INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Looking through the bow rack - mental ramblings  (Read 781 times)

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking through the bow rack - mental ramblings
« on: February 05, 2009, 08:53:00 AM »
I was looking through what's left of my 1950's Bear bows the other night, trying to see what's not there (and should be  :) ) and what maybe can leave the rack without causing too many regrets.  I thought I'd post some mental ramblings.  Let's start at the low end.

No Cubs are left.  The '55 was the last to go.  Fun bow, but its 62" length didn't handle my long draw too well.

I sold off my last Alaskan b/c it was over the weight I wanted.  The '58 Alaskan was a nice longbow (ok semi recurve), but if I didn't stick to the weight and length range I like (62+" 50-55#) I'd end up like some of you and need to build an addition to house all the bows.  :D

There's the '55 Polar in excellent shape, the '56 in impeccable shape, the beat up 57 in desperate need of a refinish and the near perfect '59.  Notably absent is a '58.  I need to take a picture of this group, but they blend into the Fall woods almost as nicely as the '59 Grizzly

The only Grizzly I have left is the '59, though everything from '55 on has been on the rack.  The '58 Grizzly is the only one of the bunch I miss, but that's a friend’s go-to bow now and is better off with him.

On to the Kodiaks (all 64"ers).  The '55 is the one bow I have that, at 46#, is out of my preferred range.  The '56 needs a refinish and although it is in my range (50#) it’s not as much fun to shoot as the '55.  Not sure about that one as there is not much difference between them.  The '57, aside from the leather grip, is in excellent shape and is an excellent shooter.  Then there’s the near flawless '59.  Hmmm… it seems I sold my '58.

The '56 KSpecial is a sweetheart to shoot.  It handles my long draw better than the '57 (its longer working limbs help keep the string angle at the tips lower at full draw) but the '57 belongs in my hands.  The '59 was recently refinished by Rich and is ready to hit the woods.

There's not a '58 to be found in the whole bunch!  Gonna have to remedy that.  
The '59s:

12 old Bears?  Is that really all I have left?  Not much of a collection compared to most of you, but it's been fun trying 'em all and finding the ones I like to shoot.

Anyone have a '58 Polar in good shape?  That's one set I'd like to have complete (it's also happens to be the one I can afford  :) )  I'll give you a good deal on a trade with a '56 Kodiak   ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking through the bow rack - mental ramblings
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Nice thread! I like the photo of the two KSpecials that shows the difference in riser length - and therefore working limb length. I have an old Polar but I think its earlier, will go look.

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Mental ramblings.....
Everytime I ramble my wife calls me mental !
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
Nice thoughts Jeremy. That 'distressed goat' wrap on the '57 KS looks   :cool:  on a hunting bow.   :bigsmyl:

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Jeremy. Once again I'd like to thank you for the '58... It really is just TOO darn SWEET!!  :)   I have a '58 Polar, but not in your weight range.( I believe it's 43lbs.) Let me know if you want it...  :bigsmyl:
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I enjoyed the pics and ramblings...  :wavey:
Lon Scott

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Jeremy-Very interesting ramblings.I can picture you standing in front of your bows,reflecting,talking to yourself.Sort of thinking out loud.I think we all do that from time to time,at least I know I do.
 If you have a '56 Kodiak or Kodiak special for sale I would be interested.No '58 Polars here but i'll keep an eye open for one.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Shaun, both those KSpecials are 64" and the difference between them at close to a 30" draw is very noticable.  I love 'em both.  The '57 was in the woods with me for some of the '07 season.  If your Polar is a real early one we can talk  :)   I don't have any of the longbows, just the semi 'curves

Bjorn, I keep thinking I'll replace that goat with some calfskin and make it look original, but can't bring myself to do it.  You did a ncie job on the refinish.

Frank, enjoy that '58 Grizzly brother!

John, I had 'em all out and strung.  I didn't get the chance to shoot them (it was late and I was on "baby duty" so couldn't leave the house).  The '56 KSpecial would be hard to pry from my hands, but the Kodiak may not be around long after the refinish.  

I pulled the grip off the '56 Kodiak to start the process.  Beneath the leather the bow is marked "repair" with what I'm assuming is a job # in addition to the regular stuff you find written beneath the leather.  The grip has also been modified, and based on the finish, it was done by Bear.  The glass on the back has been sanded though where your index finger and thumb wrap around.  It almost seems like it's owner thought the grip was too deep and sent it back to have them narrow it a bit.  I can't see any other signs of a repair or alteration.

I honestly don't see how some of you can deal with your collections!  300 bows!!  That'd take me days to go through.  This whole review started when I took the '55 Kodiak out to look at.  That prompted me to look at a few more until all of a sudden there they all were, everything off the rack and out of their bow socks.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:13:00 PM »
..."The '58 Grizzly is the only one of the bunch I miss, but that's a friend’s go-to bow now and is better off with him."

I picked up a real nice '58 Griz in 46# a few months ago, and it's out of place on my rack. PM if interested.
Lon Scott

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:33:00 PM »
Johnnyboy you need a 1956 K & KS for your collection ? wow I thought you had every year Bear bow already ? bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 01:06:00 PM »
Doc-No the '56 isn't for me.A friend was born that year and wants to get a Bear bow from the same year he was born so I'm hoping someone has a Kodiak and/or a Kodiak Special,45-50#.
 I did have every year Kodiak but sold most of the collection to a sporting goods store in northern Michigan.I never did collect the KS's.
 Hey,I still need you to do my MSW '59 Kodiak.Call me.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Jeremy

Nice rambings, nice bows.  

The two oldest bows I have are a '57 and a '59 Kodiak Special.

In an effort to keep Rich and Bowdock in a lower tax bracket, I have never had a bow refinished.  I like the character that bumps and bruises add to a bow.  Ya gotta sit and wonder about the hunts these bows have seen.  I may not have had an steller hunting adventures, but I can fatisize and imagine the treks that these old timers have made.

Gotta luv 'em.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©