INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: The Rarest Bear Kodiak – Production Bow  (Read 3280 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Rarest Bear Kodiak – Production Bow
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
BowDoc - Feel free to make any comments about the 1959 to 1962 "No Coin" Kodiaks shown.  I believe the photograph pretty well illustrates that some "virgin" Kodiaks really exist. It is possible that other Bear bows also exist without coin holes, but I don't think we need to show them on this thread. Perhaps another thread titled... "The Virgin No Coin Bear Bows"... would be more appropriate for a complete discussion of that topic.

DowDoc - Yes, Bear and other bow makers were in business to make money. They would do anything special that was within reason if the customer was willing to pay enough money to make it worthwhile.

Bear's "Lady Kodiak" doesn't merit a complete discussion in a thread about Rare Kodiaks, but would be an example of what you mention. I have a short wooden paddle labeled "Skull Master, by Ben Pearson Pine Bluff Ark., Pat. Pend" that is an example of a non archery item Pearson produced to make money. There are numerous other examples of non archery items that were made by archery manufacturers.

I may just cut that image down of the 67 Catalog color combination so it will not be so easily recognizable as a Special... I don't think we want to get off on specials, deluxe, etc. It would get too confusing to try to keep up, and many are not interested all model bows.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Grant – Yes the “67” is a bit blocky when compared to the 67 1/2 SK. To my untrained eye, its bulk looks more like a 66 Kodiak. The wood grain looks more like future wood, but I have complete faith in BowDoc’s identification of it as tigerwood.

Grant – Not sure which DeLuxe photograph you made reference to, possibly the one with leather grip, which I believe was shown in the thread about Bear strike plates and rests. The factory leather grip clear glass is a Kodiak Special DeLuxe as shown on the left side of the image in 1960 Bear Catalog. The Special DeLuxe has a lot of bulk, in the sight window, but many of them have real eye catching wood combinations.

The other bow you may have been referring to is the bow on the right side of the page. The Catalog image is misleading as it is very different than what collectors have come to call a Kodiak DeLuxe. This image is actually a 1960 Kodiak with Clear Glass.

Of the two “Clear Glass Kodiaks” that I know of one is reported (I have not seen it) to be a 1959 and the other is known to be a 1960. The 1960 is documented in the 1960 Catalog shown below, and is marked with a serial number, length and weight in the normal place. Both the 1959 and 1960 "Clear Glass Kodiaks" deserve mention in any discussion about Rare Kodiaks, although collector’s thoughts about these bows will likely vary.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Alright I was just wondering about the specials...yes I think Ben may have also had something to do with cotton harvesting...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 11:14:00 PM »
BowDoc - Forgot to ask you what the serial number is on the "67". From the small photographs, I can not pick it out.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
That is what I was wondering, if the serial number began with a 7.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Dean – This photograph should help clear up your question. These two comparable weight 1954 Compass Kodiaks were made on two completely different forms and have noticeably different risers. The Maple Riser 54# belly is indented above the shelf, and the Walnut Riser 52# belly is protruding above the shelf. The riser area below the leather grip is also noticeably different with the maple riser being more symmetrical. The limbs are also recurved noticeably different.

Offline tonto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »
thank you Wadde. i didnt know the walnut kII looked so different. Mine is just like the bottom one.
Dean

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
This may not be real rare; but at least it ain't common

The writing is black ink and there is no coin

And thanks to bowdoc's magic cleaner I was able to get rid of all the tape residue that you see in the pic!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
The serial# is BA 260 60" 48#.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2009, 04:25:00 PM »
I'm confused now. The two Kodiaks I got Friday are supposed to be 58's. Both of them are Identical to the 57 that Wade has posted in the first picture of this thread. Did they make a white glass in 58?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
mullet - This old photograph shows the production evolution of the brown glass 1957 Kodiak to the identical bow but white glass... then to a totally and completely different form, the first 1958 which is a sow belly and has the same scalloped sight window as the 1957s (bow has white glass but was painted green), then to the most common 1958 the sow belly with the rounded sight window corner... Will try to take a new photograph and post it...

The two center bows are shown in the 1958 catalog... but the one at far right, sow belly with rounded sight window corner is not shown at all in the 1958 Catalog.

The name White Glass 1957 is an exact description of the bow, it was built on the 1957 Form or Frame. Even though some collectors call it a 1958 because it is one of the two different bows pictured in the 1958 Catalog. I believe some collectors call this bow the tapered 1958 or the Indented Belly 1958. Call it by any name you want, as all of these names would be correct for the second bow from the left. They are all one in the same...

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
Interesting.  I just picked up a 57-58 off the auction site.  Don't have it yet.  The fella described it as a 57-58 and suggested the buyer could call it whatever suited him.  Said it had some characteristics of each.  From the pix, it looks like the bow second from the left.  Not a sow belly and not a rounded sight window.  It appears to have brown or gray glass though.  Difficult to tell from the pix.  May have been painted.  Won't know till I get it.

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2009, 06:16:00 PM »
Thanks Wade, I'm starting to think I may have gotten two different bows. The 55#,64",ser.#EG140 with an A above it, has a flat sight window.
  The 45#, 60", ser.#EL928, is a Sow belly. I was told that when the 55# was bought on $pay, that it was painted and the owner stripped it.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words about my MSW Wade.
If you have no plans for the coin you bought on eBat Trap said he has a Forstner bit I can borrow and perhaps you would be kind enough to send me the coin and I can install it in that bow. I already have a gold marker to spruce up the writing and make it more legible. Whatcha' think?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Bjorn - I think the repro coin in the original coin location would be a wiser choice than a compass in the same location...

I have a near identical twin to your BA260 60" 48#, it is BA365 60" 55#. The only difference besides the weight is that the 55# is still a virgin, no quiver bushing hole. Before spring, I'm going to drill her out, but only for the quiver bushing. I'm not going to put a coin hole or compass hole in her. Of the four MSW 1959s that I have, it is the only one that is refinished and the only one I have left that I will use for hunting.

I have drilled out several 59 and 60 Kodiaks for quiver bushings, and always feel a little squeamish before starting. It is probably not a project for the weak at heart. I've never had any problems. I like sharp bits, pilot holes, well laid plans, plenty of time, and drilling into a knot free area.

Make sure you use one of those extra wide gold markers so your heirs can read the lettering. If you are right handed, you may want to do the lettering with your left hand. That should keep the next owner guessing about who re-lettered the bow.

If you want the repro coin, I will be happy to send it to you..

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
:scared:  

Bjorn, you feeling okay?  You better get some rest.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 01:27:00 AM »
Orion - Yes, the 1957 - 1958 identification can be confusing. Until you see a photograph of the brown and white glass 1957 Kodiaks next to the two variations of the 1958 Sow Belly Kodiaks, it is really hard to know the easily recognizable differences.

mullet - The original 1957 and 1958 Kodiaks had the 1-Piece Strike Plate and Rest shown on the second bow from the left on the photograph of the 2-1957s and 2-1958s. The 1-Piece leather was bent into an "L" and the horizontal part formed the rest. These were the days before the raised rest.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2009, 01:06:00 AM »
BowDoc - Toad and I still have unanswered questions on this thread for you about the "67" serial number...

Did the "67" have a serial number??? If so did it start with the number 7... ???

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2009, 02:13:00 AM »
Wade, I don't think BowDoc owns that bow. I was gonna ask you, on that picture you posted of the 67 kodiak from ther catalog with the half phenolic riser, was that picture from the catalog? I have a copy of the catalog and it shows the same bow as the 1966 kodiak.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Jeff – Your last sentence above… “I have a copy of the catalog and it shows the same bow as the 1966 kodiak.”

I am guessing that you meant “Kodiak Special”, rather then “Kodiak”.

My 1967 Bear Catalog shows the Kodiak on page 12. The 1966 Catalog page for the Kodiak is identical but the page is not numbered.

My 1967 Bear Catalog shows the Kodiak Special on page 5, marked as 6G447, 66”, 35#, and with a Premier Bowsight factory installed.

The Premier Bowsight was removed from the 1967 Catalog image and posted to show the color combination of African Zebrawood and the Black High Compression Material.

I must say, the electronic removal of the Premier Bowsight was pretty clean. Not sure if the physical removal of a Premier Bowsight could be as transparent, but I’m sure BowDoc and Rich have examples of their work that would show the before and after, to be even better.

Originally, I posted the actual 1967 Catalog Image, then BowDoc asked about posting images of Kodiak Specials, and I told him I would go back and alter the image so the bow was not easily recognizable as a Kodiak Special… but failed to state that in the text above the altered image. As I said I was only trying to show the color combination, I was not trying to show the bow.

In this day and age of altered images, one should examine an image very carefully. Sometimes it is not possible to easily see that an image was altered, other times it may be impossible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©