INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wanted: Jack Howard Info  (Read 613 times)

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
Wanted: Jack Howard Info
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I have read virtually every thread on this site and the other well known traditional archery site that contained any references to Jack Howard, as well as the "legends and pioneers" piece on Jack Howard. Can anyone point me in the direction to gather any more info relating to Jack and his bows?  Does anybody have any old issues of archery/bowhunting magazines that had interviews with Jack?  If so, would you be willing to provide photocopies or scan them for me?  I am 46 years old, and have been into traditional archery for about 22 years, and I don't know many people my age, let alone the younger generation, that know anything about the man or the bows he made. It won't be long before he is forgotten. I would appreciate any help in keeping the flame burning.  Thanks,
Gregg

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wanted: Jack Howard Info
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »
Gregg

You have hit on all of the sources that I could forward you too, except personal conversations that I and many others have had with Jack. He was great to talk too. Of course all proceeds go to Jacks widow, Dorothy.

One thing you should have is one of his Bowhunters catalogs.  Is still have about 20 of them.  We are selling them for $17 delivered, with a 50 cent surcharge if you pay by PayPal.  If you want one, PM me you address and I will send payment instructions.  

TO the best of my knowledge, the definitive GARU on Jack Howard would be Kelly Peterson.  You can find him here as KELLY.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
Jack,
Thanks, I got one of the bowhunters catalogs from you already. Nice piece of history.  Maybe Kelly will weigh in with some add'l info.
Gregg

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Sorry Gregg.  Can't keep track of who I sent them to.

Are you planning to do a biography on Jack?

Someone should.  If so, an interview with Ms Dorothy is in order while she is still around to answer questions.  She should know more than anyone about Jack.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:57:00 PM »
Jack,
It would take someone a lot more informed and a better writer than me to tackle a JH biography.  It is just that his bows are different enough to raise the eyebrows of the uninitiated, or should I say "unenlightened",(there aren't too many of us left still shooting 66" recurves with rosewood risers and white belly glass!).  It would be nice to be able to provide as much info as possible about the man and bow to those few who do show an interest.
Gregg

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
Classic Bowman here--- manfromthepast- I would have to agree it would take some doing to write a biography on JH-
I guess all I can say it that I started buying bows from him in 1985 -I first saw his bows in Al Reider's ( bow collector) home back about that time- he had two hanging on his wall with a personal letter. I asked Al about the bows he said those are Jack Howard bows the best bows ever made- that is a big statement coming from a guy who has collected bows for over 40 years + -
Over the span of over 20 years I had many conversation with jack and bought many bows--
I even sent many of my own bows to individuals to try -- one guy was Bruce Widsel arrow maker
I think he ended up buying about 7 of jacks bows-- as a matter of fact -- I had a hard time getting my bow back form him--
I guess I could write a book about Jack-- all I can say is that he knew his stuff- but hunting and archery and shooting-
he made beautiful bows-- not may people realize that when a Howard is strung it is about 63" lone due to the recurve in the tips
I have shot 3 moose with my 58# and 52# bow-- one caribou and one sheep-
Although his bows are difficult to travel with these days -- I feel naked not taking one on a trip ! it is surprisine no one I know ever challenged his saying-- I make the world's fastest bow- remember he did not use fast flight- he used specail string material-
His bows are very stable shooting-
I have shot all different weights of his bows--
from 42# to 63# -- all are fast and powerful !
I guess I could write a book on his bows !
all I can say is that his bows are very special -- anyone owning one should cherish it -- no one will ever duplicate it-
sometime down the road I will do some pictures of my collection- and info on what I have--
It is important to the archery world that he not ge forgotten -- Good Shooting  -Classicbowman

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
Guys, you have just been enlightened by someone who knows more about Jack Howard than I do, Rob Tiberio-AKA Classicbowman. It is good of you to join in here-I'm sure others will welcome your perspective of Jack.

Rob, when are you going to sell that 42#'er to me?

Jack Howard was a very accomplished target archer winning many local & NFAA tournaments in California and surrounding states. Believe he placed second in the Nationals one year. Then he developed target panic and eventually had to quit shooting at paper. He then truned his full attention to bowhunting, developing the Gamemaster Jet and the production of it. After nearly 47 years in Archery/bowhunting and shooting 100's of different bows I still rate the Gamemaster Jet as one of the best shooting bows ever built. And it is a great looking bow to boot.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 11:43:00 PM »
If you want to look for articles about Jack or written by Jack you need to look at "Bow and Arrow" and "Archery" magazines from the 1960's.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Thanks Kelly and Rob.

When I first learned that Jack was still alive and still making bows, I begand to search him out.  It was Kelly  tat finally provided me with contact info.

I now have 3 old Gamemasters, 1 Carbon Classic, 5 Jets, and 1 Howard Hunter. I am still on the quest for the illusive "Target Master Supreme".

While I am very proud of my Jack Howard collection, I know it does not even come close to Robs.

ROB - how many and what do you have?

How about you Kelly?

As much as I know about Jack and his bows, it is a smidgeon of the knowledge shared by Rob and Kelly.

If anyone is interested, we will have another 46# Classic coming up as part of the Jack Howard Project.  Ray Roan (NUMPLS) should be putting it up soon.

To date we have sent Ms Dorothy over $2000 as proceeds fromt he project.

I hate hearing Rob say no one will ever duplicate his bows.  Ms Dorothy still has the company for sale with all equipment and supplies, and detailed instructions left by Jack on his building process.  I guess I am hoping agains hope that someone will take it over and continue his legacy.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 12:23:00 PM »
Rob and Kelly, thanks for weighing in.  I have only 2 Jets...for now.  My wife keeps asking "Why do you need another one? They all look the same."  My response "Yep, and ain't that beautiful!"  I haven't told her yet that there is a "Classic" model also.  She'll find out when the time is right, unless a 64" long package shows up at the house while I'm not there to sneak it down to the basement through the garage while she's not looking. Rob, I'll keep an eye out for 60's "Bow and Arrow" and "Archery" mags. Keep it coming. It would be great if some of us from the Pa, NY, NJ, MD area could get together at a shoot somewhere and fondle each others' jewels (in a non-gay way)!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:06:00 PM »
GREGG

Been there done that with sneaking them into the basement.

She came down one day and saw all my bows and asked "how many bows can you shoot at one time?  My answer "about as many pairs of shoes as you can wear at one time.

So far so good.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
I love that!!!!!!!!how ya been jack?   :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »
Been good, Mark

How are things back home in Cajun County.

Crawfish prices comin' down yet?

Be there in April to suck some heads.

Offline manfromthepast

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Jack,
You got that right on with the women and their shoes. Fortunately/unfortunately my wife is pretty sensible about shoes, so your argument won't work for me.  My ploy is to accumulate enough so that one more isn't noticeable.  I'm just not there yet.  I shot and made longbows and selfbows long enough that I could probably walk right by my wife with fresh armload of straight bows and not get questioned, but the recurves are a different story.
Gregg

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
The "accumulate enough so that one more isn't noticeable" theory works well.  You just need to keep her out of the basement until you reach that point, and ease her in with some kind of distraction when she finally goes done there.  

A good way is to have a rat in a cage when she enters the room.  You will need a trigger mecanism on the cage door to realeas as she enters.    :scared:    Once you get her past that point you should be OK.

Another good ploy is to tell her that you had considered investing in AIG, but you found that investing in collectible bows was a safer place to park your money.    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©