INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Arrow spine and weight for a '56 Kodiak.  (Read 496 times)

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow spine and weight for a '56 Kodiak.
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:11:00 AM »
Would like to make some new wood arrows for my new old 56 Bear Kodiak. 54# @28 and I draw 27". I'm shooting 55-60 woodies now. They are the quietest and most stable. However since there's such a small shelf, the arrows tend to the left. If I go lighter weight, the bows gets very noisy. So the question is: Can I have more weight and less spine? Given a weight requirement of 55-60, can I get lighter spines in this weight? I'm open to suggestions of carbon, alum or wood. Previous owner, Steve, recommends 2016 alum btw.
Thanks
sam    :confused:    :confused:

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow spine and weight for a '56 Kodiak.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 09:00:00 AM »
Sam, I am by no means an arrow expert. Any thoughts on a tapered wood shaft? With arrows there are so many variables as a shooter you can tinker with lots of things. Let us know what you come up with. John
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
Yes, you can have heavy arrows that have a weaker spine.  If you talk to any good person in the shaft business they should be able to hook you up.

The other alternative is to put a heavier point on the arrows you have now to reduce the dynamic spine of the arrow.  That's the simplest (and cheapest) option.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I was thinking 2 things: the heavier points and also leaving them longer than normal. I would like to get an arrow that has a weaker spine, however so I can really match it up right. Any ideas where to try to get shafts like this?

I'll keep you up with what I find

sam

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
so I can really match it up right.
As long as you get the arrow tuned properly, it is matched up right.  Whether you tune it by point weight, shaft spine, or length doesn't matter.  If you already have arrows, going up in point weight will bring them in tune without affecting your trajectory (shouldn't take much additional weight up front).  Additional weight up front will also increase the FOC, which is a very good thing for penetration and 'forgivability' of the arrow.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 12:29:00 PM »
Ted at raptorarchery.com can fix you up with any variety of spines and weights.

Offline Ssamac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
Now that's what I need, Bjorn. I'll try
I guess Jeremy has a good point, but I've been trying some combinations of what I have in the house and some are simply funny and others are just not right. I need to get a whole new setup and start working from there.

Thanks
sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©