'nt going so good at bowdocs right now and it may be closer to Dec.1st before I get back out there.bd

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2009, 06:43:00 AM »
Great job guys!

Kenny, you're my hero...I put my '59 Grizzly back on the rack until later in the year. After 3 misses on turkeys and 2 on squirrels, we're not on speaking terms at the moment   :banghead:

Congrats!
Bernie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©