INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Can you do it?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
Can you do it?
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »
Like many of you, I have a soft spot for fine bows and sharp things. My new year resolution is to buy only one bow and knife a year. Honestly, could you do it?

Just as I sent out a MO for a Lee TD LB (on my B-Day last week), a 59 Kodiak present's itself at a price I can finally afford. I have been lusting for a 59 for as long as I can remember. I'm going to bend the rules a bit. The seller is willing to do a straight up swap for the Lee/59. I'm really, really leaning towards the 59. Yea, it's kinda skirtin the rules a bit but it is just one bow.

Oh, and the knife is done also. I just picked up the first knife Ray Hammond ever made. Hey, the way I look at it, a 59 Kodiak and one of Ray's creations at the same time should be a banner year for anyone...

Cheers!
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can you do it?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
Hmmmm, maybe if I was using DOG years (7), but even then I would feel constrained at times!!    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Gerald- Apparently not but I may find it easier when my youngest joins his brothers in College next year,lol.                        Grant

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
One bow a year?

Are you a communiist, or a heritic?

How absurd...one bow a year...rediculous.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
Yea. I'm going to give it a whirl. You noticed I did specify "buy" in my self induced rule. As ole George Carlin would say....I do have a lot of other "stuff" to barter with.

I can see this brainstorm of a idea is heading south already and it hasn't even been a solid week yet...

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
Yer SIC
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
The guy that dies with the most bows wins!

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
The guy that dies and puts me in his will wins!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
The guy that dies with the most, still dies   :(  

But....

He has a cool estate sale  ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 07:17:00 AM »
Bow prices at Kalamazoo... Lonnie 1959 Kodiak 32# = $800, him and one other fellow with 1959ish Alaskans = $250 negotiable. Not much chance of falling off the wagon at those prices.

But remember New Years resolutions like yours were meant to be broken. One bow a month would be more reasonable but still silly. You could even sell a bow now and then, but who am I kidding.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
OK I just bought 5 bows on friday 2 bows back in dec.so what I'am asking is does the 2 from dec count againest the total for 2009 or am I good for the next 5 months.
Oh crap I just reread your post you said one a year.Shoot I thought you said one a month...you mean I'am good for 7 years ? Yeah right I can see that happening...not bd

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
I had a feeling this was going to be a rough crowd to pose this kind of question to.

With that being said, my current bow's consist of 3 customs (Zipper TD with LB and recurve limbs, one sweet Blacktail Snakebit TD and a butt ugly Big East TD that shoots like there is no tomorrow) and 3 production bows (64 and 65 Kodiaks and a soon to be added, a long overdue 59 Kodiak).

The limited time I have to shoot, long work week, family obligations, dedication to keeping my pool game intact- I don't have enough time to give them all a decent workout. So, I feel I am blessed with the collection that I currently have and they are all great shooters. Besides, I have yet another classic I need to spend some time and cash on;

Hence, the self imposed rule. The 59 I am getting has a fair amount of stress and I'm considering skinning the limbs. I'm also leaning towards a black leather wrap on her also. I'm not concerned about detracting from the collector value by doing the mod's on her because she will be a user and I don't see her going anywhere.

So, what skins would you pick to go on a 59 with a black wrap? Just looking for some ideas.

Oh yea, is there a way for me to delete just the classified forum off my browser? Hard not to look at what's out there but it sure doesn't help with my withdraw symptoms. :banghead:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 03:44:00 PM »
Timber Rattlesnake (Canebrake) would look awesome on a 59K.

Nice Ride  :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Trouser snake would look good on that bow!
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
JL
I got a call from a friend a couple years ago he said "we found a pool table in a shed, want it?"
Turns out to be a anniversary model Brunswick full size slate table,Its at another buddy who plays more pool than I do,
Wow they built beautiful tables, kinda the Fred Bear of pool tables
              Kurt
Just a bit outside????
I'll pass on the Johnson overlay, but to each his own.

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Got the '59 in this morning and played with her for a few min's and she is a keeper! Now I know why these bows are so collectable. Very smooth on the draw and very good cast. I'm still fine tuning her but first impressions tells me we are going to get along just fine...

Greg- You got issues hoss...

JL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©