INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Any Ideas What Kind of Wood?  (Read 479 times)

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
Any Ideas What Kind of Wood?
« on: May 01, 2009, 04:15:00 PM »
Roy and Cameron were discussing a '62 Grizzly they saw advertised the other day and cameron noted that it was a '64 advertised as a '62, but that it was gone.  Well, here's my story.  I saw the bow and thought something wasn't right-a '62 Grizzly 58" with brown glass, can't be.  I figured a '64 same as Cameron, but it wasn't zebrawood.  The add said maple.  From listening to discussions about odd Bears, one of a kind Bears and the like, I decided that it was either a custom '62 or an odd colored '64.  Either way, I figured I should be the one to own it, and I do.

Here are pictures.  Cameron was right, it is definitely a '64, right shaped handle, brown glass, red and white tips overlays, not like my other '64.  But check out the wood.  If it's zebrawood, it's not like any I've ever seen.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any Ideas What Kind of Wood?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Phil, Beautiful bow. Wood is really interesting and unique. I do like those type of tip overlays as I have seen those before. Bear seems to have made quite a few "unique" bows. I can only imagine the others just sitting around in someones basement.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
Phil, I believe it really is zebrawood but is less figured than what we normally see.The grain just doesn't look like maple and I've seen rosewood- especially Brazilian- that was extremely varied in grain figure. It sure is an interesting and beautiful piece regardless of what wood it is. Congratulations.      GY

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
I agree very "open grained" zebrawood. Might have been the sapwood portion of a big piece of zebrawood. It has that same cool wormy looking grain through the palm side of the handle. Very interesting, unique item! CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
zebrawood and its a late 1964 or early 1965 most likely with fiberglass tip overlays.bowdoc

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the input, everyone.  We all hope for some rare, special order type, one of a kind, bow. I didn't figure it really was, but one can always hope.

No matter, I am very happy with it.  

Phil
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©