INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 68 Griz - I need arrow help  (Read 744 times)

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
68 Griz - I need arrow help
« on: April 09, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
I need a little help in the purchase of arrows.  I went to the 3Rivers website and read their chart for arrow selection.  If I'm reading it right I enter the chart with my bow's peak weight.  Well the bow is 44# at 28" and my draw is 28" so is the peak weight 44#?  Would I enter the chart at the 40 - 45# level.

3rivers arrow shaft selection guide  

Next is the arrow length question.  My draw is just over 28", now how does that translate to arrow length?  I saw that a minimum of 1" should be added for broadhead clearance.  Should I buy arrows at 29", 30" or some other length?

I was looking at the wood fletched arrows.  I certainly don't have a preference for any type.  Will those suffice for target practice and match up nicely with my 68 Griz?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 68 Griz - I need arrow help
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »
Jon,
Your Grizzly's arrow shelf and sight window are cut so that the bow is what's called "center shot".  Generally, center shot bows perform better with arrows slightly stiffer than the bow's poundage would indicate. Therefore, i'd opt for arrows spined at 45-50 lbs. Your length should be 29".
Tom I.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
You'll find that Grizzly is very tolerant of spine ranges.  I have a 44# Grizzly and I draw 27.5-28" and it shoots arrows 45-50, 50-55, and 55-60 spines fine.  I'd go with 45-50 with 125 gr heads.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
I have the same experience as Reddogge, my 46# Griz is very tolerant of spline and poor form, makes mine look ok
           Kurt

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
I talked with Junior at 3 rivers and he suggested 60-65 spine for my 28 1/3" draw.  I suppose I can buy some, try them out and go from there.

Thanks for the input guys.  It's invaluable.

Jon

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
hmmmm 60-65???  I'd personally start at the lower end like Richard suggested  45-50 or 50-55.

I think the 60-65s will be too stiff, and cause you to go up in point weight.

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
Next suggestion before plunking down money for a dozen arrows would be to buy the arrow spine test kit and a point test kit from 3 Rivers first.  That way you can settle it in your mind and they will come in handy for the next bow purchase (and there will be one, I guarantee).
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I actually bought the Carbon 500 arrows.  Looking back at it, I probably should have gotten the test kit.

Anyway, I have a problem.  I used a dynamic spine calculator and it looks as though the 100 grain field points I was sold are too light.  If my data entry was correct I should be using at least 145 grain field points.  Does this sound about right for my bow?

44# @ 28"  draw 28 1/3"  beaman carbon 500 arrows 29.5" BOP

I went to the range the other day and everything was going to the right and a little high.  I probably shot around 50 times and it was fairly consistent.  Would the 145 grain field points make the trajectory improve?

Thanks,

Jon

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Hello Jon,
Carbon 500's at 29.5 BOP are certainly a bit stiff for your Griz.  If you are a lefty then that may account for the right side grouping.  Try upping your point weight to 160 or even 180 grains and see if thing directionaly improve.  When you think you are in the ballpark then check your results by paper tuning or bare shafting.  Good luck to you!
-Stu

Offline richbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 07:34:00 AM »
jon,i'd go with according to eastons chart and my experience with them i'd go with either a 2114,2018 or 2212. as far as length i go 1'' longer. i have a 40# black widow that shoots all 3 very well,it even shoots a 2117 pretty good,remember also when tuning a heavier arrow will quiet the bow down,but may take away from speed. rich in pa.
Richard Battistoni

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
Stu,

Thanks for the info.  I bought some 125 grain field points locally and tried those.  It was in improvement.  A field point test kit will be delivered within the next few days.  I think you're right about the heavier weight up front.  I don't know why 3rivers sent me down this road...  They have the same information available to them as I do.

Jon

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Richard,

I'll check out the easton chart and try to educate myself.  I know nothing about what you're talking about.

I may end up trying some of those you mentioned if I can't get the carbon 500's tuned to my liking.

Thanks,

Jon

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Yikes!
I am so headed the other direction!
Tom I had it right. You are pulling about 45 pounds, and your arrows should be spined somewhere between 45-50 pounds.

I am assuming you are using a Dacron string on your vintage bow. Your bow was not made for fast flight. It wasn't around back then.

In an aluminum arrow, I would recommend an 1816 or a 1916. In carbons, I dunno, I have limited contact with them. Just ordered my first set today.

If you are right-handed, a stiff arrow will fly left, a weak arrow will fly right. If the spine is egregiously wrong, you may get a false reading.

The Easton charts are way too stiff for trad bows. Bow tuning advice can be found at O.L. Adcock's site and at Arrows by Kelly. Or wait, more folks will be chiming in come morning.

Killdeer~an old far+
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline 8KCAB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »
Killdeer,

I went to the O.L. Adcock site.  It was very imformative, thank you.  I tried the Arrows by Kelly site, but I don't think it's functional any longer.

I am using Dacron string.

As far as the carbon arrows I think I have to increase the point weight for my particular set up.  I went a shoot yesterday and a fellow had a very similar bow and was shooting a longer arrow with carbon 600's as opposed to my shorter carbon 500's.

I probably should of started with the 600's for the carbon arrows, but I'll try to make do with what I have.

Jon

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 12:28:00 PM »
Well said Killie well said.bowdoc

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©