INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Polar  (Read 692 times)

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Polar
« on: February 13, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
This Polar has been hanging by the string for over 30 years. Bought it for my x from Grand Ledge Archery, Mich. in 1970 or 71. I remember I had a choice of 66" or 63" and this is a 63". It took about 3 weeks to get it cause they didn't have one in stock. Gold coin, grey glass on the back cream or white glass on the belly. Canada 1953. Looks like tiger wood? 27 1/2" from fade out to fade out. Awful short limbs on it. Right hand.

Bottom of the riser says KK755  AMO-63  40#
It has factory screws on the back of the site window for mounting a sight.

I know it's not a Kodiak, but I'm kinda curious as to it's value. My camera is shot or I would post a pic. Thank you -LP

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Polar
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Completed auction's site pricing is 50-180 dollars a fair size spread. You did not say what  shape its in but if good\\excellent probably around 80. JMO and a little research, Ok I lied about my reserch, my watch file is so big. It became it's own entity.   :goldtooth:  

Hope that helps

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks hormoan, I'll wait for summer and take it out to the range, leave it there for someone who wants to take it home. -LP

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
If you are going to give it away, there are a lot of kids needy. Post a give away on POW WOW, things are tough for a lot of folks. Put a couple stipulations on it, for it to be passed on. When or if its not used.

Please look for a needy kid\\person.

JMO and a great thing.JMO

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Condition is important, but the year is important too.

IMO, the Grizzlys of he '60's will bring more than the ones from the '70's.  If it is a flat coind '70's it should bring more than a raised coin

I will be surprised if the screws on the bak of the sight window are factory. Never knew Bear to do that.  More probably the owner installed brass inserts to accept the screws.  There were so many differnet sights available at that time, and the hole spacings would have to be perfect, and they were all different.

I am by no means a Grizzly expert, but those are my thoughts.

In any case, there is no "book value" on old bows.  Theya re worth what someone will pay...no more, no less.  The only way to really know what it is worth is to put it up onn e8ay and see where the bidders place the value.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline LP Kelley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
hormoan, this is a depressed area up here. Our economy has been going down the tube the last few years. I'll make sure it goes to the right person.

Papalapin, it's a Bear Polar recurve. Flat gold coin. I'm the first owner. The screws on the back of the sight window are factory. I just thought that being a 63" maybe it might make it a little scarcer. It's in excellent condition, not a scratch on it.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Just a idea, suggestion.

And you will never know for sure, until a finish of a auction. It may very well surprise you and me to its value. Especially with good pictures and listing. Jeremy on hear is a collector of them, you may try him. It may be just what he is looking for. And needs for the collection  :thumbsup:

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
1970 is the last year Bear made the 63" Polar.  In good shape I've seen them go in the $120-150, though I seem to remember some outrageous auctions last year.
At that weight it'd make a nice first hunting bow for a youth or lady.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©