INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Bear Coins !!  (Read 1590 times)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Coins !!
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
If I had an original for sale it would be somewhere 40-50.00 pending on condition.I paid 150.00 for a broken 1959 Kodiak Special once to rape the coin for a bow as directed by a customer.I sent the broken KS back along with the restored Kodiak and never seen it again.
I was offerd an original 1959 Kodiak copper coin about 3 weeks ago for 65.00 but we passed on that one...bd

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 12:24:00 AM »
Sorry it will be this Sat. before I can get together with the engraver and figure out the final tweaking and price.

I can tell you it will be around $20 for sure.

It will take a week for my order to get to me.

Does anyone want any Aluminum coins?? I was going to offer them, but have not heard of any desire?

JRH  I am going to make the Silver coins, but want to wait to offer them, its much harder on the die, so wait a little bit and they will be available (higher price though)
Hope nobody is crazy enough to take out an original and put in a repro?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:52:00 AM »
Kurt,
 I was just saying that if there is some confusion as to what coin originally came in a 1959 Grizzly,someone may have one with an original nickel coin and think it's the wrong one and put a repro copper one in it's place.
 As many collectors have found out,you can't date all Bear bows based on the color(or metal)of the coin.That was my point.I just wanted some other more knowledgeable collectors to verify that the '59 Grizzly's did come with nickel coins instead of copper.I seem to remember this but I'm not 100% positive.Hate to see someone pop an original coin out of a bow and replace it with the wrong repro.
 Can't wait to get one of your coins to check it out.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
I've owned 5 59 Grizzlies  

4 had aluminum coins and 1 had German Nickel. I've never seen one with a copper coin, but they may be out there.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 08:37:00 AM »
I have 2 Grizzly's both have german nickle silver coins.I've also seen them with aluminum coins....but no coppers in Grizzly's.However I have seen several 1960 Kodiaks with german nickle coin same as the Grizzly's.Fact is there is one viewed in the avatar right above my post...That is the original factory installed coin as it had bear factory finish around the edges and would have been near impossible to have replaced it without chipping the finish.I've since seen several of those type coins in 1960's Kodiaks...bd

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Internet confusion!!!
I am wrong in saying its 59 replacement coin!

What would be a good general year description for them? Copper or Aluminum,I will have both.
Silver will be a bit longer till there here.

John
Thanks for saying it out loud
All of you know, I am Bear date challenged.

I don't want to sell them as 59 replacements, if that's not what they are!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Just call them Replacement Copper Bear Coin and  Replacement Alumininum Bear Coin.

If you start trying to date them you're going to have folks arguing with you about which coin goes in which bow and on and on and on.  It's usually pretty simple but sometimes it's about as clear as mud.

Case in point, Within the last year there has been several Bear Kodiak Deluxes and Bear Kodiak Special Deluxes offerred for sale by a couple different sellers on the big auction site.  These particular bows have been listed as 1959, 1959/60 and 1960 model bows.  Funny thing is the 59 Bear Archery Catalog never mentions a Kodiak Deluxe or a Kodiak Secial Deluxe.  I suppose these sellers based their description and dating on the coin type. Some of them had Copper coins and some had Nickel coins.  These same sellers have more collectible Bear bows than many of us will ever see.  I was a little surprised that they put so much "stock" in dating by coin type when written documentation points to something different.  

I guess what I'm saying is, provide a couple metal types and let someone else date the bows they have and decide which coin they need.  

Sorry for rant and lengthy post, Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Trap - Well said.

I especially like to see the "coin dating experts" stupefied reaction to those 1959 to 1962 Bear Kodiaks, Kodiak Specials or Grizzly bows that have NO COIN... Those bows are dating nightmares for the "coin dating experts".

I agree, Replacement Copper Bear Coin and Replacement Aluminum Bear Coin are the correct names, as well as accurate and unmistakable descriptions.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 10:49:00 AM »
....bd

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:00 PM »
I had a very 'serious' collector sell me a 1960 Kodiak as a 1959 Kodiak due to the copper coin in the bow! Wade can you guess who that was? Shhhh!
To him the riser wood and glass was nothing!
The coin was sacred and had to be use to date the bow.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
Bjorn - You pose a tuff question with so many coin dating experts these day.... I would guess that 1960 Kodiak you bought from the seller who thought it was a 1959, came from the same state that you live in...

Do I win the bow if I guess correctly?

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Wade, enough guesses already! LOL!
If only the coin would have been German Silver the bow coulda' been a lot less money?  :bigsmyl:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
One thing I should maybe mention.Not that big of a deal though.I've installed a good number of coins that were not from the same bow.Some were missing and some were damaged or maybe had been sanded over at one time or another.
Gee I sure hope no one is all confused in 20 years because of something I did.bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 09:44:00 AM »
Oh I bet there's several folks confused about some things you've done Doc  :bigsmyl:  

Trap

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Doc - You know what you are doing. Everyone knows that.

As you know, replacing missing or damaged coins can be as common as replacing the strike plate or rest. All three are cosmetic, decorative features that can be easily replaced.  

Some less experienced than you don't realize that many of the same year bows were made and shipped with different coins, e.g., 1960 Kodiak copper and aluminum coins. Some also don't realize just how frequently a coin fell out of a bow.

Just last weekend while I was on the phone, I accidentally knocked a 1961 Kodiak Special off a 30" tall table onto a cement floor... the coin popped out and went rolling across the floor... I don't recommend that coin removal method to everyone! But I may have hit on something for those really stubborn coins that just won't come out.

Doc - In 20 years, I don't think anyone will be confused by anything you did.... oops, well, well, maybe there is just one little, small, minor thing...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Oh yeah then you run across the 1960's that have germen nickle silver coin BJ mentioned(same as 1960's type Grizzly coin).Man those really just through some guy's for a loop.
I was crafty enough many years ago and on some advice from Glenn's StCharles to keep notes of everything I was doing.That was all well and good keeping notes on bows was just fine.However keeping notes on everything I do.Well wait a minute not everything I do.Not gonna happen..bd

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
and then...bd  

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Did you soak it in cider Doc ?  :bigsmyl:    :thumbsup:  

Trap

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
nope Trap she had to work today so I'am home by myself.Oh you mean the coin ? bd

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 01:38:00 PM »
:biglaugh:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©