INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: need some help with new bear bow  (Read 495 times)

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
need some help with new bear bow
« on: March 16, 2009, 12:24:00 PM »
I have a new bear take down, which came with no inserts for the quiver. So I will be putting the inserts in myself. I need the measurements of where the inserts go. Can anybody help? Also any advice of the best way to drill the bow, would be appriaciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need some help with new bear bow
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 12:56:00 PM »
Jeff- PM Bowdoc- he'll give you the whole scoop. Grant

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:17:00 PM »
Hi Jeff is that a new model handle ? bd

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Yes, It is the new take down supreme. I sent it back to bear, they said that they could not put the inserts in because the finish was already on.
At first the lady told me that they would not do it because it would crack the riser, then she told me that yes they can do it, but because the finish was already on , they would not do it. So I told her just give me a new riser, they said they would not do that, so I told them to send it back. I ordered some inserts from 3 rivers , received them today. But I found some at Kustom king that I think will work better.
The bow should be back next week, and I will put the inserts in myself.

If I didn't like bear bows so much I would get my money back.
If old fred bear new what was going on he would roll over in his grave.
Jeff

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Jeff, post a few pics of that one when you can. Beautiful bows. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 07:28:00 AM »
Use a brad point bit!  It's much less likely to chip the finish or wood.  Use a drill press if available and clamp the riser to the table regardless of what you're using.  Put tape over the drill location as well for added insurance.

If I might make a sugestion, ignore where Bear puts the quiver inserts.  Angle the arrows back inside the strung profile of the bow.

http://www.arrowsbykelly.com/Other_Tips.html

Those Supremes are real nice bows!!  I dearly miss mine, but my '80(ish) riser fills the void nicely  ;)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:31:00 AM »
My Supreme didn't have the quiver bushings either

I can't help with the actual locations, my riser just has the single bushing in the grip.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Here is a Super K. Bushings are 10 1/2" center-to-center.

"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 09:45:00 AM »
Outstanding bow,I am waiting for mine. 75 days already gone, how many more?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 10:07:00 AM »
It took my bow 3 months to get here, 55 pound, shoots great but not as good looking as the one in the picture above. The lady at bear said it would take three weeks to get back, we will see.
Jeff

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
What are the looking differences in yours? Can you post some pics. Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Horney Toad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I put some inserts in my Martin Hunter recently, since there were holes there. There are a few things to consider:
1. You can drill the hole too deep all the way thru the sight window if you aren't careful. It could happen very easily. Even a perfect hole may splinter the surface of the wood!
2. Don't put the insert in the stripe.
3. Use a drill press with a drill stop. Make some kind of a bow holder to prevent the bow from wobbling when on the drill press table. Drill a little at a time so you just barely have the hole deep enough.

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 12:41:00 AM »
The wood on the riser on mine does not look near as good as the one above. The limbs look about the same but the riser wood is different. It should be back next week, when I get the inserts in I will post some pictures.
Does anybody have a measurement of how far down the top insert is?
Jeff

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 12:46:00 AM »
Well,
I am still waiting, maybe the bow will show this week. Quick question? Should I use any epoxy when I put the inserts in? And I am not sure what size drill bit to use?
Jeff

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Jeff are the new bushing the type that are threaded ? if they are the screw in type you will not need epoxy or any glue.bowdoc

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
bowdoc,
I have two sets, one from 3 rivers that are not the screw in type.  I got a set from kustom king in the mail yesterday that are the screw in type. They have a slot cut in them, I guess it tightens down as you screw them in.
If I use the screw in type, should I just take a quarter inch bolt, with a nut on it , to lock it down and screw them in?
Thanks
Jeff

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »
Yes Jeff that would be better.I hate the glue in type bushings myself because if the glue comes unglued from tightening and untightening your quiver it will only come unglued and make my quiver rattle while I'am stalking in on a huge bull elk.
However with the screw in type bushings everytime you tighten your quiver screws or bolts it will or should keep the bushings tight as well.Your choice but I really like the screw in bushing better myself.And in the rare cases where the bushings keep comeing unscrewed everytime you remove your quiver screws or bolts.You could add one drop of thread locker to the threads to keep them from backing out.bowdoc

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 01:36:00 PM »
Bowdoc,
So how do I set the inserts for the first time?
Jeff

Offline Jeff Kruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Ok Boys,
Just got the bow back today, I will be putting the inserts in tomorrow.Can some one measure a b model riser and give me a lay-out of the inserts. If you had a picture that would help.
Thanks
Jeff

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©