3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly Broadhead "weights"  (Read 237 times)

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly Broadhead "weights"
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
I received my first Grizzly broadheads today.
I bought the 125 grain broadheads and put them on my Digital scale and weighed them....
    They weighed anywhere from 137 to 141 is this normal for grizzlys to be more than they are supposed to be....
    Do they weigh more because you have to sharpen them so much, that they figure that you will take that much off them....?
    So is this the norm for Grizzlys....?
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly Broadhead "weights"
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
I too have noticed that new heads weigh more than marked. And I believe that an allowance for sharpening is the reason. It is surprising how much the weight changes.

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Like Bjorn said and you also noticed, they tend to run heavy but they should be about right after sharpening.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »
Yes you will lose alot of metal during the sharping process.  Leland

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
Mike ,
 a few years ago i had a customer in California order 13 x3 packs of Silver Flames  yes 13 packs . he was going after cape buff and wanted the very best broadheads available and was testing broadheads  and was going to Test the Silver Flames with all the rest he asked if i was interested in what he came up with when he was done .i said yes and a few weeks later i got an email back with a spread sheet of his findings .i was amazed at how many blades he had crap written after , they weren't sharp out of the box ,weights out 20 gr from head to head  in same package , they fell apart when they hit bone .
ps he killed his buff with a sliver flame and the PH Hunters he had asked him to leave all the 180gr heads he had with him .the Silver Flames were with in 1 gr of what they were marked --- herb

PS:this happened 2 years ago so i don't think anything has changed , just to expensive to throw out products that don't meet exact weight which is probably 80% or more and how many have grain scales or bother to check
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 09:27:00 PM »
i check, simmons are right on.

Offline Mr.Chuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 10:18:00 PM »
Hey Mike,  the only grizzly I find that are consistant in weight are the 160's.  I have the 100's that are as much as 20gns off, and 190's which are 10 to 15 gns either way!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©