INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Breakfast in Texas  (Read 671 times)

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Breakfast in Texas
« on: January 23, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »
Gotta see this

JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Breakfast in Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »
:cool:

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 05:13:00 PM »
Pretty good table manners. Are those whit tail deers? - Simon

Offline LONGBOWKID

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Thats cool right there. Had a couple deer in my time, always mean when it came to feedin time..

Hooves to the thighs hurt!
Turkey Creek Longbows
60" 46#@29"
62" 51@29"
62" 61#@29"
62" 77#@29"

Holm-Made Osprey
60" 67#@29"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
I used to have many right at the house.

Huntin' club next dore has about wiped them out

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I think it's kinda sad to reduce white-tailed deer to livestock.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
Yeah, sad....let's just stick razor tipped sticks in their vitals.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
To answer your question Simon,

the "pets" in the video are representatives of the species Odocoleus Viginianus commonly known as white-tailed deer.  

These particular specimen's  behavior has been severely altered by one or more humans.  

The artificial feeding, especially to this extreme, doesnt really do hunters or hunting any favors.  

Believe it or not, there are alot of folks out in the "real" world that would view this video and not realize that wild free-roaming white-tails do not normally eat off of plates.  I know that is hard to believe but many people in todays society are that far removed from the land.

When it comes time to defend hunting as a game management option or even tougher as a recreational activity these fuzzy little videos severely hamper efforts to to so.  

Sounds like maybe I touched a nerve with my previous statement and if so, too bad.  I'm not going to apologize for having respect for one of the Good Lord's greatest wild creatures.  To domesticize them sickens me.  

Hunting them with razor tipped sticks under fair chase rules pays them much greater respect than feeding them from a bucket and weakening the species by contributing to disease and dependancy on humans.

I feel the same about feeding birds at bird feeders and I don't hunt them so maybe I'm just an extemist.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
TRAP

I love the fuzzy l'il creatures that come to the feeder in by back yard.  They don't eat off of plates, they won't come close enought to let me pet them, and they are very leary of people.  These are the same deer that hunters are after on the WMA behind my house.

Now I am reluctant to hunt these particular fuzzy l'il creatures becaus they are like pets to me.

However, this does not keep me from travling about 1/2 mile from my home to stick razor tipped sticks through the vitals of other fuzzy l'il creatures.  Especially fuzzy l'il creatures with bone protruding from their heads.

I am  bow hunter.  I hunt the fuzzy l'il creatures with my stick and string.  Now, I have been known to sit in my stand with a field point on my arrow, and when a doe comes by I will pick a spot on a tree the same distance away and see if I can hit it.  This instead of killing a doe that I may not want to fool with.  But rest assured, I have broad heads in my quiver, and if Bambis grampa makes the mistake of getting within 20 yds of me, I'm going for him...regardles of what Thumper or Flower might say.

Did you hit a nerve with me?  Not at all.  But sometimes we need to sit back and laugh at ourselves.  I find it interesting that as hunters we justify our sport in the name of game control, but there is not one of us that would object if we found out that our State wildlife officials will be transplanting Wisconsin or Canadian bruisers into our areas in an effort to "improve" or increase our deer herd .

I don't get down on anyone for hunting, I don't defend hunting, and I don't feel like I have to justify hunting.  If I want to run around the woods sticking arrows in fuzzy l'il creatures, I will do it with out appologizing to anyone as long as it is legal.  On the other hand, if I want to hand feed the l'il suckers in my back yard...I'm gonna do that too.  Who knows, I may try to catch one, mount a red TRAP feather rest on his head to make him purty, and turn him loose.  :biglaugh:  

Lighten up.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »
Trap
I was not 100% shure if they were white tails (Odocoileus Virginianus) because they seem small compared to the ones I see around here. Not a big size difference, but notisable.
-Simon

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I know you are a hunter Jack and from reading your posts in the past I know you have respect for wildlife.  Not just the killing of it, but observation of it and an appreciation for wildlife that just knowing it's out there brings.

I'm not trying to start a fight Jack, but I'd respectfully argue that you do your share to defend hunting through your involvement and membership in organizations, or even your involvement in websites that do so.  Not to mention your purchase of hunting licenses.

With that being said, I'd just like to toss out a warning that videos like this are interpreted by some people differently than they are others.  

We as hunters are close to the land.  We have seen how "wild" animals really can be when trying to take them with a bow and arrow.  Sadly there is a segment of our society that could view this video and see it as "normal" deer behavior because they just don't know any better.  I feel sorry for them about as much as I do the "altered" deer.

My girls are 9, 7, and 5 and they enjoyed the video and I gladly showed it to them. We had a brief talk about the pros and cons of feeding wildlife while watching the video.  Nothing heavy, just the pros and cons. They can form there own opinion, but because of my involvement with wildlife they'll luckily see the true wild untamed beauty of white-tailed deer and other wildlife.  

And yes, they have bird feeders hanging in the trees around our yard (initially against my wishes)and they cry whenever our cat picks off an artificially fed bird and eats it.  In the end, they love the cat and don't hold it against her.  And I suppose that's a good lesson as well.  We all gotta go sometime and somehow.

Trap

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
Like I said...let's not take ourselves too seriously.

Simon

I'll guarantee you that you smallest deer is bigger than our largest here in the South.
I has to do with heat conservation and retention

The larger an object, or animal, the less surface area per pound it has.  Northern deer are larger and have less surface area per pound.  This helps them retain heat in the harsh Winters.  On the other extreme, the Florida Key deer are very small.  They have more surface area per pound and this helps them disapate heat in the hot climates down there.

My first deer kill in Georgia ended up being a button buck.  By my standards based on the South Louisiana marsh deer that I was used to hunting, it was an average size deer, and I thought it was a doe.  It Georgia it is considered a baby.

You base them on what you are used to seeing.  For Gerogia, the deer in the video are a bit on the small side.  For Texas...I don't know.  Never seen Texas deer on the hoof.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©