INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Happy Birthday 59  (Read 8405 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Happy Birthday 59
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
Doc, I may be interested in your feather rest if Florida outbids me.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Oh yeah we can hunt with Grizzlies too........
'59 Griz with a Bubinga sight window

And a Butcher Block riser............

It is 53#; and it now has the correct coin. I did not have the right leather for the wrap, and it needs the proper feather rest of course!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
Shaun I need you to win that one with the paper work and arrows off gbay.Man I want to look that stuff over badly...bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 12:50:00 AM »
That's a beauty Bjorn,

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
some day i will figure out how to post pic's hear. That bow is going to texas to kill some javies in Feburay.

doug77

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
I got me 8 1959 Bill Sweetland forgewoods and will dig into my broadhead stash and see if I got some early bear razorheads to go with the package to Que'bec for bear this spring...
Quivers we gotta talk quivers.One of you guy's have a scan of the Bear catalog page showing the quivers for 1959 ? bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 09:56:00 AM »
back quivers or bow quivers Doc?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »
Doc,
sent you an email with p.12 of the 1959 catalog

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
back quivers and bow quivers both...Thanks Falk I check the pic of the tape on and the screw on for 1959.I don't have a tape on.I got 3 different year screw on.I'am certin the middle quiver could not be a 1959 because it has no silk screen pat.number on the hood the hood is original black color rather then brown maybe 1954-1955-ish and there is no slot for the bleeder blade on the back where the single arrow mounts eather.
The quiver on the rightside of the pic has all the correct numbers No.2,464,068 and No.3,209,176 the last pat no.though is more from 1961-1962-ish ???
The quiver on the leftside of the pic does have the bleeder blade slot but only has one pat No.2,464,068 which I thought was 1958-1960-ish ??? bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
May have been a Bear Archery custom shop bow at that draw weight and lettered there ? it does look original..bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
John - Thanks for posting the photograph of AA039. What is the weight on that one? I’m guessing it has a purple heart sight window? Hey I would even bet on that, if anyone is interested in betting…

Shaun – Your Butcher Block Coin Slab 1959 Grizzly is a cool bow. In my entire life, I have only ever said that about one other Grizzly.

BowDoc – Bear Bow Quivers – Patent No. 2,464,068 was filed Jan 16, 1946 and granted March 8, 1949. Patent No. 3,209,740 was filed Dec 29, 1961 and granted Oct 5, 1965. I also have additional pre-1961 documentation from Fred himself about another quiver I have seen only one example of to date.

BowDoc – Your no slot, no patent #, black bow quiver is the first production Leather Cap. In the No Slot, I have both RH & LH, as well as No Logo and With Logo Only (no pat #s). While far from common, I have seen several other No Slot quivers show up over the years. They nearly always seem to be a nice conversation piece accompanied by much speculation and folklore. You mention 1954-1955-ish for the year. I have 1956 as the earliest documented date, so I will dig a little deeper, and round up all the usual suspects.

Trap – You may have to clarify this a bit, do you want to see bow quivers used that were the models available only in 1959, or all bow quivers that were available in 1959 and before. Either way, I can post photographs of any or all of these Bear Bow quivers if you wish.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2009, 01:21:00 AM »
Wade, it is Bjorn's Griz on pg 2. but I do think its cool.

I am also interested in what bow and/or back quivers were available on or before '59. Were the Indian canoe stamped back quivers around then?

Just picked up my first 1959 off the auction. So, I'm in for the Happy Birthday 59 hunt with my new 56" 45# @ 27" compass handle sweetie. I'm thinking I only had to pay about a C over what its worth. Then again, they are worth what someone is will to pay as you all have said in other posts. 300287819072

I'll post a photo of the set up when I get it and have the rest of the period gear assembled.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2009, 01:47:00 AM »
Wade, I was just hoping to see everyone's 2009 hunting setup featuring 1959 equipment,

Show me a bow ready to hit the woods that you plan to hunt with during this 50th Birthday year and I'll send you a feather rest.  

I welcome any other pictures people want to submit to the thread.  I don't think anyone gets tired of eye candy.

Congrats Shaun, you're ruined forever now.

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Ok now where's Johnnyboy ? and Trap...you guy's caused me to have to install a quiver bushing in my own 1959 now so's I can use the 1959 screw on quiver....
Wade not that its any big deal or more value other then to me.I got the no slot quiver from Frank Scott as a tip for some bow work I did for him.He also said what you said it was one of the first leather cap production type bow quivers.I've sold a couple other no slot but they did have the brown hoods.thanks for the pat no.info...bd

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »

Haven't decided which to hunt with this year.  The few times I got out last year the '59 Grizzly was with me (53#, refurbished by Bjorn).  The KSpecial (64" 53#) was refinished, but the Kodiak (64" 52#) and Polar (64" 50#) are both original with the exception of the strikeplates and the rug on the Kodiak.  I'd be surprised if the Polar was shot more than half a dozen times in 50 years and the Kodiak looks to be about the same except for the stains on the leather.  Dang near flawless the pair of them!  The wood on the Kodiak is amazing:

Notably missing from the lineup is the '59 Alaskan (I don't count the Panda   :)  ).  I had a sweet Alaskan, it left the rack to make room for (and funds for) the Kodiak.

Everything but the arrows in this pic came from Frank and Shell.  Does this count as decked out for hunting?  Do I get a rest?   :D   LOL!
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2009, 09:51:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics Jeremy, sure, that Polar setup qualifies for a rest.  PM me your address.

The wood in that 59K is smokin    :thumbsup:    

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
Good looking stuff there Jeremy...bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
Hope you photographed the bushing installation process for the restoration thread Doc.  

You'll love it Brother, You know you will.

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Well its looking like today may be bushing hole drilling day.Its friggen 20 degree's at my place and there is just no way to spray in those temps.I would be shakening so bad it would be hard to get any finish on the bows.bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2009, 10:17:00 AM »
Doc-First the bushing,now the compass.You are under my power.Now close your eyes.You're getting sleepy...sleepy...slee..ZZZZZZZZZZ
 Now pack up all of your Kodiaks and send them to Johnnyboy.
 Like Trap said,you're gonna love it!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©