INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Can this bow shoot again???  (Read 442 times)

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
Can this bow shoot again???
« on: March 28, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
This is a Super K ser#7z212 i know it is a '67 or '67 1/2 all black phonlic, the crack goes all the way through the riser on top and bottom, i know i can reglue and refinish it for a wall hanger,BUT can it be made to shoot again??

Offline kenscollick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can this bow shoot again???
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
The Super K came out in 67 1/2 You will probably get all kinds of answers as to it's fixability but remember it's all fun until somebody looses an eye. clean it up and put it on the wall. It is a shame too I just sold my 67 1/2 for almost $700.00 on the auction site.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
loc tite 420 and about 4 clamps.bowdoc

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
ican do that bowdocI have some 420 and syringes if it breakes no one will get hurt but me, so it might be fun to try, i'am not a collector of anything, if i cant shoot it it usuly goes   Thanks much

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
I can tell you it hurts (both physically and emotionally) when they blow up. Mine showed no issues at all before letting go at full draw. It resides in pieces in a corner of the basement now. Someday I'll glue it all back and hang it up. It just makes me sick to look at it. CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
A new bow can blow just like an old bow......I say fix it and shoot it, the repair is in a very favorable area.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
SS I've repaired more then 250 Super Kodiaks and its always open for debate as to what will happen after the fact.However if repaired with modern glues like super glues or CA if you will.That bow will be stronger and better then it was originally.The new type glues are over 10 fold stronger then the glues used in 1967.
And besides I've been wacked over the head more times then anyone in the bow repair business.It only hurts for a little while and is actually funny afterwards.It really is a kind of head rush when at full draw you hear glass breaking.Go for it.Thats one of the best shooting and fastest of all the Super Kodiaks.If you have no interest in the bow you may offer it up as is in trade for something ??????????? bowdoc

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2009, 07:01:00 AM »
whats the draw weight on that one ?? thanks bd

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
bd, i'am not in the bow repair business and have be whacked over the head a lot of tines in my bow shooting days.
   in the late '60 getting ready for a bear hunt. got my faveroit bow from the basement(bad) getting ready for some practic, at full draw, i was left holding the riser and trying to figure where the rest of the bow was, i droped the riser and went in the house to clean up a little blood, my wife was watching out the window, her words was " i saw that" nothing more.
   So down to the basement ( bad ) to get my second best bow, arrow #4 at full draw bottom limb whacked me where it hurts the most, after crawling to the house my wife  said" i saw that, how meany more you got?"says I plenty but not today.  By the way i made the bear hunt with a solid bow and got a nice bear
     Don't leave your bows in a damp basement  :knothead:    :knothead:    :knothead:

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
I thought bows were better off in a damp area...Then where is the best place to keep them?  :confused:  

I apparently have some bows to move now...  :eek:    :scared:    :knothead:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2009, 02:09:00 PM »
Well, i don,t know where you should keep them.
    But in my 50 or so years of shooting bows the only ones that has broken was stored in a damp basement.
    Now they are stored in a small room in the house or in the shop where i build and work on archery equipement    Good Luck  :scared:

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
I try and keep the temp in my shop at least 50 plus degrees all the time.Its pretty dry in there too.
SS you looking to dump the Super ? maybe a trade-ish type thing ? bowdoc

Offline shaft slinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »
I thank i will hold on for a while and see what i can do, if it don't work out, i will let you know later when it warns up enought to try,    Thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©