INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Cheap Lefty Stuff......HAH!  (Read 798 times)

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
Cheap Lefty Stuff......HAH!
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:00 AM »
For those of you who think the left handers get off cheap when buying stuff on the great auction site....take a gander at this...

Tom I.

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cheap Lefty Stuff......HAH!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:46:00 AM »
It looks like there were two lefty's that wanted that one. What does a MSW 59 go for besides this one.
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Tom - Yes, this MSW went for a pretty stuff sum. But I believe it is in as nice of one in original condition as any I have seen. Just wrong handed for most bidders, or it may have gone for more, who knows...

You will have to ask the two top bidders what their logic was for bidding what they bid...

The last RH 1959 Maple Sight Window that I saw sell at auction went for a bit over 1,000. If I remember correctly, it has noticeable stress cracks and non-standard limb tips. It was not nearly as nice as the LH you mention, but was more appealing to more bidders because of the RH length.

Tom - Given the history of the recent LH 1959 Kodiak Maple Sight Window Kodiak sale, would you guess a LH 1959 Kodiak Bubinga Sight Window would sell for more, less or about the same ???
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
Yep, I'm the guy that bought the lefty MSW. My logic was that I had never seen one in that good of original condition and being lefty, may not ever see one that good again. By the price I paid, I wanted that one bad!

Offline JavelinaHink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
Joseph......let us know how she shoots when you getr home. Looks like a nice one.   :thumbsup:
A TRUE FRIEND ALWAYS THINKS YOU ARE A GOOD EGG EVEN IF YOU ARE SLIGHTLY CRACKED.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
azdriheat - You got what appears to be a great bow. When it arrives, hopefully you find it to be exactly what you expected. You will have to let us know. As you say, you may never see a LH that nice again. In auctions, the very best items nearly always sell for a premium. When you find something that you really want, it's usually best to just bite the bullet and get what you want so you are happy with it.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Wade wrote:
"Tom - Given the history of the recent LH 1959 Kodiak Maple Sight Window Kodiak sale, would you guess a LH 1959 Kodiak Bubinga Sight Window would sell for more, less or about the same ???"

Wade,
I have no idea regarding the rarity of the different sight window woods, so it would be just guessing.  The right handers I've watched lately all seem to go for $600.00 to $1200.00,
depending on condition.....haven't seen any that I could afford.
Tom I.

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 05:00:00 PM »
Wade- Your right about sometimes having to bite the bullet for something you really want because once its gone, its gone.

I can't believe the collection of beautiful bows you own. Are you planning on opening a museum soon? I would be happy to pay admission.
-Joe-

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
Wade - Other lefty collectors on this site may have different views and appetites but to me, the '59 MSW was the only version I would be willing to pay top dollar for as I did. Who knows what will happen tommorrow?

-Joe-

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Joe I got one that should be heading your way eather saturday or monday(correct color decals installed).I think you said this one was your warm up bow ??????? bowdoc

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 08:23:00 AM »
Here'a another example of a high priced lefty. I saw this yesterday just before it went off and thought about placing a bid with less than a minute to go....then decided against it because I have a nice SK.  At that time there was only 1 bid and the price was $150.00.  Check it out.

Tom I.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Joe - My basement is a 2,000 sq ft Antique Archery Archery Museum. Actually it looks more like an Antique Archery Junk Yard right now with all the extra stuff piled up and laying around that I should be selling rather they reading and posting on this site. Let me know in advance if you are near Nebraska, as other collectors are always welcome here. There is no admission fee, nor will there ever be one.

Tom I. - Haven't spent much time trying to figure out the new auction format and all the secret bidders' identities and such. Was there a 500 reserve on the bow? If so, the seller really set the base price and the two bidders elected to participate at an entry level.

Tom - You know by calling attention to these recent high left hand bow prices that guys like me with an extra left hand bow or two are thinking about selling them now....

I have a Left hand 1959 Kodiak 56", 46#, with a crack in I beam, that I was thinking of selling for about what that SK went for. Actually I gave over $1,500 for it about 8 years ago and got ripped off big time as I discovered the crack after the bow arrived and I closely inspected it and the seller would not own up to it. A little BowDoc TLC or U-DO-IT following BowDoc's Rest 101 and it would be nuts for the 50 year anniversary hunt.

Now after reading your posts, I'm thinking my original thoughts about it are a bit low...

It's probably the time to dig through the bone yard for those stray LH bows and get them in the classifieds...

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Have spray gun will travel reads the card of a man.Wire bowdoc Seattle

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Wade...no, there wasn't a reserve price at all...
which was one reason I thought about throwing a bid at it.  With less than a minute left it was still at $150.00.  There were only a total 2 bids. The first guy had thrown at least $500.00 at it. Lord only knows what the second bidder's highest amount was. It is a nice bow in good, but not excellent condition (my opinion)and if it had been right handed I suspect it would sold in the $275-$325 range.  
Tom I.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
Tom - I'm certain you explanation of the bidding is accurate. Frankly, I'm just not up on all the changes with the auction format. Given the history of recent sales, I'm sure you are correct about what the SK would have sold for had it been RH. That SK was not the most collectible SK around. You just never know what interests collectors to buy a bow.

I remember when I bought the last bow I needed to complete my collection of every length of every year and every riser style of every advertised Bear Kodiak... there was a thread about some moron who paid this huge sum for that bow... I hadn't frequented the site for a number of months, but one of my collector friends told me about the thread. I signed on and simply responded to the person that the bow was only the second bow of its length, color, and type that had surfaced within the collecting community, and was the last one I needed, and that I had waited years to have an opportunity to acquire one, and placed a more than serious bid on it because I was not sure I would live long enough to ever have another opportunity to acquire one.

I knew at the time that I paid more than I figured I could sell it for, but was willing to pay the premium to own it to complete the only collection of its type that had ever been assembled. I was not and never intend to be interested in selling the bow nor selling the collection. However, I had an offer to sell the bow for a profit, which I did not accept.

Actually a third example of the identical bow appeared within a year after I acquired the one I have. The person who acquired the third bow was not a serious collector, but rather a dealer. That bow was offered to more than one collector for 15 percent more than I paid...

Tom - I would not get discouraged about the current high LH prices. Many of these bows just sell in cycles for high prices. Guess there just happens to be several LH guys right now that were not bidding 5 or 10 years ago. For sure there are a lot fewer LH bows than RH bows. I remember many years ago considering switching to LH because at that time there were so many LH hunting weight Kodiaks selling for far less than RH bows. At one time I had quite a few LH bows, but have managed to sell or trade most of them. Come to think of it, I just bought a LH Kodiak a couple of months ago, so maybe I am going the wrong direction here...

Every collector has their own reasons for acquiring a bow. My reasons are for either shooing or collecting or an upgrade. Most of the bows and other vintage archery tackle that I have will be used for photographs in books, which is what I am doing roaming this site, trying to learn about other collectors' interests and concerns so I can produce more interesting books.  

As I have said many times, all collectors are crazy...

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
Bowdoc - I am looking forward to receiving the 100# Kodiak.  You are right, it is my warm up bow.  I do curls with it.  Wish I could draw it though.
-Joe-

Offline azdriheat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Wade - Thanks, I would love to see your collection one day.
-Joe-

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
Joe - Let me know when you will be in Nebraska...

All you LH Bear guys...

Just when I'm thinking about putting a LH 56" 1959 Kodiak up for sale, I see that one has already hit the auction block... 280326461125

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Yes it is sometime that is running aroud without any luck
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »
Another nice lefty, 1957 Kodiak Special 62", 47" 180340436088. Seller thinks it is a 1958... Great shooting, light little bow. Tough length to find.

Unusually light wood in the sight window. If it were right hand, I would be after it... Hope one of you LH guys gets it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©