INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: My newest BearI'm so happy!!!  (Read 1066 times)

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
My newest BearI'm so happy!!!
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Here is my latest Bear bow to add to my "Bears den".It's a 1970 Super Kodiak,60",58#.I got it from fellow tradganger Steve Smith.One of the very first Bear bows I ever got when I started collecting was a 1970 Super K.It was 55# which was perfect but it was so full of filled holes I couldn't stand looking at it so I got rid of it many moons ago.I have always wanted to get another 1970 Super K and have watched many come and go.I had collected all the Kodiaks and Super Kodiaks from 1950-1969 but never really had a nice 1970.
 Anyhow,this one popped up in the classified section so I jumped on it.Steve said it wasn't perfect but it was a shooter.No holes,twists,etc...but it was 60" and a perfect 58#!!When I opened up the box I was thrilled.It was exactly what Steve said it was.The only thing that I immediately changed was the worn out rug rest and small leather side plate.My collector mentality forced me to install a N.O.S. white Bear-hair rest and a calfskin strike plate just like the original 1970 Super K would wear.It looks fantastic.I just had to take it outside for some pictures to share with my fellow tradgangers.Haven't shot it yet but I will.Probably not the fastest Bear bow to come out of Grayling but one of my favorites.It's got the white fiberglass overlays on the tips and riser and a real nice small grip.I think my 1960 Kodiak re-finished by Rich and old "Nellie" the bush bow are a bit jealous.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My newest BearI'm so happy!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:00 PM »
Congrats!! Very nice pics. Really like to colors on that bow. It is always nice when the postman pulls a big long box out of the truck!! Enjoy shooting.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
jcar-I agree,I really like the colors on the 1970 Super K too.It looks like it belongs in the fall woods.I wasn't home when the postman came but when I walked in the door from work last night I saw the box leaning against the wall so I knew it had arrived.Thanks.Can't wait to shoot it.

Offline Forest Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
Beautiful bow, Congrats. Is that green glass?

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
Thanks.No,the sun just makes it look green in the picture.The glass is actually black on both sides.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:28:00 PM »
Nice rig John. I have one myself and its a favorite. The colors on these bows that were mentioned earlier are more the result of the aging finish than they are by design. I'm like you in that I kinda like that golden patina. Because of my habit of reshaping my handles, I had Bow Doc refinish mine (he did some other secret stuff too) and found that under the old finish the bow was more charcoal gray. I like it too. Congratulations on your latest acquisition. Talk to you soon,                Grant

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks Grant.I do like that golden brown patina on this bow too.I thought of having the shelf re-worked by bowdoc like you had mentioned you did on your bow.I bet it would be a sweet shooter.
 By the way,watch for a package,it went in the mail on Tuesday I believe.hope it works!!!

Offline PAPALAPIN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
KQQL Johnny

Was that Bearbowman-Steve Smith...West Virginia?
JACK MILLET-TBG,TGMM Family of the Bow

"Don't worry about tomorrow.  If the sun doesn't come up in the morning, we will play in the dark" - ME

The most important part of your hunting setup is the broadhead.  The rest is just the delivery system.

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
Jack,yes it was the very same Steve Smith of W. Virginia.

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 03:58:00 PM »
Hey Congrats John!!Beautiful Super-K...
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline yellow bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 05:03:00 PM »
What a beauty! congrats.  :thumbsup:

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »
John, did you ever come up with that "very special" collectible you hinted to me about several months ago?  

Still Waiting!!!

Nice Super BTW  :thumbsup:  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »
I'll keep an eye out John. Thanks. Here is the color of the futurewood under the 40 year old finish.

Offline CrookedStick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
Great looking bow John! Way to complete that collection.

PM me sometime so we can get out and bend the limbs on that one and my '70 A-riser. We can have a 1970 stump shooting day.

Bernie

Offline FBB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »
John,

Great looking SK, I picked one up this winter, 55lbs suprise, and didn't shoot it until this past weekend. I headed out with the "59" Kodiak, that I got from you the "60" Kodiak I got from Rich and the "70" Super Kodiak. There's something special about shooting the 59 plus  I do like how it shoots, but the SK may be my favorite. Oh I almost forgot that "57" Kodiak that you had really does fling an arrow too, but that SK is a blast, not as fast as the other three older Kodiaks but fun to shoot. Dave

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2009, 01:56:00 AM »
Papa Frank & yellow bow- Thanks very much.It is a beauty.
  Trap-No I did not get that other "collectible".It was too rich for my blood.At least for now.
  Grant-Thanks for your advice on the brace height on this one.At 8" it was making alot of noise when I shot.I will try your suggestion of
8 1/4"-8 1'2".Wow,you really did cut that shelf down on yours.Nice bow!!
  Bernie-I would love to fling a few arrows with you.Where are you located in Michigan?
  Dave-All nice bows you're shooting there.Hard to decide which is your favorite isn't it?That's the thing about these vintage Bear bows,they're all so unique and have their own characteristics that make them special for one reason or another.I didn't think my Super K was as fast as some of my other Kodiaks either but it is a classic Bear bow for sure.And how do you top a '59 Kodiak like yours?Pretty tall order.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »
Congratulations for your SK Johnny,sure you'll love it.Felix
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Thanks Felix.I'm sure I will love it too.Hope you find that elusive left-hand riser you're looking for.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
There are other 2 guys looking for it now,the battle will be hard.Johnny,so is the best brace around 8&1/4 for your Kmag?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline johnnyrazorhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
The bow is a Super K not a magnum.I raised the brace height up to 8 1/2 but I haven't shot it yet since changing it.I'll experiment a bit with it around that height and see what works best.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©