INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: SWEET DIABLO  (Read 1091 times)

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
SWEET DIABLO
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
Thought maybe some of you Howatt fans would like to see my new addition to the Diablo family. '63 Diablo 58" 42#. I know alot of you guys are bear collectors,but you gotta admit those old Howatts are pretty sweet.Let's see some pics of your Howatts.  [/IMG]

Offline Tom Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
    • BISON GEAR PACKS
Re: SWEET DIABLO
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Oh yea,
 DIABLO'one of the coolest production bows  most of them Howatts will outshoot them Bears !! I have tried most of the Bears & Howatts.
 Glad them Bear hounds do not know that more for us Howatt fans !!!
I love my 55# LH 54" Diablo'
BISON GEAR PACKS
https://www.facebook.com/search/top?q=bison%20gear%20packs

TGMM Family of the Bow * PBS * P&Y
 * Massachusetts Bowhunters * NRA
 * Compton Traditional Bowhunters *
 * N.A.H.C. * N.Y.Bowhunters *
  * N.J.Bowhunters *

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
rich, I am glad i had just swallowed my beer, or i would have spit all over my keyboard.  :biglaugh:

Offline bmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 09:47:00 PM »
love those howatts!! very nice bows.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
Good looking bows there guy's.One of the better shootering bows on the market...bd

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
I have heard that Jerry Pierce patterned his bows off the Diablo. The story I heard was that he got tired of buying new ones after he broke a couple with his extra long draw.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Shaun I don't know about Jerry breaking any Damon Howatt's but I do know his bows was built off a 58'DH form..Jerry's are some beautiful workmanship thats for sure..bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 02:10:00 PM »
Dave & Rich – Your ’63 and ’64 Diablos are stunning.  

From the collector/historical perspective, you serious Howatt collectors should enlighten us about the rich history of the Diablo. I have a couple of Howatt’s 1940s sinew backed yew bows but never collected his glass bows, although I have owned a few 1960s that were nice shooters.

I believe in the “1959-1960 Archer’s Bible”, Kittredge introduced the Diablo as “A new sensationally performing hunting bow designed for the most exacting bowhunter…”

Tell us about the first years of the Diablo.

Can you Diablo collectors post photographs of a 1959-1960 Diablo so us “Bear Hounds” (as Tom calls us) know how it compares to the 1959-1960 Kodiaks… The only 1959-1960 Diablo images I have are black and white catalog images, which I would be ashamed to post on this thread with your studio quality photographs. I see the prices of the Diablo and Kodiak were the same, $59.50 in the 1959-1960 Catalog.

Do you Diablo collectors camo up those works of art and take them hunting? If so, it would be cool to see some photographs of them in disguise as a working bow on a hunt.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 08:54:00 PM »
Not quite that old but this was my main bow in the late 60s and early 70s.  It was a rosewood beauty, 50# SD and had lots of Karma.  

I took a shot at a 12 point whitetail after watching him bed down for an hour, get up and cross 30 yards from me.  The arrow hit the shoulder bone and bounced out but he was the biggest buck I ever shot at.

This pic was from 1972.  I don't have the bow anymore, I traded it at a New Years Eve party for a Colt SA revolver and holster. Dig the "matching" arrows.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Pics of what I have been told is a 1959 Diablo.
This is bit on the rough side. It has an insert for the single mount Bear quiver on opposite side. There is also a screw hole on the back side of shelf for a "Nelson Arrow Holder"
To me it appears that this has cream/white glass and then brown paper or paint over it. They then sanded the edges to allow the glass to show. Pretty cool finish. Although it will make it hard to strip and refinish. It also has a splinter of glass on the edge on the lower limb. I worked Versa-Mend epoxy into the splinter and then clamped it. I have shot this bow once. I do intend to refinish it. In the window it is stamped "50" and lettered"DE35929L". It's doesn't have a length marked on it, but it measures 58" nock to nock.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Ron, Thanks so much for posting the photographs of the Howatt you have been told is a 1959 Diablo. With all that grain in the wood, I'm sure it will be stunning after you refinish it.

Can you post photographs of it from fade out to fade out in the profile view, and a full length profile. I'm sure other "Bear Hounds" would like to be able see the profile differences between the 1959-1960 Diablo and the 1959-1960 Kodiaks…

Rich - Many collectors get burned out when it becomes increasingly difficult to add additional items of interest to a collection. The cool thing about collecting old traditional archery memorabilia is there are dozens of different types of items to seriously collect, bows, arrows, quivers, broadheads, fish points, fletching tools, books, magazines, catalogs, photographs, letters, etc. Let me know when you are ready to dispose of those boring old Bear Kodiaks that you still have lying around.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 03:38:00 PM »
Here's the Diablo along with a 1962 Kodiak. I'm not sure if there is a difference in riser length between a '59 and a '62?
The Diablo is 58" and the Kodiak is 60".
Also showing the splinter in the lower limb. Someday I need to learn how to use the Macro on this camera!

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
Ron - Thanks for posting the additional photographs of the supposed 1959 Diablo. I did not intend to ask you to show a Bear bow too, figured us "Bear Hounds" could do a metal comparison. Hopefully you don't get into trouble for showing a Kodiak.

Not knowing much about Howatt bows, I would have to say the Diablo made a lot of progress from this bow to the '63 and '64 that were posted earlier.

However, from simplicity and elegance of the Classic 1959-60 Kodiak, to the 1963-64 Kodiaks, Bear's "progress" would be considered debatable by some of today's Bear Kodiak collectors, myself included.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Rich - I'm just in the process of making a new will. Trying to get all of this stuff to its next home were it will be properly cared for and appreciated is quite a task. I don't have anyone down yet for my 1940s Howatt bows. Let me know if you might want them. I don't plan on hitting the wall anytime soon.

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
rich wade if u are having trouble finding some one to leave stuff to remeber me. we are all brothers right  :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
I forgot this photo before. I did take it out and shoot this afternoon since it was strung up and didn't blow due to the splinter. Shoots real nice! I like the grip!

Offline DAVE1275

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Here's my 63' with 2 of it's younger brothers.The top zebrawood 60# Super D is my hunting rig.It's the fastest smoothest quietest shooting recurve I own,even over the widow.The middle one is a 52# 1974 Super D,with some pretty cool woods in the riser.

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Dave,

What year is your Zebrawood Super D on top? I have one a lot like it, its been my go to hunting bow for basicly my whole hunting career. Got it at a trad shoot when I was probably 16 or so, had it I guess at least that many years now, all my big game animals have been shot with it. I own and have hunted with several other bows but its got the most "mojo" I guess.

Dating it isn't going to change it, just curious how old my bow is.
Thanks,

Jared
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Here she is over a Wisconny whitetail.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©