INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Can a 1949 Kodiak be shot?  (Read 550 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Can a 1949 Kodiak be shot?
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:55:00 PM »
This is my birth year and I'd love to hunt with a birthday bow, but have heard that the "aircraft aluminum" lamination in these bows causes them to delaminate. I have watched a few on the bay that seem to be intact after 60 years. Can they be shot?

Like this one   330302451716

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can a 1949 Kodiak be shot?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I am sure they can just like other bows. But Wade I think would be the man to talk to or BowDoc.
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:00 PM »
Shaun,
 I believe the first Kodiak was offered in 1950 so if you are actually looking for a Bear bow from your birth year of 1949 you might have to settle on a Grizzly or Polar.both had aluminum lams and I personally wouldn't recommend shooting them or shoot them at your own risk.Seems they have a tendency to delaminate.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
Rich - Thanks for posting my 1960 KS as your first photograph. You did a great job of refinishing that bow, but sorry but I am not going to send that sweetheart back to you to hunt with this fall. She looks too good on my display rack to let you take her out in the field.

John - Thanks for posting the photograph of AA039. What is the weight on that one? I’m guessing it has a purple heart sight window? Hey I would even bet on that, if anyone is interested in betting…

Shaun – Your Butcher Block Coin Slab 1959 Grizzly is a cool bow. In my entire life, I have only ever said that about one other Grizzly.  

BowDoc – Bear Bow Quivers – Patent No. 2,464,068 was filed Jan 16, 1946 and granted March 8, 1949. Patent No. 3,209,740 was filed Dec 29, 1961 and granted Oct 5, 1965. I also have additional pre-1961 documentation from Fred himself about another quiver I have seen only one example of to date.

BowDoc – Your no slot, no patent #, black bow quiver is the first production Leather Cap. In the No Slot, I have both RH & LH, as well as No Logo and With Logo Only (no pat #s). While far from common, I have seen several other No Slot quivers show up over the years. They nearly always seem to be a nice conversation piece accompanied by much speculation and folklore. You mention 1954-1955-ish for the year. I have 1956 as the earliest documented date, so I will dig a little deeper, and round up all the usual suspects.

Trap – You may have to clarify this a bit, do you want to see bow quivers used that were the models available only in 1959, or all bow quivers that were available in 1959 and before. Either way, I can post photographs of any or all of these Bear Bow quivers if you wish.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 01:09:00 AM »
Wade,
 that 56" 1959 Kodiak,AA039 is 48# and yes it is a purple-heart sight window.You aren't gettin' my money on this one!

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Sorry Guys for posting my previous post which should have been in the Happy Birthday thread...

Shaun - John is correct on the years for the Grizzly and Kodiak.

I would not bother to shoot any of the alum lam Grizzly or Kodiak Bows, mostly because they are not good shooters when compared to 1959 Kodiaks or similar bows.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »
That one I saw and posted above IS a Grizzly. You guys are on the ball.

I know they would be rough shooters. I have a bow a couple years later and its crude compared with the late 50's on. I was thinking of trying it once afield just for sentimental reasons if I could find a relatively cheap fixer upper.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Shaun I have a 1949 Grizzly ser#8956 and 53# I have shot it quite a bit. The aluminum fatigues over time and the limbs will take a set similar to a self bow.
This one has about 1/4" of set now and I don't shoot it anymore.
It has been (was) a good performer that made you feel great to shoot such a thing.
I also have a 1950 Kodiak serial#2398 and 60#
don't think it was shot before I got it-quite a weapon and 60# is a bit much for me.
It was fun to shoot it for that one session.
I have had other alu lam bows too. None of mine have delaminated; but the material only has limited life to it and then it gets 'tired'.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
Well said BJ the one I had we shot several times and when I down strung it it looked like I had not down strung it.She took a set bad.When you flex then back straight thats when they come unglued..bd

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
I qwould not chance shooting an Aluminum laminatd bow.  These are collectors items and it is not worth taking a chance of it delaminatin.

However, you might shoot it a lot and never have a problem.

IFit were mine...I would not.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©