INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Wing Hunter Quiver and Head Ski  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Wing Hunter Quiver and Head Ski
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:13:00 AM »
What kind of quiver went on the bolts of a Red Wing Hunter? What's that thing on the side looks like a metal slot with a thumblock?
also, what do you guys think of a Red Wing Hunter? I like Wing bows in general.

sam

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Hunter Quiver and Head Ski
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
There was a wing quiver with two brackets that fit the inserts on the front of the limbs. Had a plastic black hood and a round arrow holder. Also fit Browning bows with the inserts on the front of the limbs. They come up on that site from time to time and usually need the arrow holders replaced, Bob York makes the replacement holders.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 08:06:00 AM »
the thing with the slot and the thumblock sounds like a quicky quiver bracket to me.Wing are one of the better shooting recurve bows ever made.bowdoc

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
Thanks  I've seen these quivers advertised now and then. The side thing is the mount for a quickie quiver I found out. This is the same Wing that makes the Falcon, etc. right?
They are sweet bows.

Thanks
sam

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »
Same maker

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 05:41:00 PM »
Where can I find Bob York? Not a sponsor and not on google

Thanks
sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Are the pre head ski bows different from the Head ski bows? I heard that the pre Head bows are better??

sam

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 06:40:00 AM »
Yes I believe the pre head ski bows were better.They went from kind of a hands on to mass production after head took over.bowdoc

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
Always the story, right
Thanks
sam

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
The Wing Quiver held 6 arrows that snapped into grooves in the bottot part of the holder.  With age, these became brittle and subject t obreaking.  I got my replacement from 3Rivers Archery.

The bolt part are on a slide that move up and downthe bain bar, therefore can be adjusted for an exact fit to the holes i the bow.  To my knowledge, they work on the Wing and Browning bows the are tapped for a bow quiver.

THe original Wings madeby Bob Lee were superior quality bows in my opinion (some may argue),  THe later AMF and Head Ski Wings were, as said above, massed produced.  Not to say they were not decent shooters.  just less valued by collectors, and not as exotic riser material.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 05:08:00 PM »
I'll look for it. does 3 Rivers sell a quiver like this or do you have to get a used one?

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
I was just shooting my 58" RWH's side by side last night; one is an original early 60" "Wing" and the other a later AMF.  I agree, they both seem to shoot about the same; both are very smooth and quick for their day.  I like how the handle on the older RWH feels a lot better than the "blockier" bigger handle on the AMF.  The original RWH is a MUCH MUCH nicer looking bow; graceful lines, beautiful rosewood handle, slim limb tips; all with great attention to detail.  The AMF RWH, IMHO, is butt ugly; blocky and has some kind of wood with a baby s**t yellow cast to it.  Think I'm going to camo the AMF and put the old beauty on the wall.
Oh yeah, and either bow shoots just as well for me as their PSAV Widow stable-mate; maybe not quite as fast but every bit as smooth and stable.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 08:15:00 AM »
SAM

To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a quiver like that anymore.  You pretty much have to find a used one.  THe good nes is that if you do find one and the arrow grippers are cracked, you can get replacements for them.  I'm not sure about the foam in the hood though.  If the foam is bad, I guess you could dig it all out and them squirt in some kind of spray foam and let it settle and dry.  I did that with an old worn our Bear bow quiver and it work out OK.

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »
Did the hood have foam? I read somewhere that you could turn it over and drink from it. Or was that another bow quiver?

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
Sam, I'll PM you Bob York's email addy. Grant

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »
I have a couple of the original Wing quivers, if interested. Both have the replacement grippers.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Sam

You could be right.  I've never really paid a lot of attention to it. Just assumed it did.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I have two Wing quivers and a Delta and they are the same. Both good bow quivers.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Here's the Wing Quiver, there was a model that the hood unscrewed to be used as a cup. I think it may have been the early version but not sure.
 http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=67;t=002707#000000

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »
I got it. I need to shoot it and see how I like it. Hang on to those quivers. If I like the bow I'll get one from you. I also have an eye on a Bear Kodiak 1956.Same weight. the Bear's a little longer. Which will I like better? What do you think? I'll probably wind up with both.   :knothead:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©