INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: '69 Super K  (Read 351 times)

Offline C Kerley

• Trad Bowhunter
'69 Super K
« on: May 12, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
This past week at the Black Widow shooting clinics a gentleman was shooting a '69 Super Kodiak.  I had never held a '68 or '69 and thought the riser was a combo of phenolic and rosewood caps, but I could see wood grain patterns in what I thought should be phenolic.  

So the question is....are these impregnated like my '72 and '76.  And if so, would a '67 be the same?

Offline ckruse

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: '69 Super K
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Carlos, if you look at a phenolic riser under strong light you can see what looks to be "grain" to it. It's actually just layers of paper which are compressed and impregnated with a resin. I've seen some that were faded to a degree by U.V. exposure that were almost a grey color. If you look at one that the Bowdoc or Rich has restored, they look as black as a Brunswick bowling ball. Hope you are doing ok, CKruse
"The lack of machinery puts you closer to the act- an act that is ethical, good, right, and correct."- CKruse

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: '69 Super K
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
1967 1/2 1968 & 1969 Super Kodiaks are all black phenolic.Some do show a grain look to them.Pending on how the phenolic was cut..bd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©