INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Robin Hood was a murderer  (Read 943 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Robin Hood was a murderer
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
As I remember the story, it starts off with a murder of a LEO - arguably self defense - when Robin is leaving the scene of the "Wager you cannot shoot yon deer." Robin is narrowly missed by the king's guard's arrow and turns and shoots the guard.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 09:20:00 AM »
One scene that always makes me laugh in the 1938 version is when Robin drops in for diner and brings his own deer... and tosses it on the table... minor detail that the story takes place in England and the deer is a North American mule deer
"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
They never improved on the 1938 version. I watch that a few times a year with the boys. Favorite scene for me is the tournament when he shoots the "Robin Hood" shot.  There are some great extra items with the DVD including an Howard Hill section Flynn's yacht. You can get the TV series on DVD now, and it's very cheap. Did Richard Greene actually shoot the bow or did he just look good in tights?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I agree that the 1938 version is great    :thumbsup:   , however, that Robin Hood TV series with Richard Greene was very inspiring for a young 10 year old boy growing up on a Tennessee farm.    ;)  

And yes, Walmart is selling the entire first season on DVD.    :D  

Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.
Feared by the bad, loved by the good.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Lon Scott

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Missing something without the music notes
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »
Jack,

I'd sing it to you, but there would be little difference, I would still be missing the notes!!!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Several years ago there were many items from the 1938 Robin Hood set that were sold at auction. The seller had a relative who was involved with the film. The items included some great candid photographs taken on set. I bid on many of the items and got a sound whipping on every one of them... I never look for Robin Hood stuff anymore, but it likely still turns up from time to time as there are some pretty serious Robin Hood Collectors out there...

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Lon Scott

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 11:37:00 PM »
Tom the Tinker? Now that's a good lookin bow.
Messing with the king's deer. You think they used Wildroot Creme Oil hair tonic??? You could put that stuff in your crankcase.

sam

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 11:56:00 PM »
Lon - Yes, that photograph says it all. Hill was the Master. That is why he was hired for the film. I have a nice original of that shot.

Question of the day for the 1938 fans...

In the film, what is the significance of the arrow Hill is shown with in Lon's photograph ???

Offline shamus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Did the common man really wear that style of pants/leg coverings in the 11th/12th centuries? If so, were they wool?
Yes. They were wool leggings with a horizontal weave that gave them a little bit of elasticity but not "tights" as we know them. And as was said earlier they attached by loops to the tunic.

Ideally, you wore linen breaches and an under-tunic of linen. Over that went the woolen tunic and then the leggings.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2009, 02:16:00 PM »
Now isn't that the black arrow which Robin only used to right injustice and abuse of the poor and defenseless? He generally tried not to kill, but if you were being a badboy, he's nail you with a black arrow. He told Sir Guy that he had one for him.

Reminds me of that great scene where he shows Maid Marian the defenseless people Robin was hiding in Sherwood. That was great. He'd be a guy on my short list of people to meet

Sam

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »
It's Black....and has a HH broadhead....
Tom I.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Sam - Yes.

Sir Guy asks why Robin uses a Black Arrow.

Robin tells Sir Guy ...its results are always final.

Tom I. - Not just a HH broadhead, but a 1930s HH broadhead, pre-mass-production, handmade HH broadhead.

Last HH broadhead I saw sell at auction was on a signed HH arrow and went for $2,635.85 Jun-10-08 10:21:01 PDT... No I did not buy it... (not a black arrow)

A real collector's item.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©