INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stanley F. Spencer?  (Read 3322 times)

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
Stanley F. Spencer?
« on: January 24, 2009, 02:12:00 PM »
I have a copy of "The Spencer System of Shooting The Bow" and have been looking for some information on Stanley Spencer. Other than he was converted to archery by Compton and he won the Nation Tournament in 1926 I cant seem to find much about him.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows much about him? Or maybe someone can point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Matt

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stanley F. Spencer?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
Hello Mate, Wade most likey can help u out he should be along any time....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Matt - Stanley Spencer was one of the best known archery personalities of the 1920-1940s era. National Archery Association Champion. Mentioned in many articles in YSA and ABR. He was from San Pedro, CA. Has the distinction of being one of the hunters on the first national bowhunt, the 1930 National Jamboree on Lobster Mountain in Oregon. I have several handmade arrows that were used by Bowmen on that Hunt, including one of Spencer's. Arrows are from Roy Case, who also hunted during the Lobster Mountain Jamboree. You had to really want to be a bow hunter in 1930 as most of these guys made all of their own all wooden tackle... The arrows are in a glass case so can not get a good photograph. Will try to get one for you later if you want to see his arrow.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »
Thank you guys.

Wade,
now I have a place to start looking for more info to go along with my book, thanks. I'd love to see a photo of the arrow if you get a chance. Your knowledge on the history of archery is amazing to me. BTW, I just read Codys thread about Grumley and I just want to say, i really think you should write a book about him. I know i would certainly buy it. May even be willing to trade a reporo deerslayer for an autographed copy  :)  Thanks again Wade.

Matt

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Matt - These are six of the handmade wooden arrows used during the 1930 Lobster Mountain Hunt. The second one down is Stanley Spencer's. The other five arrows were made by other well known 1930s Archery Personalities. Does anyone know who?

Thought we might have a little fun if there are any old wooden arrow collectors out there…

On the image, I removed the other names on the arrows, then numbered each arrow 1 to 6 …

The first person to correctly identity each arrow correctly, will receive one original Roy Case Broadhead from me.

For each arrow you identify incorrectly, you will have to explain your reasoning for your “guess”, before your future attempts to correctly identify an arrow will be eligible for consideration…

When Trad Gang members correctly identify each bowman who made and used the other five arrows, I will load of a photograph of more old arrows used on the 1930 Lobster Mountain Hunt.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
Ok I will make a fool of myself,I've never had a problem doing that before...5&6 do a little maybe just a little do kind of look just a tiny bit like something Kore may have used.The reasoning behind my guess is because I have seen all 3 type broadheads and arrow shafts Kore built or shot or used.I had the opertuitey to handle those items first hand but several years ago and do kind of recall Kore arrows with that type fletch more so on number 6 then 5 I would say...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
BowDoc - Number 5 is one of Kore's arrows. Congratulations. I will send you a Roy Case Broadhead. It will be in the mail Monday.

BowDoc - Number 6 is not one of Kore's arrows... Sorry. I will give you a hint... it was made a bowman in a neighboring state...

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 05:49:00 PM »
Great Arrows Wade.
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 06:38:00 PM »
You know how it is at my age now you really got me guessing.I'am thinking it was to early for Mr StCharles then.I gotta think about this one.bd

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Thanks Wade. The arrows look like they could have been produced last year.

I wouldn't have a clue as to who the arrows belonged to but I'll make a guess. The first one is a Roy Case arrow and number four is a Kore arrow. I'm only guessing number 4 because it looks to be built by the same person as five.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Matt - Yes, the arrows are in great shape. At the end of the 1930 Lobster Mountain Hunt, the bowmen exchanged arrows as mementos of the hunt. Roy Case was a broadhead collector so he took the broadheads off the arrows and put them in his display, then put the arrows in a box. I got the box after Roy passed away,through another party who lived near Roy. Plain Lucky! Roy had neatly tied the arrows together with sting, the arrows had remained in the box for about 70 years, so they were all very well preserved. With photographs of Roy's broadhead collection identifying each broadhead by the makers name and as a Lobster Mountain head, it is well documented which broadhead was original to each arrow. Over the past several years, it has been a worth while challenge to find and then replace the exact broadhead on each of these historically significant arrows.

Matt - Sorry, #1 is not a Roy Case - What was logic for guessing that?

Matt - Your answer is incomplete for #4, Kore who? What was his last name? I let BowDoc slide on his answer, but if you are just copying BowDoc's answer you will have to add Kore's last name which must be spelled correctly. It is easy to misspell.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »

Kore X. Xxxxxx at a round of archery golf - Sunrise Meadows, Mt. Rainier National Park,1940.

(I found his full name. Don’t want to ruin Matt’s chance to get that  Roy Case Broadhead.)

-Simon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Dang Wade as soon as this guy I know gets out I mean get back home I will be able to recover a good number of missing items I know you will love to see.Three of Kore's arrows white shaft with red bands around them and three broadheads same lot from several years ago.There is also a side quiver I believe must have been his too as thats where the arrows were.Some great items in storage until his return..bd

Offline huntersim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 11:04:00 AM »
LOL Wade. Yeah i was just riding on Bowdocs coat tails....sorry bowdoc.

Kore T. Duryee. Looks like Simon got it first. And he probably knows much more about him than I do.

Not much logic for #1 other than it was at the top of the photo and he was the one you mentioned getting the arrows from.

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Matt
I’m a complete newbie. I learn as I read these great posts. I searched the net, that’s all. It’s great to learn all this new stuff, the history of American archery is very interesting.

I’ll give a shot on the second one : Ken Wilhelm?

Why? Just because JavelinaHink posted a pic of a similar arrow this morning.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=001815;p=1#000007

And found many links  http://www.cbhsaa.net/hallfame/bios/kenwilhelm.htm

-Simon

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
Found a link for a few videos of the Wilhelm brothers on a great traditional archery site I know called TradGang.com

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=33;t=000003

- Simon

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 12:19:00 PM »
Simon.......Thanks...it shows him using the darts in a blow tube.....Bill
This should be over on the other one "Walt & Ken Wilhelm gear"
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
Wade, wase the #6 arrow one of Chet Stevenson's? Grant

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Oops...
I just re-read Wade’s post and realised that the second arrow is Stanley Spencer's. Can’t be by Ken Wilhelm then...

I bet all these guys are having a good time up there following this thread. I wonder if they have high-speed internet.

-Simon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Wade I'am gonna spell the one wrong I'am pretty sure but here goes...Dr.Cashis Stialles would be arrow number 3...Ok my reasoning was he was a big player back then too and hung out with some of the boys.
One arrow may have also been Potter or McQuiry..they was hanging around too.
How about some new rules ? each time I guess correct you apply my prize towards that Bear Giant.You know like at the carny I win 5 times qupie dolls in a row I get the big dog.Like 5 Cases heads = 1 giant..OK I just had to try that..bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©