INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: A real Serious Pearson Deadhead  (Read 991 times)

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
A real Serious Pearson Deadhead
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
I custom made these for a friend. He will be hunting with them in 2009.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A real Serious Pearson Deadhead
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:20:00 PM »
OUCH!!! Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that one.Nicely done.

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
That's awesome Ron. What bleeder did you use? CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
looks great Ron,nice job.  :thumbsup:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
Ron those are pretty neat heads.Gary made several using the bleeder blades from a Pearson switchblade.I may still have one around here somewhere.Thats a huge broadhead and actully seem to fly better for me with bleeders installed.bd

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
Magnus bleeder.
I did some STOS heads last year for another friend and he took several animals with them and was very impressed with the blood trail etc, from  4bld as compared to the 2bld.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Ron - Does this post qualify as "advertising" and have you submitted for inclusion on the ABCC Broadhead Master List? OK, I will ask, what is its name it?
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 09:12:00 PM »
Might I suggest the "Pearson/Brunges Field Dresser". Kill and field dress your deer in one easy step! Looks mighty DEADHEADLY!  CKruse  :scared:
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 09:27:00 PM »
Not advertising.
Not for sale.
Just do them for friends and they provide the heads and bleeders.
I guess if we had to put a name on any 2bld that I convert to 4bld it would be:
"Damn Good Head"

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Here are some more I have done over the years.
Deadhead, Outback Supreme, Delta,Zephyr, El Grande.  

Offline TenSpot1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
That's El Grande on the right?  That looks like one hell of a penatrater!

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Yep, that's a Grizzly El Grande 190 gr plus the 32 gr for the bleeder. I've also done the new 160 gr Ace standard with the Ace bleeder. SWEET!

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Ron B - Glad you have documented some of your custom broadhead work. When did you start making these heads?

You should write a book about all the altered heads. Give you something constructive to do in your retirement years.

Ron B - These are altered Deadheads still on the Eccleston Display boards. Floyd collected handmade and altered heads. These were in the collection by 1991/2. Three were made by bowmen to use. One was made by a collector. The makers' names are lightly written in pencil on each peg, only one was made by a Ron, but not Ron Brunges or Ron Roehrick.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
I'll look for the one I have also later this morning.I think your right Ron in calling it damn good head.Here's a little story from the guy I got mine from.
He'd returned from a elk hunting trip in Montana where he shot a rather nice bull with the deadhead/switchblade combo...He said to me.I made a 12 yard broadside pass thru shot just above the heart..I could see light thru the hole before the bull fell over.I still love that one good head..bd

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 07:44:00 AM »
Ron, very nice looking head, you do nice work. Something different and unique.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
Doc – Here is some accurate history I have been recording about the use of the words “good head” to describe broadheads… the article is still incomplete, but thought it would a good time to share it since you uttered the words at the end of your previous post…

Since 1974, the term "Good Head" was actually the most commonly used term used to describe better broadheads since organized broadhead collecting began that year. Many collectors used the term almost exclusively to describe any broadhead that was not common. The name continued in popular usage for the next 22 years.

Some collectors could not utter a sentence without using the term to describe their broadheads, especially when attempting to entice another collector into a trade. In most cases, the only thing worse then their use of the term was their total and complete lack of legitimate knowledge about the broadhead.  

In July 1996, the term began to fall out of common usage after I wrote a 2-page article in “Broadhead” the ABCC Newsletter, about not knowing what a "Good Head" really was. In the next issue, I wrote some amusing follow up that was about events that occurred during the annual meeting.

Many of the collectors who frequently used the term, “Good Head” began to realize how foolish they were to say those words.

The name was brought back to a new comedic height in 1997 when fellow collectors Jim Edumnson, Mike Horton and I were on a 1,700 mile round trip, driving back from Grayling, Michigan and came up with the idea for a Cartoon Character "Charlie GoodHead" to be the club mascot. Charlie GoodHead the cartoon character, has a head on his shoulders that looks like a broadhead.... Jim, Mike and I came up with his name, appearance and over a dozen different misadventures for Charlie while we were on this trip. Yes, there is even a Mrs. GoodHead. Ed Snyder drew up our idea and we settled on Charlie’s appearance.

The following year, 1998, Ron B, added to the humor when he engraved his 1998 meeting give away heads as "Good Head". Ron’s “Good Head” is pictured at the bottom of all of his TradGang posts.

For the past 12 years, Charlie GoodHead has appeared in the quarterly Newsletter. He even came to life when Scott Smith created a human size cut out of him. I have heard rumors about him having a guest appearance on the Disney channel, but have not been able to confirm this yet.

Today, the term “Good Head” has multiple meanings within the broadhead collecting community.

Generally, collectors have learned to use more precise words to describe broadheads than “Good Head”. The occasional slip of the tongue by a collector or by an unknowing bowman, usually brings a few chuckles from others.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
"Damn Good Heads" seems like an appropriate name from the looks of those babies!!    :scared:  

I think that ones already been trademarked!     :smileystooges:  

>>--Ron--<>
   :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Ron N - Tooooooooooo Much!

RAG-HEAD... Sure hope that name never gets confused with RAG-HORN.

Ron B, Ron R, & Ron N. Three Rons on this thread. Easy to get confused.

Offline Chuck Homitz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2009, 11:10:00 AM »
NICE JOB RON, I'M NOT SET UP TO ADD PHOTOS HERE. I SENT YOU AN EMAIL WITH A  COUPLE OF PHOTOS ON AN ALTERED DEADHEAD I HAVE. NOT SURE WHAT THE BLADE IS. MAYBE FROM A LAFONDS?

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Shooting a deer with a Deadhead certinaly does the job. Shooting one with the first head in Wades picture, the double Deadhead must really open them up.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©