INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: 59 Kodiak tip overlays need  (Read 507 times)

Offline coyote1956

• Trad Bowhunter
59 Kodiak tip overlays need
« on: May 03, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
Hopefully someone can help me out on this, I recently aquired this nice 59 Kodiak.  On my 36th shot, and wow this Bow shoots nice, the bottom tip overlayment popped off, went sailing about 15 feet in front of me , I'm thinking OMG my new bow broke !!!  
the overlayment cracked and came apart just above the string groove toward the tip. Nice clean break from bow.  
Can someone Please supply me with two newly made tips overlayments for this bow?  they are the white and reddish brown that look just like the ones supplied to the real bowdoc on his restoration 101 posts.  
Thank You very much.  Please PM me , or email me wiht details if you can help me out here.  
Ken
Go Afield wih bow and arrow  shoot and enjoy archery !!

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 59 Kodiak tip overlays need
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Kurt Bellefeuille has the tip overlay material, but they will have to be glued to the limbs and then shaped with a file and sandpaper and then sealed.  

Not too difficult a job if you're handy but you may want to send it to someone with experience for a tip replacement.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline kurtbel5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 08:21:00 PM »
Ken
Read through the restoration 101 thread and see if you want to tackle the job.
The material (micarta,phenolic) is stacks of colored paper or fabric...
I have red and white, but am still trying to find that weird maroon brown color.
          Kurt
Thanks Trap

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
Kurt, look at page 35 of Doc's restoration 101 thread.  Doc has a beautiful pic of a brown/white/red riser overlay on a MSW 59.  I think this color combo is what Ken needs.  

Trap
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline coyote1956

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 12:20:00 AM »
I have been talkng to Bjorn also, since i have the broken off overlay piece and it fits up great, I am going to clean it up and super glue back in place.  I think I just needed someone else to tell me they have done it like this and it will work.  so I just sandpapered the limb tip and back of overlay to get the (Paper!) stuff off and used loctite 420 to glue it back on. then some thicker gel type superglue to fill string groove a bit. I will file and smooth after it dries.  that white stuff between the overlay and reddish brown tip material sure felt just like paper to me , no wonder after 50 years it just kinda falls apart.
I put some of the superglue on my finger and went around the tip end  to help secure the small part of tip overlay, now if that goes flyin it will be hard to find.  I need to get it in my head that super glue really will fix things!  I am leery of the stuff being so good. I used loctite 420 for this and another repair of a cracked riser problem i had.

You Guys are the Greatest Thank You. Ken
Go Afield wih bow and arrow  shoot and enjoy archery !!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©