INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: question about those "other" bear takedowns.  (Read 699 times)

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
question about those "other" bear takedowns.
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:54:00 AM »
I picked up one of the take downs with the slide in/out fiberglass limbs and mag riser to make into a bowfishing rig. similar to the minuteman.
this bow has now markings other than bear coin and bear on the limb tips.

So my question is what models and years were these Other style takedown systems used?

Also It is missing the grip is it the same grip as the other Magnesium risers? If so where can i get one?

I will post pics in a little while.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: question about those "other" bear takedowns.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
That would be the mighty 76er by Bear looks like a MM but no corewood showing.The model states the year 1976.Yes the grip is the same as the mag handle.I don't got a spare grip but you may check gbay as I've seen plenty on there.Yours should have a blue,red or white grip..there cheaper then the black ones.....bd

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:03:00 AM »
Thanks doc. are these the only two models that used this type of takedown system?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
Yes it is.Here's a little tip that was the down fall of the mighty 76er's.Note on them if you do not push the limbs all the way down to the bottom of the socket ???? they will kind of stop at the first catch ? if that happens you can still string the bow no problem.But when you draw the bow the limbs will bend enough to allow one limb to come out of the socket and breaks the latch off if the limb is not bottomed.Just make sure and push the limbs all the way down in the sockets.Great bows for fishing and or hunting for that matter.My father killed a couple deer with his back around 76-79..bd

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:21:00 AM »
Hey Doc, there is some paint chips If I was to refinish the riser what would you recommend in terms of kind of paint and removal and replacement of coin/button.

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
I made the same mistake that BD talked about, didn't fully seat the top limb and wound up snapping the piece of metal that goes across off.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »
Oh, BTW, they came out before 76, just not sure how much earlier. Someone here will know I'm sure.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
yes they were around I belive in 1973.The red white and blue model was the bicentenial model 1976...bd

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »
I believe  the grip was additional on all but the Minuteman, most will not have them.
Actually the early Alaskan and other wheel bows used basically the B riser with modifications and the grips off of them will work too.
With luck you can find one on a yard sale for $10.00
(Always wondered about the broken sockets,, Now I know)
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Tom I.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »
There was another thread a couple months ago on the '76'rs and Minuteman bows.  Here's what I found and posted then...
"From a marketing standpoint, the Minuteman and '76'ers were price point bows....entry level takedowns. 76'ers were introduced in the '73 catalog and Minuteman's in the '74 catalog. Both bows were initially offered with two length's of riser...simply referred to as long and short.
The Minuteman's main distinction was it's fiberglass and maple laminated limbs whereas the 76'ers had solid fiberglass limbs. I have a left-hand Minuteman...the only one I've ever seen, but both bows were offered in left and right hand. The 76'er was a popular bow for bowfishing as they were practically bullet proof. There wasn't much one could do to harm it. The cast magnesium risers accepted the same plastic grips as did the more expensive mag handled takedown.
By the '77 catalog the bows were still offered but the names changed to Bearcat Takedown, 76'er Takedown Hunter, and the long risered Minuteman became the Victor Tigercat. The '78 catalog shows a Bearcat Takedown Hunter, Bearcat Takedown and Bear Target Takedown. Can't tell you when they were discontinued."
Tom I.

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
thanks guys

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©