INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Super Kodiak Question?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
Super Kodiak Question?
« on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
Hey guys,

Got a question about a 1970 Super Kodiak.  Just got it a while back.  I've decided to replace the original side plate and rest.  When I removed the side plate there is a 2 digit number underneath it!  ;~0

I've never seen that before and wondered if anyone knows what it is.  It's in the same gold paint as the poundage/AMO/Serial Number info.  

But, it does NOT look like it's in the same hand writing as the build info.  Very curious?

Any info would be appreciated.
chiger,

I generally eat whatever I can get catched up!

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Super Kodiak Question?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
got a pic you could load...bd

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
Nope, sorry Doc.  

Don't have one right now.  Maybe I can get one up later.  Kind of busy.  As a matter of fact, I should be working right now!  ;~0

It is just a 2 digit number under the side plate in the same gold ink as the make info.  Just thought maybe some of the Bear collectors around here might have seen it before.  

Since you didn't tell me what it is straight away...I don't feel so bad about having never seen it before.  ;~)

I don't know if it helps, but it is an unusual SK.  It's a 64" SK.  Only made the bow for 3 years, so there probably aren't that many of um.  It may be something related to that?
chiger,

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
Under the strike plate there would be two numbers that was the actual scale weight of the bow.Some were marked like maybe 50# lets say.But under the plate may read 49# 50# 51# something along those line ??? bd

Offline wadde

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:28:00 PM »
Doc is correct, a bow may be marked 50# on the outside but often under the strikeplate will be the actual draw weight of the bow which may differ slightly from the markings on the bow. This is common on all of the bows from years ago.

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Is it close to the draw weight maked on the side?  Some bows have the actual draw weight stamped in the riser under the plate.
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 01:11:00 AM »
Thanks guys!

I kind of thought that's what it was.  I didn't say what the number or advertised poundage of the bow was for that exact reason.  Didn't want lead anyone into making assumptions just because both of them were the number, 50.

Gotta say though, I'm glad that number wasn't bigger than the advertised 50#s.  Especially since that's at 28" and I have a 32 1/2" draw.  I'm having enough trouble getting in shape to shoot it as is at my age!  ;~0

But I love the bow.  Smooth, quiet and quick!  Arrows make a most satisfying pop when they hit my bag target!  ;~)

Thanks again guys.
chiger,

Offline Forest Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 05:37:00 PM »
Don't forget, we want to see apicture of the bow  :)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 06:24:00 AM »
hey Chig GY has the same year 1970 and his is 69# scale weight at 28".He draws just over 29" so maybe 72#.That bow is super fast for a 40 year old model heck its super fast compared to todays models.They are great shooters..bd

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Hey Forest!  Glad to hear from Kentucky folk.  Looks like there are a lot more bluegrassers on here than I thought.  Cool!

Ok, here's a pic.  But it ain't very good.  Took it right after I got it.  I'm in the process of cleaning it up and making a few tweaks.  I'll take some better shots when it's done to show it off.

Yep Doc.  It's quicker than my old 50# compound by a bunch and even a little quicker than my other old 65# compound.  Of course, both of them are from back in the early 70's anyway.  Did I mention that I'm a don't fix it if it ain't broke kind of guy.  Bought um both back then and never stopped shoot them or upgraded.  

Gotta say, I'd hate to try and pull that 69# dude back to 32 1/2" at my age.  Might break something I need.  Or worse, something I don't have spares of!  ;~0

Actually shot my first bow deer with a friend's 90# back in 73.  But I went to wheelies shortly after that.  Just now getting back to my roots.  I was actually looking for something that would end up at 50#s at my draw length when a friend found this one.  Tried it and decided I like it enough to work at being able to shoot it.  62 or 65#s...whatever it is, kicks my butt after 50-60 shots.  

It's true what they say, "Don't heal like I use to!"  Takes me 2 days to get over shooting it!  ;~)

64", 50#@28" Round Bear Super Kodiak.

chiger,

Online TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
71 I think.  Is the coin flush or is it a raised button ?  

Looks great  :thumbsup:  

The black limbs look striking on those early 70s SKs.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:03:00 AM »
Thanks Trap,

It's a flush round bear, Trap.  Didn't even know Bear did it any other way?  I'm pretty sure it's a 70 if that's what you mean by 71 though.  

Bear claims they only made the 64 inch SK for 3 years.  1967 to 1970.  And I think 1970 was the first year of the round bear medallion.  So that kind of narrows it down to 1970.

I personally think it's a shame they don't still make it in a 64".  The draw length was listed as unlimited in the 1970 catalog.  Great for guys with long draws.  The thing is very smooth even at my 32 1/2" draw.  I've actually drawn it nearly an inch past that and it still didn't stack.  

Very cool and very different than shorter bows with big wedges that lay the limbs back for long draw!  I like shorter bows and I'm gonna have or build a custom that's around 58-60" in my draw sometime.  But for now, I really enjoy shooting this one.  

And I agree, I even like the black glass on um.
chiger,

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
goodlooking ks

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
is the upper silk screen on the back of the bow(1972) or on the shooter side ? 1970-1971.1971 did not come from the factory with a stabilizer bushing standard.It could have been orderd ? good looking Super..bd

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:23:00 PM »
Thanks mw, the older Bears and bows of that era are what I think of when I think of what a traditional recurve bow should look like.  They're what I grew up with.

The Glass Powered logo on the upper is on the dangerous side Doc.  The Grayling and patten info is on the shooter side of the lower limb.  And it has a stabilizer bushing and quiver bushings.  

I contacted Bear trying to find out brace height.   They didn't have brace heights, but they sent me a copy of page 14 from the original 1970 catalog. I used the listed strung tip to tip clearance of 61" to get the brace.  Which is what they suggested.  

The page list a stabilizer w/quick connect as optional equipment for 1970.  So they probably all had the bushings.  According to very helpful support folks at Bear, they didn't even make the 64" SK after 1970.  They said just 67 to 70 for the 64" AMO.  So I don't know?  And the round bear coin didn't start till 70, so that's what cinched it as a 70 for me.

Here's page 14 from Bear's 1970 catalog.

chiger,

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:00 PM »
Hey, sorry guys!  

Gotta correct something.  I've kept saying the round bear was the reason I thought it was a 70 model.  Wrong!  I suspect you guys know the brass round bears were use in the 60's and early 70's.

It just dawned on me reading another post.  It's because of the K in the serial number.  That started in 70 and combined with the 67-70 64" production dates is how I dated it.  Dough!!! Why didn't one of you guys straighten me out?!

Oh well, what they say really is true.  The memory is the first thing to go.  ;~)

Sorry again guys.  Next time...somebody please straighten me out before I go too far off the rails.
chiger,

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:00 AM »
I think it's a very late 1970-early 1971 Super Kodiak..bd

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
Good looking bow Chigar. The '70 BD told you about is a pretty solid shooter and one of my favorites. I have a '69 that's under weight; it's rated 65# @28 but is only about 66# at my draw but it's a real solid shooter as well. I've hunted almost exclusively with my old takedowns for thirty years or better but the Super Ks on my wall actually out perform them just a smidgeon and are much lighter to carry. I find myself using one of them more often when I hunt close to home. Nice bow-congratulations.  Grant

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 08:55:00 AM »
BTW- where are you in Western Kentucky?   GY

Offline chiger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 05:39:00 PM »
Hey Doc,

The folks at Bear told me they didn't make the 64" AMO version after 1970.  Just 67-70 and I found that same information on a collectors site.  Apparently the 64" weren't very popular.  As a matter of fact, I can't find a single record of a 64" ever being sold on fleaBay.  Now that's saying something.  ;~)  

Did they offer it as a special order or something after 70?  How can I tell if it was?  I'd be interested to know how to read the serial number, besides the K Y part that is.  If anyone knows.

Hey Grant,

Thanks!  Your absolutely right about the weight.  That's one of the things that I liked best about it from the start.  Nimble to handle.  And the performance part too.  

The first time I shot it I was shooting it side by side with a friend who had a 63# Black Widow.  It ticked him off.  That 40 year old Bear was as quick or maybe quicker than his new Widow.  Kind of noticed he looked aggravated when we were shooting.  A few days later he called and he admitted he had noticed it and kind of made him mad.  So yep, they do perform as well as modern counterparts.  

It's a lot better bow than I am a shot at this point!  My nocks are in now danger beyond 10 yards if you know what I mean?  ;~)

I live a couple miles from lakes on the Barkley lake side of LBL.  Down toward the Lodge if you know the area.

I've got a question.  What do you have your brace set at on that 69 SK?  What's the strung length and what's your draw length.  Well, I guess that's actually 3 questions, but I'd be curious to know.  As I said, it's been many years since I shot traditional bows.
chiger,

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©