INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Deliverance"  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Deliverance"
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Hello guys is there a reason that they used Bear Bows in the moive Deliverance ?. Also what make and what modle was it. and what arrows did they used any Info would be great.
Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deliverance"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
If I remember right,Burt Reynolds had an "A" handle Victor takedown(green) and John Voight had a Kodiak Hunter.

Offline Liquid Amber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
Because Bear provided the equipment and technical advisor...Hugh Blackburn.  

I was attending the University of Georgia when the movie was being filmed and managed the sporting goods department in the old Gibson Store in Athens.  Hugh was a jobber and Bear Rep. who visited on a regular basis.  I wished I'd have recorded all that he told me during those days, but I didn't and now only remember pieces of our conversations.

The filming crew was housed in Clayton, Ga. and I can remember seeing their trucks and such parked there on the weekends when I drove by going trout fishing in the Warwoman WMA.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Cody- In the mid 80's I lived in Columbia,S.C and James Dickey, the author of Deliverance was a client of mine and I spent some time with him discussing the book and movie There are too many interesting little stories to tell here but as to why Bear equipment was used I can tell you. Dickey was a bowhunter- loved to hunt hogs- and used Bear equipment himself and had met Fred previously.Bear was by far the biggest name in archery at the time and as Cliff said, they could devote more manpower and energy toward providing tech support and the equipment also served as a sort of advertisement. Kind of a "win-win" situation. Dickey told me that Reynolds was hopeless as an archer (didn't like him much) but that Voight was a great guy and a quick study. Jim said he actually had to shoot the fish for Reynolds. That may or may not be true.Owen Jeffery lived in Columbia-still does- and he and I were good friends. He despised Dickey and had nothing good to say about the man, the movie, or Bear's involvement in it.He was Bear's master bowyer and Vice-President at the time. Jim- if you get a chance to review the movie you will notice that Reynold is shooting a very long TD-pretty sure its a "C" riser but Owen said he also made a wood handled "B" riser for him as well. If you want to know more about the making of the film, read Chris Dickey's book, "The Summer of Deliverance"- he was James Dickey's son. Its a pretty dark chronicle.   Grant

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Grant,I stand corrected.Thanks.I was going strictly on memory and thought it was the same length as my A Mag.Lots of interesting information there.Thanks guys.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
They didn't show the takedown very much.  That wqas an A mag huh? I saw the kodiak hunter a little more.

Offline gaitero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »
Hello,
I'm OK with Grant, that was a "C" handle for Mr REYNOLDS (with chromed latches) and a Kodiak Hunter for Mr VOIGHT.
I think, I saw this movie may'be hundred times.
Rich

Offline Chalkdust

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Hi Rich,
Was that a 60" Kodiak Hunter???  Any guess about what year the Kodiak was?
Mark

Offline gaitero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Hi Mark,
I think that was a 1970 or 1971 Green 60" Kodiak Hunter with the Chromed stabilizer.
Rich

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »

I just put my B and C riser in front of me to compare ... what Reynold is shooting here looks pretty much like a Mag B riser to me.

I think in this pic one can almost make out the little bears on the latches and also the silkscreen of the upper limb appears already on the belly side.

Offline Falk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
sic!

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Hello Falk, Thanks for the pics....

Cody

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Hey Falk- I think you're right. It seemed longer in my memory but it has been a long time since I saw the film last. It may have seen longer to me because of Reynold's height or maybe I was just confused,lol. At any rate I should have known- I've been shooting B risers for a long, long time. Thanks for pointing that out.      Grant

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
OK, so who got the shaft the worse...the two hillbillies, or Ned Beatty?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
There is one part of the moive where the arrow gose in John's leg is this ture it's been some time since I last seen the moive....

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 05:33:00 PM »
I believe after John Voight's character shoots the guy on top of the cliff(as pictured) he falls back and impales himself through his side with the arrow left in his kwikee quiver.   The Burt Reynolds character breaks his break prior to this after his canoe capsizes going through the rapids.  Pretty bad break-the bone sticks out through his leg.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 05:44:00 PM »
Hello Jeff I think u got it right Thnaks,

Cody

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 06:03:00 PM »
John needs to get his elbow up a little.  Wonder if he has corrected that?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 06:15:00 PM »
I wounder how many bows they had with them... when makin the moive...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©