INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Stanley F. Spencer?  (Read 3324 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stanley F. Spencer?
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2009, 11:16:00 PM »
Wade Didn't Earle Have an archery shop in PA. I was thinkin he owned an archery shop..
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Cody - You guessed two wrong...

However, you got one correct.

You have to tell us your logic for each of your two incorrect guesses...

But do you know which two are wrong and which one is correct ???

Are you are simply guessing off Cliff's list?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Wade I am thinkin I got Earl arrow,
I did use Cliff's list as a guide. I realy did think about the arrows and if I have seen them before.
Roy case i was thinkinn had short feather's on his arrows from the many pics I have seen of His. I can be wrong. Number 6 I was thinkin that it my have been on of his early arrows. I know u will tell which one I got. ( I hope ) what did I win LOL. 25% off the neXt B.H I buy from U.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 12:09:00 AM »
Kurt - BG THOMPSON was one of the all time great old bowmen. One of the few bowmen who killed a bear with a bow during the 1920s. He was the money behind YSA and contributed many written articles.

I would never pass on a signed BG Thompson bow. It is far easier to find the money to buy a rare bow than find another opportunity to buy a bow like that.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 12:18:00 AM »
Here is Roy Case holding an arrow. I have no idea if the arrow is his or not... He is with Clark Gallup, artist and, visibly, broadhead collector.

-Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Simon - Nice photograph of Roy & Clark in Roy's basement. Roy was one of the nicest and most generous old bowmen I ever met. When I visited him 26 years ago, he gave me several of his broadheads and personal arrows.

Can anyone match up where each of the broadheads are in this photograph that match up to the arrows that have been identified?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
Cody – You identified Earl’s arrow correctly as #3. I will send you a Roy Case Broadhead.

Still need to identify 1 and 6…

(1)
(2) Stanley Spencer – Identified when photograph was posted
(3) Earl Ulrich – Identified by Cody with assist from names on Cliff’s List of Lobster Mt. Bowmen
(4) Kore Duryee – Identified by Simon with an assist from Matt & BowDoc
(5) Kore Duryee – Identified by BowDoc
(6)

Tell us your logic if you are guessing and can not positively identify the arrow.

Good Luck…

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »
A little trivia on Earl Ulrich

Bear Archery (1982) Bear "Special Limited Numbered Edition" Take Down. Autographed by Fred Bear (1980)
Includes 22 karat gold plated limb mounts, clear glass and custom display box.The limbs are Yew wood with clear glass. The Yew for these bows was cut and seasoned by   Earl Ulrich, at age 91. Earl selected Yew for bows all his life in the high mountains of Oregon The riser is made of Brazilian Rosewood with decorative fiberglas tips.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Wade
Your email is down and my photo bucket is full,sounds like the pictures will have to wait.The arrows are not going anywhere soon.

I bought 3 bows, 2 Barr's ,one unknown long bow and the footed arrows,+ 6 Kittredge arrows that have been verified and signed by Doug (Thanks Tom Phillips), left a few wood bows behind.
 She was in her 90's,and was a very active archer from the late 1930's on, from what I was told.

If I can find his email(grandson's),I will find out if the bows are still in the shed and will let you know.(I was the only person who responded to the add)

I am not sure it was a BG Thomson, but sounds like something to look into.

Rarities,
Yes, if you know the value of something, it is easier to pull your wallet out, not so easy if it turns out its some guy, named Big Thompson who sold home made bows and weight lifting equip.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, as you can tell I am unaware of a large part of our archery heritage.
                 Kurt

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Gee's Clark was a young buck in that pic huh ? I'am going with Harry Hobson for number 6.Reasoning for my guess...Hobson also had a fly fishing shop in Oregon and arrow number 6 has a bit of a fancy cresting for its time..seems a guy who tied fishing flies may get a little fancy with his aoorws too.bd

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
great thread guys i am learning alot.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
BowDoc – Sorry #6 is not a Harry Hobson arrow.

Yes Clark was young and very SKINNY in that photgraph. I hunted with him back then and know first hand that he was also in great shape. He ran around through the woods, over and under fallen trees with the dexterity of a chipmunk.

Hobson’s handmade arrows were not really fancy or much different for their time. I have several Hobson arrows including some with his die stamped broadheads as shown on page H-28 in “Broadheads 1871-1971 Identification & Rarity Guide, Second Edition”. In a later post it may be a good idea to include some of Hobson’s arrows to see if someone can identify them. Thanks for the idea BowDoc.

Yes Harry owned “Hobson’s Fishing Rod Shop” in Oregon. I picked up this Hobson self nock, yew longbow from a fellow in Oregon. Harry printed his company logo above and below this unique “Fly Fishing Rod Style Wrapped Grip”.

Ever seen a “Painted On” strike plate before?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 10:21:00 AM »
Thats a great bow Wade.If you fish hunt or are into old archery tackle and live out this way sooner or later Hobson's name will surface.Please note the grip on his bow fly wrapping type and you will see where I came up with idea about his arrow and not to mention someone listed his name made my think...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 11:11:00 AM »
BowDoc - The name really makes that little bow. Without the name the bow would just your average tomato stake, with some unusual turquoise thread wrapped grip. Hobson must have had a lot of that turquoise thread.

Some of his arrows have a nice flowery "Hobson" signature. Hobson's signature on this little bow would have made it really nice.

Anyone have a Signed Hobson Bow?

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Would the first arrow be a Fred Bear arrow? I feel kind of stupid suggesting it’s Fred’s but in the following pic, the arrow looks like the first one. Mr. Bear was born in 1902 and I read that he did not start bowhunting until he was 29, that would be in the early 1930s. Could he have been such a quick learner to go hunting with all these future Hall Of Famers at such an early stage of his bowhunting career?  I’m still doing my best to find the missing owners. Not easy.

-Simon

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 03:54:00 PM »
Simon - Sorry #1 is not a Fred Bear.

Actually Fred was not at the 1930 Lobster Mt Jamboree.

I thought there might be more old wooden arrow collectors out there who would know the makers...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Does it look like Hobson might have been doing the grip with silk thread ? One of the few guy's I knew that had a Hobson bow was Hayden.Not sure if he still has it or not...bd

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
In the photo- bottom case top row far left looks like one of the Kore heads. That row also may have a Spencer head or two.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 05:38:00 PM »
Wade would Number one be one of  Howard Hill 's Arrow ?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©