INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bow used in old moives  (Read 828 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow used in old moives
« on: February 21, 2009, 07:48:00 PM »
Hello Guys, I just got done wacthin the moive deliverance. And got thinkin what are some other moives that used tradbow in them... and the names I don't know only of deliverance that used bows... I was thinkin if there where any other moives that did used bows they mosy likey would have been Bear or Pearson....

Thanks Guys,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow used in old moives
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Cody I wish I could remember the names but there were several that I saw that there were recurve bows used. If I remember I will let you know.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
thnaks wadde, I am sure there where many as well...
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline ses

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
what was the bow rambo used with broadhead that would up a tank
if a man is alone in the woods and no woman can hear him is still wrong?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
Recurve (a Bear, I think) was used by Wilford Brimley in the Jean Claud Van Daam movie filmed in the Bayou.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Also, in the TV version of the Odyssey from a few years ago, the bow used when Odysseus comes home to kill Penelops's suitors looked like a recurve.  All of the various Robin Hood movies-John Derek, Richard Greene (1950's TV), Kevin Costner, Mel Brooks-, also The Scorpion King, in Predator, Arnie makes a bow from a bundle of sticks, in Rio Bravo, the character Bull (Mitchums deputy) used a longbow.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
I think Rambo had a Hoyt?
                              Scott

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »
I believe the 1938 version of Robin Hood was the one where Howard Hill did all of the trick shots in it.  He actually shot the actors who were wearing square blocks of cork strapped to them.  Talk about confidence.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:43:00 PM »
Selfbow, I just saw that Van Daam movie with Wilford Brimley shooting a recurve, but believe it was a Martin hunter.  It had some pretty good scenes of Wilford shooting the bow, so I bet he had some previous archery experience.

The western movie "The Professionals" with Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan had Woody Strode portraying a bounty hunter who used a longbow.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Cody - The 1922 Robin Hood trick shooting was done by Capt. Jack A. Hoefer, old time tackle maker and archery shop owner who obviously used his own bows.

Hoefer also did the archery prop work in Cecil B. DeMille's 1932 "Sign of the Cross" using his own tackle. In doing research for "Broadheads 1971-1971, Identification and Rarity Guide, Second Edition", I bought a copy of "Sign of the Cross" so I could watch the archery scenes frame by frame to authenticate  a large Cast Aluminum Broadhead that was given to me years earlier by one of Hoefer's employees who told me it was used in the that 1932 move. I was able to authenticate the head in the scene where the Romans ambush the Christians during their secret gathering.  

Of course Howard Hill used his own tackle for the trick shooting in the 1938 Robin Hood, which is still my favorite version.

Hugh Rich did a lot of archery consulting work for the Movie Industry in California. Hugh bought out Hoefer's archery shop. Hugh was just a short distance from the movie industry. Because Hugh supplied the archery tackle and did the archery consulting on many movies as far back as the 1940s, he got to know many of the prominent actors of the era. They naturally contacted Hugh when they needed help with anything to do with archery in a movie.

If Hugh were still alive, he could tell you the exact bows that were used in many of the old movies that are 40 to 60 years old.

In the dozens of letters Hugh wrote to me, in the late 1970s and into the 1980s there may be something about some of those old movie bows, but I don't recall any specifics. Every time I dig into the fat folder of Hugh's old letters, I get drawn in reading his words for half a day or more. Should probably just have those letters transcribed into a book.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©