INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: decals  (Read 1055 times)

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
decals
« on: March 20, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
I know the silkscreen type decals are coming, if not already arriving with some folks, but does anyone have/is anyone making the water transfer type for the older Bear or Ben Pearson bows?  I am thinking specifically of decals for the Bear Cub from around 1954 or 1955.  Thanks.

RonP

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: decals
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
Nope Al was working on the early water transfer decals just before he passed away (from 1955 back).I may have a sample somewhere he gave me.I can maybe load up a pic later this morning.bowdoc

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
I know that there are blank water transfer decal sheets out there that you can print on with an inkjet printer.  If I could find the artwork, I'd try it and let everyone know how it turns out.

RonP

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »
Water transfers are easily done on any printer... BUT (there's always a BUT) to get them for our purposes the printer needs to be able to print white ink.  

I have Al's original digital images for the early water transfers (he was nice enough to send them my way).  I wasn't able to find a printer that can use white ink though.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
Ron the art work was nothing more then a digital pic.Then sized to the correct size.Hit the printer button.However none of the early decals are white but you need the white base color to print other colors on.I emailed Al most all of his pics from bows I was working on.keep me posted bowdoc

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
Has anyone tried to take the images to a commercial print shop? I used to work at one when I was younger, and we printed labels and transfers for some of the local plants to be used in labeling their products. I ran an AB Dick printer and you could feed any color ink you had in it? Mostly what I printed the sheets were 8 1/2" X 11". Then we cut them down to size. If I had some images to work with I could run by and see if the shop could make some? Hoof

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
Sorry to hear Al jr. wont have the older ones.
I need a running bear and Kodiak decal for a couple statics.
I'm sure there is a market for these if anyone can make 'em

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
That's also the two I need also seboomook...I'll try and get the digital cam out and see what images I can come up with?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
well let me refraze that.Al jr.may have them at some point.Right now he is working through his fathers computer.But I do not think those will be any time soon.bowdoc

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Hoof, send me you email addy and I'll forward the digital images Al sent me.  They're a little more complex than just a digital pic.  The decals have been isolated and are set up on a "blue screen" type backround.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Hoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
Jeremy PM sent ...

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Very cool guys, hope you can make those work.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
hoof I have the blue screen printed on blue paper Al sent me but I can not seem to locate it right now.I would be happy to mail it along to you to copy ? Here's a couple pics of some of the last water side decals Al was working on..bowdoc  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
these are water slide decals  

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
these are some of the older water slide decals for Super Kodiak and Super Mag.
I would like to add one note.White water slide decals did not work to well because the clear carrier the letters are printed on does not always blind right in(especialey on black fiberglass bows like super K's and super mag's) and they rip real easy.Fact is most of them were pretty easy to spot on restoration jobs because they looked like a picture with frame around them rather then a silk screen or dry transfer.I've tried almost every decal or transfer made and none compare with Alan's.They were well ahead of thier time.As for the older model bows that did come from the factory with decals rather then silk screens.Al's lagre bear small running bear and pat decals work outstanding.On his colored version of early model decals its hard to tell them from the originals.Those 2 sets are the only ones I have left and kind of saved them because they were from Al.bowdoc    

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
The inkjet water slide paper does not work well because you have to seal it with varnish after printing. Once you soak the decal, the varnish causes the edges to curl and they do not lay down well enough once applied to the bow.  However, my tests with laserjet paper have been successful.  I am currently working with my print shop on getting them to print white ink on the laser jet paper.  Some type of feed error on the machine because the adhesive backed vinyl is roll fed not individual sheets.  I will keep working on it!

Dave
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »
keep us posted on how its going Dave..bowdoc

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 09:23:00 AM »
I do have all of Dad's stock and it looks like he hasn't started on any of the Cubs. Sorry Ron.  As far as the watersildes go, it looks like he concentrated on the early Kodiaks.  I have the info from his PC. but I have to get the software he used to make it.  Anything he had made in the past I should be able to do.  The printer he used is out of business for a couple of months but I have a line on a new one for the dry color transfers.  The more I get into this, I am wondering if the dry transfers are the way to go for all the decals.  If there are any questions I can answer or get any decals out to anybody, my e-mail is: [email protected].  Please put in subject line "decals". It might take me a bit longer than Dad to get anything to ya but I will do my best.

Al
Al's Decals

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Al now that you mentioned it I should check the last one's I recieved from Al the two toned color ones may be dry transfers ??? Will keep you posted asap.bowdoc

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Seboomook and Hoof, I do have the running Bear water slides.  Looking at my Dad's reference material and it looks like I have 4 of the 5 decals needed for 50-53 Kodiak.  Drop me a line.

Al
Al's Decals

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©