INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: How rare are the Super Grizzly's?  (Read 919 times)

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
How rare are the Super Grizzly's?
« on: February 16, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Guys...I scored on what I think might be a decent deal on 8bay...a left handed Super griz in my weight range...pics below. It was $139.00 plus $20.00 bucks shipping....So how did I do?
How rare are these birds???

Tom I.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How rare are the Super Grizzly's?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Honestly, the most important barometer for how you did is how do "you" think you did.

Please dont take that the wrong way. I'm truly not trying to be mean, just stating an important aspect of collecting.  

You can check "ended" auctions to see how other similar bows have sold to know if you were in the ballpark of others.  

It's in your weight range, you liked it enough to bid on it and from your initial statement you "scored on what you think is a decent deal".

That's really all that is important.  I'm happy for you. Sounds like you did great.  Let us know how it shoots.  It's a handsome bow. Not sure how rare it is but someone may chime in.

Good Find, Thanks for sharing it with us.   :thumbsup:    

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Trap..of course your right...and I do think it's a pretty decent deal.  But, as yous suggest I'll check some of the completed sales to see how I did.  I know I didn't steal it....I just hope I didn't get took...LOL.  
Tom I.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
Well, I just did a search in completed sales on 8bay and there were only 3 listings.  The one I bought was listed twice because it had been previously listed with a higher "buy it now" price of $158.00...and I can't believe it didn't sell at that price.  The other was a very nice bow that went for $255.00 and the third was one that was in pretty well used up shape that went for $78.00. Plus it was only 40lbs. and right handed.  So....the average for the two that sold is $166.00.  Going by that I got a decent deal.
Tom I.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
good looking bow. what year is it?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
Naww I don't think you got hurt at all.  

That bow will shoot with any modern day recurve you can buy for that price.  

The cool thing is, if you decide to sell it after a couple years you'll likely get all of your investment back and maybe more.  

Try to sell that modern day $140.00 recurve in a couple years and see what it brings. OUCH

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
Nice bow Tom, looks to me like a deal.   :thumbsup:  Let us know how it shoots  :archer:

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Just remember when buying bows, guns, etc.  You NEVER paid too much, you only bought too early.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline gaitero

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
This is a really good bow, I own exactly the same and you got it with less money. I remember I paid $180.00.
The rally rare "Super Grizzly" and I'm looking for is the "Blue" one. I saw it just one time on **** and in RH, and the auction closed with more than $200.00.
Rich

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Was the blue one, one of the 76 models that they did in kind of the Red,White,and blue theme? I have wondered how many types\\models they did in those colors??

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
Did a little research with my Bear Catalog CD.
The Super Griz's were offered from '73 thru and including '76. The first 2 yrs they were offered in 3 riser colors randomly; Big Sky Blue, Midnight Black and Forest Green.  Glass Colors were Black, Green, and White.  I assume the White went on the Blue riser, Black on the Black and Green on the Green.  The '75 and '76 catalogs only offered one color of riser and glass and it looks to be black.  All years had a red accent stripe in the riser and red tip overlays.  All look to have a red Bearhair rug and a White strike plate.  It'll be interesting to see what mine actually is when it arrives.  The pics make the riser look a little greenish, but I know it has Black Glass.  All of the Super Griz riser were futurewood as were the tip overlays.
Tom I.

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »
In 1973, the first recurve I bought was a black Super Grizzly. After 36 years, it has no stress on the limbs and still hangs in there with the rest of the Bears.

I remember picking the black one because the others looked a little too colorful. This is still my sentimental favorite, and it is nice to watch my son shoot it.

Black Futurewood with a red regimental stripe is not rosewood, but that bulletproof epoxy soaked maple will outlast the formica black beauties that Fred experimented with right before Futurewood. I think Fred was impressed with the Petrified Forest, because Futurewood is close to a man-made fossil.

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »
good looking bow.   :thumbsup:

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Nice Bow! I think you did alright.
                               KY

Offline knuklhed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Congrats on your find! btw, does anyone happen to know if a few slipped out in '72? I bought one recently , and as I was attempting to age it, I read that they stopped putting "1953" on the glass in 72. (which it has) Or maybe they just had a few pieces that ran over slightly into the next year's production. knuklhed

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:41:00 PM »
The bow arrived today....it's now strung and resting across a chair.  It's beautiful but I suspect it may have been refinished.  If you hold just right in the light you can see what looks to be chatter marks under the finish. Like  perhaps some sanded it with a Dremel Tool or some such. One thing that surprised me is that it has a copper coin applied to the surface of the riser.  I didn't think that bows made as late as this may have been had copper coins....
As soon as we get a streak of warmer weather I'll
give it some exercise....
Tom I.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©