INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: woods use in the 1959 Kodiak  (Read 470 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
woods use in the 1959 Kodiak
« on: March 24, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Hello guys, I am going to make a repro of the 1959 Kodiak but I would like to know the names of the riser woods they used for the making of the 59 only not the 59s.... also what woods they used for core wood...

thanks for the help,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: woods use in the 1959 Kodiak
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 04:16:00 PM »
Cody - Woods in 1959 Kodiaks that I have... these are production bows with serial numbers...

Riser, outside slabs Brazilian Rosewood

Riser, center of I-beam could be one of four different woods, Rosewood, Purple Heart, Maple, Bubinga

Limb Laminations, Maple

Doc can probably tell you what to get for that .075" thick dark wood that outlines the riser

For making your first bow, if wood cost is a concern, you may want to substitute a less expensive dark wood than Brazilian Rosewood for the slabs.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks Wade
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
purple heart was used on the trim around the riser and formed the fadeouts.Good luck we will be waiting to see your work.bowdoc

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
Cody,

Unfortunately, an embargo was placed on Brazillian Rosewood in the late 1960s, and since then it has not been imported into the United States. Because of this, the available Brazilian Rosewood has deteriorated to the point that the little available would have been scrapped for kindling 50 years ago.  If you do find some quality stuff, price will be really high.  Indian Rosewood or Bolivian Rosewood would make a great substitute.
Lon Scott

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Lon -

Good explanation of the high cost of Brazilian Rosewood. Not cheap when you find it. The last Brazilian Rosewood I bought was from Jack Howard several years ago. I made two mistakes, not buying it all when I had the chance, and not having Jack sign each piece that he sold to me... Live and learn...

Wenge is another wood that has been used by some for their 1959 Kodiak reproductions. From what I've seen in bows, it is usually a bit darker and usually has more of a pattern to the grain then swirled grain of some 59 Kodiak Brazilian Rosewood, but the 59 Repros I've seen with Wenge, look nice. Have no idea what the cost of Wenge is compared to the woods Lon mentioned.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:00 AM »
Yes, Wenge would be a good choice too, but it tends to be really, really dark (which I like).  I have a modern TD recurve with Wenge riser and it looks as dark as phenolic.

Black Widow had a good supply of quality Brazillian Rosewood which they used in their 50th anniversary bows in 2007. I believe they made about 300 of them and the ones I have seen are stunning. (too bad I did not buy one...   :banghead:  )
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©