INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: First Special B&A Only Deer Season – Who was 1st to Fill a License  (Read 877 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
When & where was the first deer taken in the US on a license issued for a “Special Bow and Arrow Only Deer Season”? (Not deer taken by a bowmen during regular firearm seasons or by special written permits.)

Wisconsin 1936 – Chet Sroka, Portage, WI took the only deer during this “Special B&A Only Season”, as reported in March 1937 American Bowman Review, page 1.

Is this Wisconsin bowman the first in the US to take a deer on a license issued for a “Special B&A Only Season”?

Was there a State issuing licenses for a "Special B&A Only Deer Season" before Wisconsin?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Special B&A Only Deer Season – Who was 1st to Fill a License
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Was Ed Pitchkites (sp?) one of them??
         Kurt

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
The first Archery only season was in Wisconsin in 1934. It was a 5 day season limited to Columbia and Sauk counties. 40 hunters participated with the only bow harvest being made by Mr. William Ostlund of Chicago, Ill. This season was made possible by the efforts of  the Wisconsin Archery Assoc, Roy Case, Larry Wiffen and Aldo Leopold all influential archers at the time.
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Kurt - In what year and where did the fellow you mentioned, Ed Pitchkites (sp)" take a pre-1936 deer?

Chuck - Thanks so much for your post about Mr. William Ostlund of Chicago, IL as being the only 1934 bowmen to fill an Archery Only Season permit. In what document of the era can this original information be found?

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:58:00 PM »
C'mon  c'mon  c'mon

Tell us tell us

What did Alaska win?   huh huh huh
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 02:23:00 AM »
Chuck - I was really looking for the name and page of the original publication from the era that you cited for the information. Even though the 1996 article on the web is not a document from the 1934 era, and fails to site the original source of information, I will send you the 8x10 photograph of Fred Bear that you requested.

If anyone has a more accurate answer than Chuck, I will also be happy to send them am 8x10 Fred Bear photograph.

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
Hi Wade- you may recall that you and I talked about this hunt not too long ago so I knew it was 1934 Wisc. I just posted the link where I found the rest of the details so others could get the full story  as I found it. I wasn't posting an answer to win anything. I appreciate all the generosity everyone has shown on this site, a real class act here not often found on the net. Maybe I'll come up with something to give away as well....

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
This is great traditional history! Thanks for posting and sharing!
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
sticknstring+  – Be cautious about what you accept as your “great traditional history”.

It is sometimes difficult to distinguish “history” and “historical facts” from “fiction” and “erroneous statements”.

Note in the article on the web that Chuck referenced, from the October 1996 issue of “Wisconsin Natural Resources Magazine” by Kevin Wallenfang…

The second paragraph, second sentence the 1996 article states, “…But on that cold November day in 1931, the first deer legally harvested by an archer…”

Actually the month and year was “December 1930”, not “November 1931” as the 1996 article on the web sates.

Not sure if Wallenfang just didn’t let the facts get in the way of telling a good story, or if the date was transcribed incorrectly, or edited when the information was published on the web.

In Roy Case’s article in the April 1931 “Ye Sylvan Archer”, page 3, the first paragraph begins “The Wisconsin deer season includes the first ten days of December…” and pictures Roy with his December 1930 buck…

Roy’s deer was taken during the normal firearm season. Wisconsin’s first special “Bow and Arrow Only” Season was not established until years later...

The best place to get the facts is from the original documents from the era. Even those documents sometimes have errors or unexplainable statements.  

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Wade Thanks for the reminder to keep my eyes open and a bit skeptical while learning things, especially when the info is historical. Your knowledge and resources are amazing.

I have a huge appreciation for all of the keepers and collectors of the history who share here.  Thanks to all of you guys!
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©