INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Martin Hatfield TD  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Dave K

• Trad Bowhunter
Martin Hatfield TD
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:23:00 AM »
Will the limbs of all years of Hatfields fit all years? I thought I heard there is an early model and a later model limb.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Martin Hatfield TD
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »
The new models have pins to aline the limbs and the older models used ball bareing rather then the pins...bd

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
There are actually FOUR versions of the Hatfield limbs, only two of which are interchangeable.  From 1989 to 1992, they used ball bearings and were made from maple with black glass.  From 1993 to 1996, the limbs had bushings to accept the two mounting pins in the riser(limbs still maple/black glass).  In 1997, red elm limbs with clear glass were introduced. The maple/black glass and the red elm/clear glass limbs WITHOUT OVERLAYS AROUND THE LIMB MOUNTING BOLTS were interchangeable. In 2006, the limb mounting pads were elongated and an overlay was added to the limb backs around the mounting bolts.  While the pins are the same configuration, the newer limbs are longer front to back and will overhand the edge of an older riser by about 3/8".

So in summary:

Ball bearing limbs - Fit only 1989 to 1992 risers

Locator pin limbs W/O overlay - 1993 to 2005 risers

Locator pin limbs with overlay - 2005 to present
Resident Howattologist

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Dave here's a pic of the bareing model riser however this one is a Glenn StCharles signuture series solid maple riser rather then laminated.Same thing as a Hatfield or Martin.The StCharles came in a recurve or compound.Which again was the same as a Martin Warthog compound riser.
Dave If you would happen to come across an extra set of bareing mount limbs(early model)in 50-55# I would be interested in them..bd          

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »
Bowdoc,

Hatfield limbs won'f fit that riser.  You'll need MTD limbs for that one.
Resident Howattologist

Offline Dave K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
Well dang. I recently picked up a really nice early laminated Warthog bow with ball bearings, with the idea of getting limbs for it. I remember well, but can't remember the model name, when the Cougar 11 compound riser was also used for a TD. Thanks for the responses!

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 06:24:00 PM »
I have a Martin takedown that used the Cougar II riser. 37 pound limbs. I need however the thumb screw limb bolts for it. Got any laying around Doc?

Offline Dave K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
Howattman, describe to me the difference to Hatfield limbs and MTD limbs. Aren't MTD limbs Martin Take Down limbs? I was thinking that the Hatfield was made in the late 70's and up. Just because I was hunting with a Cougar 11 and Warthog that I bought new in '79 and the Warthog in '85. I could look, but I think the literature I have stored described them. Someone knew of my old archery fetish and dropped of a stack of Bowhunter mags from the begining until about '83. It is an awakening to see the things I forgot and now remember by the ads.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Wadde you can use the alan head screw on there also.They do not have to be the big knob.Is your riser solid maple of is it laminated ??? My buckskin sig has alans.I need a set of limbs for that bow then I want to arrow a black bear with the StCharles bow and one of Glenn's broadheads.HWM I believe your correct about those limbs.There was a little difference..bd

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »
Dave,

Here's a picture to illustrate the difference.

The top bow is an MTD (with Warthog A+ riser), while the third from the top is a Hatfield.  As you can see, the MTD has MUCH more substantial limb bases and the angles are different.
Resident Howattologist

Offline Dave K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Ok, and the MTD has the ball bearing sockets as well, right? I am also familiar with the earlier style of laminated riser. To me, this looks like one of the last style of risers for the Warthog. Am I correct or way off of base? I guess I am only familiar with the early ball bearing style.

Offline Howattman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
Dave,

Yes, the MTD used ball bearing limb pivots.  The MTD in the picture is based on the Warthog "A+" riser.  The MTD with the A+ riser was a special order option that not many Martin dealers were aware of.  The Warthog A+ was only offered in 1988 and 1989.  

"Standard" MTDs were made with Warthog "A" risers (bubinga and thin maple accents) until 1984, and a dark-stained laminated maple riser with a broad bubinga accent stripe was used until 1988 when it was replaced with a multi-color laminated maple riser.  The multi-color birch riser was available until 1989 when the MTD was replaced by the Hatfield.

Hope that's not too confusing.....
Resident Howattologist

Offline Dave K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
I hope you are not bored with me yet. Does one limb mounting style seem better than the other? Or are they simply just different. I always admired the MTD. As a matter of fact, the UPS truck dropped off my Warthog "A" magnum this morning, with the early style riser I always liked. I know, nut a traditional bow, but I am not done collecting bows yet. You did say that the ball bearing limbs were used from 1989-1992. But these would have been Harfields and not MTD's, is that correct? The MTD's as I recall were also made back in the '70's weren't they? Then in about 1989, the name MTD was dropped and they became Hatfields. Is that correct? The laminations of the earlier Warthog "A's" and the Damon Howatt Hunter, I had from around 1979. As I recall, it appears to have been similiar in pattern of laminations and type of finish.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
Yes the bow at the top of your pic is the type limbs that were on my StCharles Buckskin T/D = MTD limbs..bd

Offline Guaraci2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Howattman, on your post of 22-02-2009, the one with risers pics, you say that the first one, top to bottom, is a Warthog. I have one Hatfield similar to that riser, but the limb fit is diferent. Can you tel me what year is this, as well as if it is a Hatfield or a Warthog?

I need to know that because I´m on the market to buy some new limbs.

Here are some pics of my bow:

Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©