INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Grizzlies  (Read 1357 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Grizzlies
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Please excuse the sacrilege, but, I really don't like Kodiak bows, they feel clubbish in my hand compared to a Grizzly (and I've got a good sized hand).  I am a Grizzly fan. I have about a dozen Grizzlies and wanting more, hopefully one from each year from Grayling.  I've only got 3 Kodiaks, and at least 1 of them is headed down the road soon, I won't even bid on one. From what I have been able to find, most data on dating Bears is geared toward Kodiaks.  I know there are some similarities between the two, but not much is out there specifically on the Grizzly.  Even on this site, most of the discussion is about Kodiaks, with occassional digressions about the Grizzly.  Is there a person or website that can give us "odd balls" (maybe I'm the only one) help dating our Grizzly?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:24:00 PM »
I have a couple Grizzlies and like em pretty well also. Would like to learn a little more about too.            ......Scott

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
There is a 59 Grizzly coming my way. It will be my first Griz and I too would like to know more on these bows. You are not alone. Why don’t you start by showing us those Grizzlies? I am shur that this thread is going to interest many collectors and probably contribute to the recent hype on these bows... The prices are through the roof!

-Simon

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
I like 'em too,up until '64, but my '68 56 inch was my first trad bow and my son shoots it now.
I've learned quite a bit from Wade and Bjorn in a recent thread.
How about posting up pics of yours chronologically to get started? That would be fun.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
My favorite is the 59 Grizzly.  All of the 62" Grizzlies I've had have been really nice shooting bows and very very quiet.  

I don't have any real experience with grizzlies after 1964 but I'm sure they are fine weapons as well.  

I think the Top of the Line Models from any manufacturer are always going to attract the most attention by collectors. Thus the Kodiak gets more attention when talking about Bear bows.

Sure doesnt mean the less expensive models are any less adequate bows, and they definately have their fans.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Phil - I think more guys should adapt your philosophy about collecting Bear bows, and go after the Grizzlies... and sell me their Kodiaks…

I have some extra 1949 to 1954 Bear Static Grizzlies and a 1959 Grizzly that I would trade for Kodiaks…

Let me know what Kodiaks you want to get rid of… maybe we can do some trading…

What type of Grizzly do you need help dating... ?

1. static recurve
2. natural wood riser, working recurve
3. green wood riser
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
Here are my Grizzlies.  Some I know the year, others I think I know.

49 or 50? (the one on the right)

'53 times 2

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
More of them.

56 or 57?  What does the R mean?

62?

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
More.

64?  Blasted sights!!!!

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline mullet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
I just got a mint, 64 Grizz. I was amazed how fast and smooth it shot. Wade, I'd be real tempted to trade one of those 58 Kodiaks I got for an early Grizz' static?

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
The last one.  I've also got a '58 and a '60 on the way.  My Kodiaks are a 2 Magnums and 1 Hunter.  One of the Magnums, the '66, definitely goes, maybe the other 2 also, I haven't decided yet ('69s with black glass on the front of the riser.  Maybe special, maybe not from what I've read).  

69 Factory Camo

SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
As you can see, I've got questions about different ones.  I had hoped I had a '51, but sadly, I don't.  I don't know if the aluminum lam is a 49 or a 50.  The '56/'57 has silk screens, a double shelf, and black glass.  The '62? was my brother-in-law's it never leaves.  The '64?, what can I say-SIGHTS!!!.  Am i correct on my dating?

The Kodiaks, I've read that the '69 with black glass and black limb tips is rare, beats me.  The Magnum has black tips with black over white on the riser, the Hunter has white tips with white over black on the riser.  Is this significant?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
My first real recurve (discounting a horendous green solid fiberglass bow) was a Grizzly I bought new in 1967 or 1968.  I killed my first deer with it.

I have one now, a '66 Grizzly, pretty bow and good shooter.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I just got a really nice 63 today, 45#. Will try to post pics.
                         .......Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Boy you guys are hard to keep up with, 8 posts in 25 minutes... wow...

Phil - Lets back up a bit and start at the beginning. Please don't take this as criticism, as it is not meant that way....

When you said you did not like Kodiaks, it seems that the bows you were specifically taking about were Kodiak Magnums, and Kodiak Hunters. As collectors, we should make every effort to communicate as clearly as we can by referring to the bows by their full names

Kodiak
Kodiak Special or KS
Kodiak Special DeLuxe or KSD
Kodiak Magnum or KM
Kodiak Hunter or KH
Super Kodiak or SK

I collect all Kodiaks and Kodiak Specials up to 1960 as well as all Kodiak Special DeLuxes.

But I do not collect Kodiak Magnums nor do I collect Kodiak Hunters nor Super Kodiaks...

The word Kodiak to 95% of the Bear Bow collecting community, means only one thing, the Bear Kodiak produced from 1950 to 1966.

As I have said many times, I am not a Grizzly Collector, but do have several static Grizzlies simply because they are an extension of the 1930s and 1940s Bear Grumley bows, which I also seriously collect.

I am one who believes in establishing guidelines for accurately classifying bows and other collectibles.

Hopefully we can use this thread to establish an accurate and easy to understand format for the Bear Grizzlies so in the future everyone can understand how to date them. I believe I can handle the statics pretty well so will start that in the next post...

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Wade,

Sorry for the misspeak. I thought Kodiak covered the Kodiak and all variations therof.  I'll try to be more specific in the future. What you said about the meaning of Kodiak is probably true, for 95% of the serious collectors.  But to many of us novices, Kodiak is an all encompassing term for all the various Kodiaks you mentioned.  

To restate what I said earlier, I am not a fan of any Kodiak or Kodiak version, except maybe the Magnums.  I don't care for the grip.  I got the 2 magnums I have as a package deal in a trade or I wouldn't have them.  The Hunter was also the result of a trade, it's a '69, the year I graduated, so it was special. I had what I now believe was a '53 Kodiak, I it traded for one of my '53 Grizzlies because it felt like a club in my hand. Unless I had the chance to pick up what I was sure was a true rarity, I probably wouldn't even bother. If it was almost a freebee, I might pick it up to pass through to a true Kodiak lover.

I am ready to learn what ever you have to teach me, Wade. Thanks for your time and the sharing of your knowledge.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 10:03:00 PM »
Very well put Wade. When someone says Kodiak, most don't think Magnum or Hunter. BTW your 63 Grizzly is a type II. The type I had a lot better looking riser IMO, which closely resembled the Kodiak of the same year. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
First I would say, that the 3-Lam Grumley Deerslayer evolved into the machine made 1947-48, 3-Lam Decal Deerslayer, which evolved into the 1949 Grizzly. In 1950, the Kodiak was developed as the Grizzly’s up-scaled offshoot with a slightly higher price tag.

The 1949 and 1950 Grizzly are identical, so no clean cut year definition is attempted. Remember, prior to 1949 and 1950 Bear did not have new bows every year and did not have new catalogs every year either...

Most 1949 and 1950 Grizzly bows have either walnut or cherry over the aluminum lamination... Cherry is the most prominent.

If you want to say 1949 is Walnut and 1950 is Cherry, you will find that the serial numbers do not bear this out.

From the few dozen Grizzly serial numbers I have checked over the years, it appears that the numbers simply ran continuously from one year into the next from 1949 to 1953.

Lets try to establish some guidelines for dating Bear Bows… we are trying to use the least variable and minimum number of characteristics... these are shown in order for determining date…

1. Form bow was built on
2. Riser shape & wood
3. Glass color

Cosmetic features shown below are used only when all three above characteristics are identical

4. Decals vs Silk Screens
5. Tip Underlays / Overlays

---------------

Grizzly Static – Single Shelf, Rest Inside the Leather Grip  (either RH or LH)
1949 – Woven Glass Back, Alum Lam under Walnut or Cherry on Belly
1950 – Woven Glass Back, Alum Lam under Walnut or Cherry on Belly
1951 – Str Blonde Glass Back, Alum Lam under Cherry on Belly
1952 – Str Blond Glass Back & Belly
1953 – Red Glass Back & Belly

Grizzly Static – Double Shelf Cut into Riser Wood (both RH & LH)
1954 – Red Glass
1955 – Black Glass, 4" Tip Underlays, Decals
1956 – Black Glass, 4" Tip Underlays, Silk Screens,
1957 – Black Glass, < 2" Tip overlays

----------------

Let's all look this over and see if the Static Grizzlies we have will fit one of these descriptions, if not post a photograph and we will help.

Bjorn and I bounced parts of this around on a couple of other threads during the past two weeks.

I'm certain Bjorn and others can help put together the recurve Grizzly bows...

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Wade,

Thanks.  I have a pretty good handle on my Static tips now, '58-'62 are still a bit hazy.

One of my '57s has an "R" above the serial number, the other doesn't.  There was another post recently that showed a '57 with the "R" .  What does the "R" above the serial number of these bows mean?  Is it specific to '57s?

Thanks.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »
Took some pics of 3 statics this AM for dating.
First,#18529B, blonde glass, blond woven underlays, single shelf,  1952

Second #25912 red  glass, dual shelf,running bear decal 1953-54 ?

Third #29418 red glass, single shelf, standing bear decal  1953-54?

[IMG]
All riser shapes and wood are identical with limb width slightly wider on the heavier poundage
These fit Wades dating system with one exception of the highest number being single shelf, which could be a transition bow.
With more numbers and shelf types maybe we could find a transition serial number.
This is fun! Gotta go for awhile.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©