INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Val's 1959 Kodiak Special 62"  (Read 2825 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Val's 1959 Kodiak Special 62"
« on: February 25, 2009, 11:29:00 AM »
I will say I been about as busy as one could get.I did not even have time to do much shooting.Which actually is my real love of archery.Shooting the darn bows.
It finally stopped raining this morning and is somewhat sunny out.
I just could not resist stringing and testing out a few bows I've picked up.
This AM I took the string off my 1959 Grizzly and adjusted it to fit Val's 1959 Kodiak Special 62" 59#'s and its one of the shortest heaviest specials I've shot.
One thing is for sure if I were still shooting bows in the plus 55#-60# range I would be keeping this gem for the bowdocs special Special...Its just a bit to heavy for me though but man what a shooter.Nail driveing machine right there.Here's a pic of it strung...good looking bows.bd  

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Val's 1959 Kodiak Special 62"
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:35:00 AM »
Yeah I figured it a bit heavy for you bowdoc-better send that one to me so it won't go unattended.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Wow Bj if I were still shooting that weight I would be using it in Que'bec for the 50th birthday of the 1959 this spring..thats one heck of a hard hitting bow right there.
It is the one from gbay and it did have the small crack at the shelf but it only took 3-4 drops of LC on it and it was fine.I shoot it at around 27" draw this AM many times and it was shooting great.I thought about narrowing the limbs and reduce the draw weight 3-4#.But the limbs are already so narrow from the factory it would be hard to do.pretty darn cool bow...bd

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:01:00 PM »
Bowdoc

You seem to be out of stock of those accented «é». I have a few extra «é» laying around so I thought I would send you some through this post.

Here you go     ;)    

ééééééééééééééééééééééééééééé

If you need more, let me know.

-Simon (from Québec)

Nice bow BTW

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:08:00 PM »
Simon where the heck did you get all those ? bd

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Bowdoc

I can’t divulge my source. I might, actually I am going to pay you guys a visit this summer in La Tuque and I’ll bring an assortment of é è ê à and â  
for all to sample and enjoy.

On an other note, there don’t seem to be any rest or side plate on Val’s KS.

-Simon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I will be looking foward to seeing you and collecting some e's and a's or is it ahh.
Good eye Simon there is no strike plate or arrow rest on the 59 Special.If you are going to chrony a bow always lieve the strike plate and arrow rest off.That will help prevent drag and make the bow shoot a bit faster.I learned that via E.T.Williams and Jack Howard...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
BowDoc - The 62" 1959 Kodiak Specials are real nail drivers. I have them from 40# to 65# and have found all of them to be great shooters.

The VA612, 62" 55# 1959 at the left of these half dozen extra '59 & '60 Specials, is one of the best shooting bows I've ever owned. Still has the original marcata tips and original lettering on the riser. Also has a few stress cracks in the lower limb. Always meant to send it to you for new tips and refinish, but never got around to it. Don't really have a need for another hunting bow so have only used it for the occasional stroll on those nice days and to demonstrate how great a sleek old 55# bow can actually shoot.  

If you run into anyone who needs a lighter one than your 59#, let them know about this 55#, as I could be talked out of any of these 6 extra old Specials.

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Wade, put me in your will for the 2nd one on the left side with the Brazilian rosewood featuring the big stripe of sap wood. I love that stuff! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Oh yeah they are just great shooters.The 55 may even run a bit on the high side for me also.I'am more the 51-53# guy.I do shoot 55-60 but can't all day.Some real beauties...bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 03:03:00 PM »
CKruse - You and I both have a lot in common with Fred Bear as he also like that Brazilian Rosewood with the sap wood. Fred had a special name for it. I have a 1959 and a 1960 Kodiak that each have some sapwood showing. Makes for a nice contrast.

BowDoc - The nicest 62" 1959 KS I have is labeled 50# but scales 52#. No you are not getting it, it is the one in my collection and is all original.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 03:13:00 PM »
I also have the 1959 64" 52# Kodiak Special of Vals which is very near the specs of my own 1959 Kodiak 64" 51#.
Its really hard to say which one shoots better Kodiak or Kodiak Special as far as 64" bows go.I know neather one is smoken fast by any means however they do shoot very good.bd

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
BowDoc - I have three 1959 64" Kodiak Specials and several 64" 1959 Kodiaks. While these 64" bows are good shooters, the 1959 62" Kodiak Special is better in my hands, but my preference for hunting is still the 60" Kodiak.

I don't care for the 64" length for hunting probably because the 60" Kodiak limbs never seem to be in the way. For me the 4" longer limbs frequently are in the way, especially when stalking in brush or timber.

I also like the leather grip of the Kodiak for hunting. I've found it especially useful it's unbearably hot or bitterly cold.  

While the 1959 Kodiak Special is a good shooter, has an eye catching riser, and is a pleasant distraction as a Bear Collectible, give me the plain old 60" 1959 or 1960 Kodiak for hunting any day and I will be happy.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I love my 62" 50# (bottom bow in photo)

I like it so much, I'd like to have a couple more    ;)  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Wade, thanks for the photo of the 59 KS's and 60 KS's side by side.  I was aware of the fiberglass on the backside of the sight window as being a feature of the 60 KS.  I see from the pics that the inlay on the belly side of the riser is a different shape as well.  A true crescent on the 1960 whereas the 1959 has a flare at each end.

It's very helpful to see the pictures of different models side by side.  As everyone knows we dont always get the pictures we would like from potential sellers.  Every little IDing tip helps.  

Nice bows all of them. Thanks again. Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Trap - Yes, the riser insets in the 1959 and 1960 Kodiak Specials are completely different. The 1960 inset is a true cresent. Explaining the difference can be confusing until you see them side by side.

The 1959 Kodiak Special is shown in both the 1959 and 1960 Bear Catalogs, which really confuses collectors who only have catalog copies for reference and never see the true crescent inset.

Your two 1959 Kodiak Specials are nice looking bows. The 62" 50# is as blond as any 59 Special I have ever seen.

In  my collection display, I have its length/weight twin 62", 50#, VA467L. That is the bottom bow in the 59-60 KS & KSD display.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Yeah, I've never seen one this color either.

Serial # VA558L

It has no overlay material on the belly side of the tips like the 64 incher I have, and the tips are a little smaller and sleeker.  Early 59KS or Later 59KS? Any thoughts?  

It's really a shooter, Trap

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
That is it! Wade, Trap, and  the rest of you fellas, from now on when i am traveling i am contacting folks cause I just have to see this stuff up close.

you guys have some great stuff.   :clapper:  

Mickey

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
Trap - I've seen many original finish Kodiaks with the blond color... become real dark when re-finished. Would guess the same would happen to your 62" 59 KS if it were refinished.

I call the black material on the belly at the tips, Underlays, as a means to differentiate from overlay material. Just trying to make a common language more easily understood.

Not sure there is a chronological order to the underlays. Never really tried to figure them out as to me they are simply one of many cosmetic features that are not worthy of consideration for dating bows.

I would not be surprised to learn that there are exceptions to high-low 1959 serial numbers with or without underlays.

I would think in a few days, that we could get a few dozen 1959 Kodiak Serial numbers of various lengths to see if a pattern emerges with or without underlays.

Of the 9 I've shown on this thread, 3 have underlays. Of your two, 1 has underlays. BowDoc has two, that is 13. If we can get a couple dozen more, we may see a pattern.

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
May be Bear Archery's prettiest design, they are nice.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©