INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Fred Bear's Last Visit to a Friend Since 1940  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
Fred Bear's Last Visit to a Friend Since 1940
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:17:00 AM »
Trivia questions on the first day after April Fool's Day...

Besides Fred Bear, who can you identify in this photograph???

What artifacts in this photograph are significant?

"Real Sportsmanship is Fair Play" - Art Young

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." - Will Rogers

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear's Last Visit to a Friend Since 1940
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
floyed eccleston is the one to the left of fred is he not wade ??.. The other I have not seen before
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 12:22:00 AM »
Cody - Correct. That did not take you long...

Floyd Eccleston is at the far left of the photograph. Floyd and Fred were friends since they met in 1940. Floyd claimed to be Fred's oldest dealer in Michigan.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 12:27:00 AM »
Wade I am thinkin if I know the other two in the pic are they also from Michigan ?

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 12:32:00 AM »
They are all deceased. That is my only clue.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 12:34:00 AM »
Wade are some of them significant artifacts the pics on the back wall over by the black bear rug as maybe u own them now ? I realy cant see from the pic....

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 12:37:00 AM »

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 01:20:00 AM »
I'll play, a few of the artifacts would be Fred's Bowlo tie, and how about that 59 Kodiak and the arrow hanging above the Black Bear.  Fred's first Bear and the weaponry used maybe?  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Stickbow98

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
I believe that's long-time friend and hunting partner Bob Munger on Fred's far left. I'm guessing that would be Mrs. Eccleston sitting between them, as I don't recall ever reading of or seeing Mrs. Munger traveling with them.

>>--Ron--<>
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 05:31:00 AM »
Ron....I agree, I think that's Bob Munger.  Don't
know about the lady....
I have no idea about the artifacts.....
Tom I.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 06:01:00 AM »
Wow Wade, I haven't been there in many years, but that looks like the Chippewa Archery Shop, Mr. Eccleston's museum in Mount Pleasant.  Do I get trivia points for location?   :D

And here's a bit of trivia from that photograph that may even qualify for 'significant artifacts': As I recall, all those clocks on the wall are Floyd's trademark Sh---y Clocks.

He would collect deer droppings for the clock face numbers, so yes, all the number markings on those clock faces are genuine recycled Michigan vegetation!

And thanks for the pic Wade, you may have the big guy's bow, but you just jarred my memory that I used to sit in Fred's chair in Floyd's shop! (until I can own an actual Fred Bear arrow or bow or something, that may be my closest connection - I gotta do better than that!)

Is that Floyd's bear from the photo in JavelinHink's display? My memory is really bad!  I do think though, that right through that doorway was Floyd's arrowmaking room, wow what a place. And to the left, the dark room behind glass was the range and Floyd's tremendous broadhead collection.

I spent a few weeks off and on with Mr. and Mrs. E photographing for a full page photostory in The Saginaw News.  I keep meaning to dig up that news clip and post it on here for you guys.  Thanks for the post Wade, I'll move that up my priority list.

Bernie

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 07:29:00 AM »
Trap - Yes, Fred's Bowlo Tie, is a very significant artifact in the photograph. Yes, the 1959 Kodiak above the black bear was Floyd's favorite personal bow. It is the 56" with the compass in the grip that you have seen in photographs posted on this forum.

Ron & Tom - I'm proud of you guys for recognizing Bob Munger. Many of those who know about Fred can't pick out Bob Munger.  

Ron - Yes that is Joney Eccleston sitting between Fred and Bob. She was a real sweetheart and knew more about a lot of the old archery tackle than many of us probably every can hope to learn in our lifetimes. Joney was known as the First Lady of Collectors

Bernie - You have been there, done that, seen it, and have the T-Shirt. You get 100 extra trivia points for your post.

Yes this photograph was taken in the famous Chippewa Archery Shop, home of the Great Lakes Archery Museum in Mount Pleasant, Michigan.

Yes the clocks on the wall are Floyd's trademark Sh---y Clocks. His inscription on back of mine says “Deer Me, Time Keeps Dropping By” signed “Floyd Eccleston”. The numbers are deer droppings that he picked up. Never thought of it before but you’re correct, Floyd was also one of the early practitioners of recycling in Michigan!

Fred's Chair in Floyd's shop! Wasn’t sure anyone would pick out Fred’s Chair. Those who sat in it, know the feeling you describe, and will never forget it.

Your memory of the layout of the shop is perfect.

I’m certain everyone would love to see your full page photostory from The Saginaw News. Hopefully it gets moved up high enough on your priority list for us to enjoy soon. Thanks so much for your post Bernie.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 07:56:00 AM »
Boy does that picture bring back old memories.If memory serves me in the cabinet at the very front of the picture were 50 or 60 archery movies.On a good day Floyd would sit & talk all day long.& If he got a customer he would offer his movies as intertainment.After Floyd passed Rich let me take a bunch of those movies home & tape them.I regret not knowing about Freds chair.How long has the chair been there.His wife was a sweetheart.I miss them both....

Offline Wade Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2009, 08:20:00 AM »
Rick - I'm sorry to report that I don't know the year that Fred's Chair arrived at the Chippewa Archery Shop. It certainlly had to be long before Fred passed away in 1988. I will have to investigate the origin of Fred's Chair.

Yes, Floyd had quite a library of movies. With the thousands of items in the display area, it was impossible to see or remember everything. From 1982 to 2008 I made over a dozen trips up there and I'm certain I spent a total of over 30 days at the shop, and everyday that I was there I discovered something I'd never seen before.

The memories are great!

Offline Bob Dunn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
Cool stuff guys. This is why I hang out here instead of the pow-wow. Everyday is a learning experiance.

Offline seboomook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2009, 09:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bob Dunn:
Cool stuff guys. This is why I hang out here instead of the pow-wow. Everyday is a learning experiance.
Couldn't agree more, it's amazing the memories,and history that come from one photograph. Thanks for sharing

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
My daughter went to school at Central Mi.& while visiting her my wife & daughter would go shopping & I would hit Floyds place.I'll never forget one day I was visiting him & he walked out with a jar with old arrow knocks very colorful.He said isn't this beautiful.He got a plastic bag & poured a bunch

inside & told me to get a jar a display it.Well the jar had an archer displayed on it & I had to find a jar like it to display mine in .It took 2 years & finally found one at an antique shop.Here is a pic.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2009, 09:42:00 AM »
Floyd also he gave me the arrow thats in the pictures.It is a replica of an arrow of significant historical importance.But I did not document it.Wade do you recognize this arrow.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
I was fortunate to get one of Floyd's old deer poop clocks with a bunch of old archery stuff from a guy in northerwestern Michigan.He used to own an archery shop and knew Floyd.He got the clock in a trade for some broadheads back in the day.Ol' Floyd was just like one of us today,wheelin' and dealin'.Here's my clock,It is one of my favorite archery collectibles.

Here's the back.Sorry for the flash white-out.

Offline Rick Enos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
I wonder who took the picture of Floyd - Fred & Munger./& Mrs. Eccleston.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©