INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Here I go!  (Read 378 times)

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
Here I go!
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
I have a great bow and know that I; can only shoot one bow at a time, would only take one bow hunting, am like most others concerned that my job may go by the wayside just as the retirement funds have, am married to my best friend and the love of my life, and have even been led to believe that on occasions may have rational and logical thoughts. So why do I so want to have an older Bear bow? This can only lead to conflicts and it makes no sense for me get involved with this; it really would be more logical to save my money and get a pair of hand made Russell stalking boot that would be so wonderfully comfortable to wear! So, since there really does not seem be any choice other than to move forward and find a Bear, where does one start?  I do not know more than just the base facts about Bear bows and the only basis that I can use as a starting point is; shoot right-handed, comfortably pull 50# to 55# at 28”, will shoot bow most every day, will hunt with it, need to stay under say $350, and currently live in a very un-archery area (Southern Nevada) and it will be a little while before we can get back to the NW. So I would really appreciate your input and help in starting down this slippery path of collecting and using Bear bows, in advance, thanks for your help.
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Here I go!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
You should be able to find many very good bows in that price range.  50s Kodiaks, 62" Grizzlies, Super Kodiaks from the late 60s and early 70s, any of the Kodiak Magnums, most Kodiak Specials.

Try to shoot as many as you can and use the search feature here on this forum to browse the choices and of course keep your eye on the auction site to see what is available and what they are bringing.  Do some research before jumping in and ask questions you have here.  You'll get great advice from folks that have been standing in the same place you are right now.

Good Luck, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
Trap,
What auction site? Thanks for your help.
Jamie
Regard’s,
Jim

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
Kodiak Hunters also comes to mind. Polars, Cubs, Alaskan, all well in that price range on *bay.

I started accumulating/collecting Bear bows when I realized I could always resell them for the same price I bought them. My only problem is that I find it difficult to let them go. For example, I have a beautiful 1958 Kodiak that I don’t even use cause it’s left handed (I shoot right handed) and I am having a hard time just getting rid of it...

If the goings get tough, I’ll just keep the ones I like the most and I’ll get my money back.

-Simon

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©