INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: What did I do wrong? - Updated with source for Dry Transfers  (Read 681 times)

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
What did I do wrong? - Updated with source for Dry Transfers
« on: March 23, 2009, 08:35:00 PM »
All right, I’ll try to keep this as short as possible.  

I decided to refinish the Pearson Signature that I picked up a few months ago.  The first thing that I needed was to get a replacement decal since I knew I would loose the original when sanding.  I paid someone to create the artwork from a picture that I took of the original.  The artwork turned out pretty close to the original so I called of a company that specializes in fishing rod decals to see if they could help me.  The people were very nice and helpful and pointed me toward a “peel and stick” decal.  They said that the clear backing would disappear and all that would show was the white graphics.  I put a base coat of Tru-Oil on the limb, let it cure applied the decal, and applied another 7 coats on top.  As you can see in the pictures, the backing didn’t “disappear”, but I was happy with the way the bow looked when I was finished.  I made a string, strung it up, drew it a couple of times, and then noticed that the decal had somehow shifted and creased.  What did I do wrong?  Why did this happen?  If I decide to re-do this should I use a different type of decal (I have the artwork)?  

By the way I shot the bow yesterday and was surprised at how much I liked it.  I wasn’t expecting much from it based on what I’ve read, but it was super quiet and shot great.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What did I do wrong? - Updated with source for Dry Transfers
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
You need to do a dry transfer type decal. There is someone who makes them on here. Get a hold of bowdoc.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Howattfan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
Adhesive back vinyl will work but the graphic artist should have cut the remaining backing away from the text instead of leaving it there.  A wet slide is another alternative but I have not quite figured out how to have it printed yet.  That is my goal for the month.
Dave
"Even when troubled, maintain the spirit of the bow and arrow and it will heal your sickness".

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 07:39:00 AM »
thats why I stopped using peel and stick printed on mylar and water slide decals booth.
Yes you should trim them as near the letting as possible that will help.However the backing on almost all types peel and stick or water transfer decals will show through your new finish.Water transfer decals are also printed on a clear base sheet so they will transfer once soaked in water.
We've been using dry transfers which work great because there is nothing but the lettering left behind.You press them onto a little tacky finish.Remove the clear backing and there is nothing there but the letters.The original silk screening would be the best but the dry transfers work pretty darn good.bowdoc

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I probably should have checked into this a little more before plowing ahead and pretending that I knew what I was doing.  Not looking forward to stripping the limb again, but want it to look right. I guess I'll chalk this one up to a "learning experience" and give it another try.  Brian

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »
I have found a company out of L.A. who will do color transfers.  They are Ambient Graphics.  Dad’s printer is out of business for a couple of months so I had to find some one else.  I should have the first sheet of 59K yellow some time this week.  They use Adobe Illustrator but I am sure they will take any file and convert it for a price.  I also think you will have to buy a whole sheet. Been working with a guy named P.J. and he seems pretty knowledgeable.  If there is anything I can do to help drop me a line.

Al
Al's Decals

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
Hi Al! Good to see you!

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Hey Bjorn! It was good to see ya also.  Man that was fun!  I sure wish I could have shot the whole cource but boy it sure is nice up there.
Al's Decals

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Thanks, Al.  I have the Adobe Illustrator file for the decal.  I'll get in touch with Ambient and try to get some ordered.  If I can get things worked out with them, I'll go ahead buy a full sheet and donate the extras to anybody else wanting to refinish a Pearson Signature.  I know there's at least one out there from the PM I received.  Brian

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Brian, you don't have to go with them.  I just did a search under custom color transfers and came up with them.  I didn't spend alot of time checking because I know some people are looking for 59 Kodiak's.  You might find one closer to you on the web.  There doesn’t seem to be alot of them out there.  Al
Al's Decals

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 09:04:00 PM »
Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the decal replaced and tell you about a source for small quantity dry transfers.  The company specializes in transfer decals for RC Model builders and is apparently highly regarded among those folks.  They did a great job on the Signature logo at a very reasonable price.  I already had my artwork done and it only cost me $25 for a sheet of 4 decals.  The company's website is GetStencils.com - I communicated with Vikie and she was very helpful.

I have 3 transfers left.  I'm sending one off to another Tradganger which leaves two.  If you need one send me a PM with you address and I'll send one out to the first two that request them.  Brian

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
That looks perfect!

-Simon

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Brian
 I will take one, I am almost finished with a cougar I will cut the signature off, it will be better than nothing.
    Kurt

Offline Novaln1975

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:00 PM »
Kurt

If you send me a real good pic of the Cougar logo, I can retrace it with Illustrator and I could send you the file. You could then find a printer, maybe the one Brian used, and get closer to where you want to go.

-Simon

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks Simon
It might be fitting for it to be unmarked except for the BP logo, I trimmed 10#'s off the side of the limbs and thinned the grip, put tips on it, so its not really a Cougar anymore.
        Kurt

Offline bctgrad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Hey Kurt, PM me your address and I'll put one in the mail for you.

Both of my extra decals are gone now.  

If anyone needs the artwork let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Brian

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
Brian
PM ed you
    Kurt

Offline Al H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Nice job Brian and thanks for the info on where you got them done.  I will definitely drop them a line.  It looks like you and they did a one great job.  Al
Al's Decals

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©