INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear 1940s Bush Bow  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear 1940s Bush Bow
« on: February 21, 2009, 09:21:00 AM »
A nice late 1940's lemonwood Bear Archery Bush Bow 290296710577 just sold for $935, 290296710577.

That is roughly the equivalent 1-1/2 or 2 of the 1959 Kodiaks that have sold recently.  

Glad to see that a least a few bidders/collectors of Bear Archery tackle have some real interest in the Bear's original laminated wood and glass bows.

Sometimes collectors are not even aware of the many great bows of their era that Bear made before his 1949 Grizzly...

Does anyone categorize this bow or its no-decal predecessor by date?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear 1940s Bush Bow
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
That was a nice looking bow and I put my max on it-not enough. Congrats to the winner!

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Yeah I was watching that one, looked like a nice one. Was surprised it went that high!?
                           ...KY

Offline flitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 02:02:00 PM »
Everybody was watching that one.Was a dandy
TO THE HUNT

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Looked like a nice bow.....
I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
It seems I'm always #2 lately...I gave it my best shot  :banghead:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 02:51:00 PM »
Thats a cool bow.I don't know why but for some odd reason I thought there was one just like it listed in the last 12 months and it went for 380 and some change ??? bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
BowDoc - That 380 price that you mentioned may be the one I picked up several months ago. As I remember, not the best images in the auction, as it appeared to be "a little dirty". It looked a little rough as part of the surface had a lightly camoed look (non-factory). The images in the recent auction look like a much nicer bow.

BowDoc - Being the business you are in, you know better than anyone, how important CONDITION, CONDITION, and CONDITION are to us CRAZY collectors...

Seems that every year there are a couple of the pre-Grizzly Decal Bows that surface at auction.

Maybe the hard economic times and seeing one go for this much may bring more out the closets.

Bill - Don't feel bad about being #2, a couple of years ago I was #2 on a Decal Hunter in better condition than the one in my collection. Before the auction, I had always been more than happy with the one I had as it was the only "Hunter" decal that I knew to exist. But when a better one appeared on auction, I just had to bid... Of course, I was bidding against all the other bidders who who did not have one, and/or had never seen nor ever heard of one. That recipe almost always assures that the auction will have a "Train Wreck Ending".

I've been #2 in many times. I remember loosing a beautiful 3-Lam Signed Deerslayer with distincitve alternating wood colors in the handle. My 2700 bid in that auction caused a head on collision for that "Train Wreck Ending". Although I have four 3-Lam Grumleys with alternating colored handles , and several Deerslayers, I still don't have a Deerslayer with that handle variation...

But just because you loose in one of these auctions with a "Train Wreck Ending", it doesn't mean that you will never find that elusive bow you bid on...

I remember several auctions when I as the #2 bidder against the same guy who aced me out of the alternating wood color handle Deerslayer. He took me to the woodshed on a 56" Walnut Compass Kodiak for 1550. But then a few months later I picked up a 56" Walnut Kodiak from a private party for 300. Being the nice guy I am who enjoys sharing information with fellow collectors, after receiving it, I sent photographs of my 300 bow to the 1550 owner along with a thank you note for saving me 1250 at that "Train Wreck Ending"... priceless...

For me, acquiring a collectible item is just a small part of the collecting. Researching the history and development of the item through documents of the era, seeing other similar items and talking with their owners, having fun along the way, meeting other collectors, making new friends, sharing information with others, and if practical using the item for hunting, are all facets of collecting that are more enjoyable than just acquiring all the different variations the item.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Oh yes we all love the dead mint originals better all the way...bd

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Wade did u say CRAZY collectors that we are.. I my self is not a big of collector as you... But we are CRAZY LOL.....

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Wade....I always figured in auctions that i loose they paid good money for the item and they made more then one and hopefully the next one I will get a better deal. It may take awhile to show up again but I still may be around when it does...Here in Michigan its nice to find the items on the street so to speak..alot better then E*&Y..always shaking the bushes to see what falls out...Bill
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 03:37:00 PM »
Bill - I agree, there is always the chance of another one showing up. And if you outlive everyone else, you may even have a second shot at anything you lost out on during a previous auction.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
Here's a bow that probably falls into the same era as that beautiful bush bow,maybe a  little earlier.Tell me what you think.It's a Hunter model with osage,yew,and hickory that is backed with the bi-directional glass like the bush bow and the early Grizzly's,Polars,and Kodiaks.It has the small running bear decal but instead of the decal with the model on it,it is written in black ink "Bear Archery".It also has in black above the grip the letters DJ and I believe the number 26 or 26".It must be another variation from that transition period.It's a really cool bow with multiple laminations in the riser.That bush bow would have been a nice mate for this one.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
One more showing the riser.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Wow John thats a dandy there with no brush noc..D = 4 J = 0 or 10 makeing the bow 40# or 50# ?????? bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
Ya,that's what I figured doc but I haven't strung it to find out yet.Pretty neat bow though.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 05:05:00 PM »
string that thing up and scale it real quick for me will ya ??? just kidding.The one I have someone tried to string up and maybe even tried shooting it.However the take down latch was not correctly seated and it broke the screw.Luckily only the screw and not the bow broke.
I believe Wade mentioned something about shooting them or let me say not shooting them.I've seen several very rare models broken because someone just had to shoot 1 or 2 arrows and thats about all it takes sometimes.Best to just not string them I guess...bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Ya doc.I figured I'm crazy enough for stringing that Bear Products Grumley bush bow.I think I'll just admire this one unstrung.I don't want y'all to think I'm totally insane!!
 Doc- I'm gonna package up that maple sight window and '63 dogleg Magnum and get them to you a.s.a.p.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
You know I myself have shot like I believe 3 Grum's and to tell you straight up.I personaly thought they shot like dodo.Your talking hand shock for hell.One was 60# and kicked like a mule.
Sounds good I will keep both eyes open..bd

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 06:35:00 PM »
Sounds good doc.Not the part about kicking like a mule but about keeping both eyes open.Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©