INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear's Bow  (Read 4834 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear's Bow
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
Grant,

After 1948, I doubt that Fred used the Snake Skin Back Deerslayer for much besides showing it off, demos, etc. I know of no hunting photographs of him with a Deerslayer after 1948.

In 1949 he used the Static Grizzly.

During the 1950-1953 era he used the Static Kodiak and in 1953 he took the world record bow kill Elk in Wyoming with a static Kodiak, photographs prove that fact.

In 1954-56 he used double shelf Kodiaks to take several animals, photographs prove that fact.

In 1957 he used a single shelf 1957 Kodiak.

In 1958 he was still using the single shelf 1957 Kodiak.

From 1959 on you probably know what he was shooting.

Fred also took more than one bow with him on more than one trip.

Sam - Hey, I see static bow tips like that all the time. They are all over the place around here... Seriously, Grant's account is correct. Simply put working recurves limbs are more efficient than static recurves.

Hopefully some of our talented traditional bowyers will bring back some of the true classic bow designs like the Grumley Deerslayer and Bush Bow.
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
I get the idea of a "static recurve" Not bad. Now tell me, please, what is a double shelf bow? does that mean you could shoot rightie or leftie?

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 11:42:00 PM »
So one more to ponder. I understand that Wing Archery bows were better before Head Ski than after. Did the quality of Bear bows go down when Kidde bought the company and moved it to Florida? That had to be a real kick in the chops for all those Grayling people who worked for Fred for 30 years or so. But these were the really skilled workers.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
Sam - Yes, double shelf means RH and LH... will have to get you a photograph of another definiation of the double shelf, hopefully withing 24 hours.

Sam - You probably need to get Dick Lattimer's two books about Fred and read them, if you haven't already. Dick's books will tell you more than we can post here.

OK, now I will probably start an argument -

In which city where were the best Bear bows made?

1. Detroit
2. Grayling
3. Gainsville

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2009, 12:29:00 AM »
Not nice Wade. But fun. There's a pic of a 56 Kodiak for sale and it says rh/lh. I guess I get the double shelf idea now. Were these good designs? Or were the later Kodiaks which were strictly RH or LH a better bow?

sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2009, 12:30:00 AM »
I do want to read more on Bear. Lattimer was a friend and employee, right?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2009, 12:47:00 AM »
Yes, Lattimer worked for Fred and was a close friend. So close, that he was the friend who placed Fred's ashes in their final resting place.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
Now he had to know the story. Nice. I'll look for them. Are they in print or do you have to get an old copy?

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2009, 09:26:00 AM »
Sam,
Both of Latimer's books are still in print...
3 Rivers Archery carries both....you can probably find them on Amazon also...
Tom I.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Amazon's not a sponsor. I have to contact 3 rivers anyway for some new shafts and other odds and ends.

Thanks
Sam

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2009, 03:21:00 PM »
The one book that seems to have disappeared is Fred Bear's Archer's bible  Why is that?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
Sam, Mike Horton at the Nocking Point carries the books and is a sponsor here as well.  Might give him a shout.

Wade, I'll jump in with both feet first, The answer to your question IMO is Grayling >>> Birthplace  of the "still shootable classics"

I realize the Grumley's have a special place in history and are very "collectible"  but I'd have to give the label of "best bear bows" to the Grayling Bears.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Trap
Checked Nocking Point and 3 Rivers. Neither have Bear's "Archer's Bible". Was his own first book, I think. More about shooting and bow history than adventures.

sam

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 12:12:00 AM »
Sam, I thought you were looking for Dick Lattimer's books.  

The "Archer's Bible"  I think it's the 1968 edition pops up on e8ay from time to time and usually sells for around $20.00.  There may be a copy listed now.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2009, 12:55:00 AM »
Trap - my question was...

In which city were the best Bear bows made?

In your answer, of "Grayling", you specified it with... "Birthplace of the "still shootable classics""

Although you rephrased the question a bit with your answer, I doubt that any sane person would disagree with your answer.

Unquestionably, Grayling produced the most "still shootable classics"

Refresh my memory for Bears, do you own anything other than Grayling bows?

Now, you would not be influenced by the bows you own would you? Can't say that I could blame you for that, actually a very wise decision.

Sam - "Archer's Bible" is not the Adventure book of "Field Notes". Get Lattimer's books first.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2009, 01:49:00 AM »
Wade, Grayling Bears are all I have.  So, yes my experience is limitted.  I've shot some Gainesville Bears and have placed a 1972 Super Kodiak beside a 2008 Super Kodiak and the difference is like night and day.  The Gainsville Bears are not even close in quality of material or workmanship IMO.  

I suppose my rephrasing of the question reflects what is important to me when defining "best".  To me, If they arent shootable they arent best.  

I'm sure others feel that the pre Grayling bows are the best and I'm sure they have reasons which are as valid to them  as my reasons are to me.  Some may feel the Gainesville Bears and the ability to use fast flight on them makes them best.  Maybe they like the grey and tan color combo.  

I doubt there is a "correct" answer to your question, but IMO the best Bear bows were produced in Grayling.

Trap

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2009, 02:16:00 AM »
Trap
I was already looking for the Archer's bible and the Field notes. Thanks for pointing me to Lattimer's books too. I like to read

I now need to get a Bear Bow. Believe it or not, in all these years I have not owned a Bear Bow. Wings, Pearsons, Martins, a couple of custom bows, but no Bear. So I have to ge one of those too. Recommendations for the Bear Bow for someone who does not have one?

sam

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
Sam, thats a tough one to answer for everybody has their favorites from Kodiaks to Cubs. Look at as many models as you can, hold them,shoot them etc. you will know when the right one finds you.then the fun begins. good luck and enjoy the quest. I'm a Kodiak and a Kodiak T/D guy. I like S/K's too. (see what i mean.)

Joe

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
I guess the hard part is getting the bows to hold and shoot. Not a lot of trad shooters around here so I have to buy them and try them. That leaves a person with a lot of bows they don't use sometimes. Anyway, have my eye on a couple of 56 Kodiaks and just question that double shelf and how I will like shooting off that.

As a follow up on the Archer's bible, I found a copy used on Amazon for 10.95 last night. They are no longer in print so our sponsors do not carry them. Fields notes is in print and looks like Lattimer's book, Papa Bear is in print. I'll take em on one at a time. Good reading.

Thanks again guys for your help in my deep dive into this legendary guy called Fred Bear.

sam

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
The 55 and 56 Kodiaks are great bows and would serve you well Sam.  I've found the double shelves require you to pay a little more attention to arrow spine.  I guess they are cut a little farther from center than the single shelf bows.  

They are classic 50s recurves and will shoot with all the rest.  Very light in the hand, smooth to draw and very crisp.  I like them alot.

Not sure where you're at in Illinois, but if you're ever over in Central Missouri, look me up and I'll string up everyone I have for you.

Trap

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©